22 replies to this topic

#1 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

I am having trouble finding gluten free mainstream yogurt. My daughter wants to eat yogurt for breakfast, and the gluten-free stuff from the health food store is too expensive to be a staple. It's like $2.50 for a little thingy of it. At the grocery store I found Yoplait for 50 cents for a larger size, but it says modified food starch and I can't seem to get ahold of the company.

Please Help.
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

In Canada all Yoplait is gluten free except I think there's a cookie or oatmeal or something cookie-ish flavour, and that isn't gluten-free. I got an email response from Yoplait in August and I'm pretty sure the cookie kind came out after that. I'm at work, so I can't post the response. Also, I think pretty much all the Superstore (regular and Organics) are gluten-free, but I'm not 100% sure.

Can you tell I'm not a yogurt eater? I get my son the Yoplait tubes and buy the Yoplait source plain as an ingredient in buns from time to time.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#3 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:39 AM

I live in the western US and we have Mountain High yoghurt in most stores...it's gluten-free and also flavored with fructose and very healthy! It tastes great. So far I've only seen it in the large carton, but a big carton of strawberry usually costs just under $2.00.
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#4 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:53 AM

I eat Yoplait all the time. They will plainly list any gluten ingredients - the only Yoplait flavors that I've seen with gluten in them are the granola mix-ins. Yoplait and Columbo both do this, and I eat both regularly (depending on which is on sale!) Hope that helps!

- Lauren

#5 eeyor_fan

eeyor_fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:12 AM

I am having trouble finding gluten free mainstream yogurt. My daughter wants to eat yogurt for breakfast, and the gluten-free stuff from the health food store is too expensive to be a staple. It's like $2.50 for a little thingy of it. At the grocery store I found Yoplait for 50 cents for a larger size, but it says modified food starch and I can't seem to get ahold of the company.

Please Help.

I posted in the past my reply from Stoneyfield Farms that their yogurt is gluten-free except Fudge flavor.
I first tested positive for celiac in August 2004. Born/raised in Canada, now lives in NJ. Borderline RA and problems with GI muscle disfunction since Dec 2005...BUT FIGHTING BACK HARDER EVERY DAY!!!

Life has no dress rehersals so live each moment as if it were your last! At the end of the day it is YOU that you have to answer to. Karma and fate is what you choose it to be! Never sacrafice your dreams or beliefs. If someone truely likes you, they like you for who you are, not what they want you to be!
Bridget

#6 sillyyak

sillyyak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

I like Dannon Plain Yogurt and Stonyfield Farm Plain. That way I can add what I want - fruit, honey, etc
Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:
Osteopenia
Hypothyroidism
Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)
Muscle weakness
Fatigue
Chronic Constipation
45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

#7 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:09 AM

yoplait in us... and as sillyak mentioned PLAIN flavor of Dannon or Stoneyfield...their flavors are not gluten-free.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#8 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:45 AM

I got a reply from Blue Bunny yogurt yesterday. They stated that all of their yogurt is gluten free. I have found this brand at Walmart. Hope that helps.

#9 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

yoplait in us... and as sillyak mentioned PLAIN flavor of Dannon or Stoneyfield...their flavors are not gluten-free.

wait im confused, eeyor fan said that all stoneyfield farms flavors (except fudge) are gluten-free and this sounds like only the plain one is? I know only plain Dannon is but can you confirm Stoneyfield vanilla yogurt is gluten-free? I almost bought it yesterday but didnt b/c i remembered something about this post that confused me :)

#10 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:51 PM

I like Dannon Plain Yogurt and Stonyfield Farm Plain. That way I can add what I want - fruit, honey, etc

Dannon & Stonyfield state on their websites they cannot quarantee their yogurts are gluten free due to some sort of process. They may just be covering their asses but who knows? Yoplait is one of the only mainstream yougurts I researched that stated they were gluten free except for the obvious ones with cookies or granola etc.

#11 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:03 AM

they may have changed their policy...but when i cked on stoneyfield the only kind they could say gluten-free for sure was the plain--that all the various flavors may or may not have had gluten involved in their processing. (Just cked their site) okay, I pasted info off their website below. they seem to changed their tune a bit since i last checked on them... now they say their flavors should be gluten-free.

Does your plain, organic yogurt contain gluten?
Two Stonyfield products, Yo Baby Plus Cereal Yogurt and Brownie Sundae Premium Ice Cream, do contain gluten. All other Stonyfield yogurt products, frozen yogurt, and ice cream do not contain any gluten source ingredients. We do not add gluten to our products; however, some of the natural flavors used to make our products may have used a grain alcohol in the extraction process.

We are still in the process of learning more about Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to even miniscule amounts of gluten. We have difficulty answering questions because we are concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique and sensitive health issues without the person going through their doctor, especially since the outcome could be very serious.

~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#12 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:58 PM

they may have changed their policy...but when i cked on stoneyfield the only kind they could say gluten-free for sure was the plain--that all the various flavors may or may not have had gluten involved in their processing. (Just cked their site) okay, I pasted info off their website below. they seem to changed their tune a bit since i last checked on them... now they say their flavors should be gluten-free.

Does your plain, organic yogurt contain gluten?
Two Stonyfield products, Yo Baby Plus Cereal Yogurt and Brownie Sundae Premium Ice Cream, do contain gluten. All other Stonyfield yogurt products, frozen yogurt, and ice cream do not contain any gluten source ingredients. We do not add gluten to our products; however, some of the natural flavors used to make our products may have used a grain alcohol in the extraction process.

We are still in the process of learning more about Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to even miniscule amounts of gluten. We have difficulty answering questions because we are concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique and sensitive health issues without the person going through their doctor, especially since the outcome could be very serious.

Thanks Jenvan, thats not comforting though! i will not be using stoneyfield- i mean, arent natural flavors the exact thing we are concerned about with yogurt? Im not stupid enough to think that a yogurt w/ cookie crunchies on it is gluten-free! The only thing that i know of that makes yogurt questionable is the natural flavors (at least thats the case for dannon) It sounds like Stoneyfield has no clue whats in their products. Im not a big fan of yoplait, but i guess I'm gonna have to be!

#13 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

If the CYA statement comes from grain alcohol used for extracting flavors, I don't worry about it. Grain alcohol is distilled, and hence gluten-free. Not to mention the vast majority of cheap distilled alcohol for flavor extraction is corn based.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#14 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:08 AM

Looking back at the first post, I thought I should add that Yoplait will clearly list all gluten on the label (i.e. will not hide under flavorings, modified food starch, etc.)

#15 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:56 AM

I use Stoneyfield yogurts with no problems, it's just a CYA statement because their lawyers are making them use it... (at least that is what the rep I talked to said)... the girl I talked to on the phone also said she had Celiac, and she eats most of their flavors with no problem.

But also, Yoplait will clearly label any wheat, oats, barley or rye in their yogurt.

I heard a rumor that Publix brand yogurt was gluten free? Can anyone confirm that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: