Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Mainstream gluten-free Yogurt?

23 posts in this topic

I am having trouble finding gluten free mainstream yogurt. My daughter wants to eat yogurt for breakfast, and the gluten-free stuff from the health food store is too expensive to be a staple. It's like $2.50 for a little thingy of it. At the grocery store I found Yoplait for 50 cents for a larger size, but it says modified food starch and I can't seem to get ahold of the company.

Please Help.

Ads by Google:

In Canada all Yoplait is gluten free except I think there's a cookie or oatmeal or something cookie-ish flavour, and that isn't gluten-free. I got an email response from Yoplait in August and I'm pretty sure the cookie kind came out after that. I'm at work, so I can't post the response. Also, I think pretty much all the Superstore (regular and Organics) are gluten-free, but I'm not 100% sure.

Can you tell I'm not a yogurt eater? I get my son the Yoplait tubes and buy the Yoplait source plain as an ingredient in buns from time to time.

I live in the western US and we have Mountain High yoghurt in most stores...it's gluten-free and also flavored with fructose and very healthy! It tastes great. So far I've only seen it in the large carton, but a big carton of strawberry usually costs just under $2.00.

I eat Yoplait all the time. They will plainly list any gluten ingredients - the only Yoplait flavors that I've seen with gluten in them are the granola mix-ins. Yoplait and Columbo both do this, and I eat both regularly (depending on which is on sale!) Hope that helps!

- Lauren

I am having trouble finding gluten free mainstream yogurt. My daughter wants to eat yogurt for breakfast, and the gluten-free stuff from the health food store is too expensive to be a staple. It's like $2.50 for a little thingy of it. At the grocery store I found Yoplait for 50 cents for a larger size, but it says modified food starch and I can't seem to get ahold of the company.

Please Help.

I posted in the past my reply from Stoneyfield Farms that their yogurt is gluten-free except Fudge flavor.

I like Dannon Plain Yogurt and Stonyfield Farm Plain. That way I can add what I want - fruit, honey, etc

yoplait in us... and as sillyak mentioned PLAIN flavor of Dannon or Stoneyfield...their flavors are not gluten-free.

I got a reply from Blue Bunny yogurt yesterday. They stated that all of their yogurt is gluten free. I have found this brand at Walmart. Hope that helps.

yoplait in us... and as sillyak mentioned PLAIN flavor of Dannon or Stoneyfield...their flavors are not gluten-free.

wait im confused, eeyor fan said that all stoneyfield farms flavors (except fudge) are gluten-free and this sounds like only the plain one is? I know only plain Dannon is but can you confirm Stoneyfield vanilla yogurt is gluten-free? I almost bought it yesterday but didnt b/c i remembered something about this post that confused me :)

I like Dannon Plain Yogurt and Stonyfield Farm Plain. That way I can add what I want - fruit, honey, etc

Dannon & Stonyfield state on their websites they cannot quarantee their yogurts are gluten free due to some sort of process. They may just be covering their asses but who knows? Yoplait is one of the only mainstream yougurts I researched that stated they were gluten free except for the obvious ones with cookies or granola etc.

they may have changed their policy...but when i cked on stoneyfield the only kind they could say gluten-free for sure was the plain--that all the various flavors may or may not have had gluten involved in their processing. (Just cked their site) okay, I pasted info off their website below. they seem to changed their tune a bit since i last checked on them... now they say their flavors should be gluten-free.

Does your plain, organic yogurt contain gluten?

Two Stonyfield products, Yo Baby Plus Cereal Yogurt and Brownie Sundae Premium Ice Cream, do contain gluten. All other Stonyfield yogurt products, frozen yogurt, and ice cream do not contain any gluten source ingredients. We do not add gluten to our products; however, some of the natural flavors used to make our products may have used a grain alcohol in the extraction process.

We are still in the process of learning more about Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to even miniscule amounts of gluten. We have difficulty answering questions because we are concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique and sensitive health issues without the person going through their doctor, especially since the outcome could be very serious.

they may have changed their policy...but when i cked on stoneyfield the only kind they could say gluten-free for sure was the plain--that all the various flavors may or may not have had gluten involved in their processing. (Just cked their site) okay, I pasted info off their website below. they seem to changed their tune a bit since i last checked on them... now they say their flavors should be gluten-free.

Two Stonyfield products, Yo Baby Plus Cereal Yogurt and Brownie Sundae Premium Ice Cream, do contain gluten. All other Stonyfield yogurt products, frozen yogurt, and ice cream do not contain any gluten source ingredients. We do not add gluten to our products; however, some of the natural flavors used to make our products may have used a grain alcohol in the extraction process.

We are still in the process of learning more about Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to even miniscule amounts of gluten. We have difficulty answering questions because we are concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique and sensitive health issues without the person going through their doctor, especially since the outcome could be very serious.

Thanks Jenvan, thats not comforting though! i will not be using stoneyfield- i mean, arent natural flavors the exact thing we are concerned about with yogurt? Im not stupid enough to think that a yogurt w/ cookie crunchies on it is gluten-free! The only thing that i know of that makes yogurt questionable is the natural flavors (at least thats the case for dannon) It sounds like Stoneyfield has no clue whats in their products. Im not a big fan of yoplait, but i guess I'm gonna have to be!

If the CYA statement comes from grain alcohol used for extracting flavors, I don't worry about it. Grain alcohol is distilled, and hence gluten-free. Not to mention the vast majority of cheap distilled alcohol for flavor extraction is corn based.

Looking back at the first post, I thought I should add that Yoplait will clearly list all gluten on the label (i.e. will not hide under flavorings, modified food starch, etc.)

I use Stoneyfield yogurts with no problems, it's just a CYA statement because their lawyers are making them use it... (at least that is what the rep I talked to said)... the girl I talked to on the phone also said she had Celiac, and she eats most of their flavors with no problem.

But also, Yoplait will clearly label any wheat, oats, barley or rye in their yogurt.

I heard a rumor that Publix brand yogurt was gluten free? Can anyone confirm that?

Stonyfieldf Farms Yogurt www.stonyfield.com Nov. 20, 2005

Looking back at the first post, I thought I should add that Yoplait will clearly list all gluten on the label (i.e. will not hide under flavorings, modified food starch, etc.)

thank you, that is good to know.

Thank all of you for helping :D

I think I am going with Yoplait, it's readily available here and I like to support companies that don't hide gluten.

As far as Stonyfieldf Farms, I am annoyed with their answer, not so much that they don't know but that they suggested "asking your doctor", how the heck would my doctor know? I got that from some nut at crayola one day, I called to ask about their modeling clay, and she said, "you need to ask your doctor about it, because we can't tell you what is in it", I mean if the people at crayola can't tell me the ingredients and they make the stuff how is my GI supposed to know?

btw I have since been able to get ahold of someone at Crayola that could help me. ;)

Publix yogurt is gluten free. I just got their list. It says creamy blends, fat free light, fruit on the bottom, no sugar added and fat free plain. all flavors of these types.

http://www.cascadefresh.com/

I just started buying this yogurt at my health food co op... It is clearly labeled gluten free and quite delicious.

I am trying to make a concious effort to support companies that clearly label gluten free.

Trader Joe's Organic Cream Line yogurt is really good and reasonably priced. It doesn't list any gluten ingredients but does say it is processed in a facility that uses soy. I haven't had any problems with it.

I use Stoneyfield yogurts with no problems, it's just a CYA statement because their lawyers are making them use it... (at least that is what the rep I talked to said)... the girl I talked to on the phone also said she had Celiac, and she eats most of their flavors with no problem.

But also, Yoplait will clearly label any wheat, oats, barley or rye in their yogurt.

I heard a rumor that Publix brand yogurt was gluten free? Can anyone confirm that?

If it was, it would have a gluten-free on the product, and the shelve.

If it was, it would have a gluten-free on the product, and the shelve.

Please be aware that this is a very old thread and ingredients could very well have changed since 2006.

Because corn is a problem for me, I only buy Dannon plain and add my own crushed fresh blueberries or other fruit. Healthier and tastier, and I can control how much (if any) sugar I put in it.

I have also just discovered that there is a LOT of nutrition in dried herbs like basil and thyme. I'm going to try using some Dannon plain with some garlic and herbs to make my own salad dressing.