This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Keratosis Pilaris - Link To Celiac?

achiera

achiera Rookie

i was wondering if anyone here also has Keratosis Pilaris. you know the red bumpy rash on the backs of your arms? ive had it since i was a teenager, and i was wondering if there was any link to celiac disease? both my sister and mother have it also, but not as severe as i do. they both have some strange symptoms but no diagnosis of celiac disease as of yet. im doing a gluten challenge for the past 8 months and i noticed the kp has spread to my thighs, knees, and calves.ive also noticed an increase of the bumps since ive gained about 30 lbs in the past 8 months! damn, maybe i shouldnt have done this stupid challenge! lol, anyway, any input is much appreciated! KeratosisPilaris.org has great info on kp.

alexis

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I have that. The first time I noticed that there might be a link to something bigger was when I went on an anti-candida diet about five years ago, which by its nature is gluten-free. The KP went away almost completely on one arm with just a few scattered bumps, but was just as bad as ever on the other. It's stayed that way all these years too. It was just now that I checked and found that my bad arm is now just as scantly KP as my good arm is now. I haven't been eating much gluten lately. I'm supposed to for testing still, but sometimes I just can't make myself do it. It will be interesting to note how the KP reacts to how much gluten I have.

Very interesting.

Nancy

mommida Enthusiast

My son and I have that. The more gluten, the more bumps.

achiera Rookie

ok this is interesting, so maybe there is a link afterall! i was thinking back to when i was completly gluten free and i can't remember ever worrying about the kp, so i guess it was less then too. and it was only on my arms, since going on gluten again its everywhere! i cant wait to take the stupid blood test so i can go gluten free again! lol

alexis

lonewolf Collaborator

This is interesting for sure. My youngest son (adopted) has it really bad on his arms, legs and a little on his cheeks. I asked the doctor about it when I had all my kids in for celiac testing last week and he assured me that it wasn't related at all. (This doctor was up-to-date on Celiac too.) This was the second doctor that had assured me it wasn't related to diet in any way. My son's celiac panel came back negative, so I thought the doctor was right. Now I'm wondering...

Liz

mommida Enthusiast

I'm having major keyboard issues. Could someone post on the other site about a possible connection to gluten? I would have done anything to get rid of those bumps. If a gluten free diet can get rid of it for three people, it is worth knowing about.

Laura

Guest kim07
i was wondering if anyone here also has Keratosis Pilaris. you know the red bumpy rash on the backs of your arms? ive had it since i was a teenager, and i was wondering if there was any link to celiac disease? both my sister and mother have it also, but not as severe as i do. they both have some strange symptoms but no diagnosis of celiac disease as of yet. im doing a gluten challenge for the past 8 months and i noticed the kp has spread to my thighs, knees, and calves.ive also noticed an increase of the bumps since ive gained about 30 lbs in the past 8 months! damn, maybe i shouldnt have done this stupid challenge! lol, anyway, any input is much appreciated! KeratosisPilaris.org has great info on kp.

alexis

Hello Achiera,

I was just wondering does the Keratosis Pilaris ever itchy and red or get aggravated after you take a shower. Are they the size of goose bumps? Kind of feel like goose bumps buy stay around for a much longer period of time then goose bumps stay around? My skin condition gets really aggravated like I said after I bathe, so I try to take relatively quick showers and stay out of the water, and make sure I use all gluten free soaps and shampoo and conditioner. Before I was using an oatmeal body wash (Aveeno) and it would aggravate it so badly, it would itch like crazy. Now it's so much better sense I've change bath and hair products, but I still get it almost every day.

I've gained 30 to 35 lbs also, I have noticed an increase of these tiny red bumps, not a huge increase, but deffinitely an increase in these bumps on my legs, thighs, chest area especially. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing?

If we are then yes, the gluten must have somthing to do with it. Have you found that you have gained a little weight going gluten free? I know I have, and with my extreme fatigue issues, and depression its been hard to make myself get out there and exercise. I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you.

Anyway, just wondering if any of this sounds familiar to you--

Kim 07 :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 years later...
Remenyke Rookie

This is very interesting. I have severe KP on my arms and legs. I don't ever wear shorts or shorter skirts. I'd like to, but my skin is so embarrassing. I've been gluten free since New Years, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my KP hasn't cleared up a bit. I use Cetaphil and and brillopad-like exfoliate and it's helped a little on my arms. not so much on my legs. I've had it since I can remember and it was only the front of my thighs. I'm eighteen now and it's spread to the backs of my thighs and down my calves. It's on the backs of my upper and lower arms and on my elbows. It's starting to slowly spread up my back.

What do I do!?!? Am I doing something wrong with my gluten-free??

cyberprof Enthusiast
This is very interesting. I have severe KP on my arms and legs. I don't ever wear shorts or shorter skirts. I'd like to, but my skin is so embarrassing. I've been gluten free since New Years, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my KP hasn't cleared up a bit. I use Cetaphil and and brillopad-like exfoliate and it's helped a little on my arms. not so much on my legs. I've had it since I can remember and it was only the front of my thighs. I'm eighteen now and it's spread to the backs of my thighs and down my calves. It's on the backs of my upper and lower arms and on my elbows. It's starting to slowly spread up my back.

What do I do!?!? Am I doing something wrong with my gluten-free??

Give it more time. I used to have this all over but noticed last summer after a year gluten-free that it was gone. I hope it clears up for you...maybe next summer you'll be wearing shorts and short skirts!

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I had KP, really bad on my arms and legs. My dermatologist gave me a salicylic lotion to use but it didn't work. The only thing that worked was the gluten free diet. I haven't had a problem since I went gluten free.

dtgirl Rookie

I just wanted to add that the same thing happens to me but has cleared up when am gluten free, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

April in KC Apprentice

Vitamin A deficiency can cause skin bumps almost identical to keratosis pilaris. Night blindness is another symptom of vit A deficiency.

Salax Contributor

I also have KP. I have noticed since going gluten-free that it's slowly going away.

Michi8 Contributor

I have KP, but have not been diagnosed celiac. The KP has be spreading since my daughter was born almost 7 years ago...now it's on my face, neck, shoulders, chest, arms and has been spreading down my back to my waist. According to doctors it's not caused by anything and is not harmful, because every test shows I'm "normal" (It's apparently not treatable either.) I think my thyroid is at the root...could be Hashis for all I know...and it's probably related to gluten intolerance. Just waiting to get sick enough for the tests to be positive so that I can erase the "hypochondriac label" I have been given, and get proper treatment. Bleh.

Michelle

• 8 months later...
kwin Newbie

hi

i'm just going through being diagnosed with celiac... went to a naturopath last week. she told me what i always thought was rosacea on my arms is in fact pilaris keratosis. she also told me this is caused by an essential fatty acid deficiency (it seems i am deficient in everything). i've been taking 1 tsp of EFA fish oil (gross i know) daily and though its only been 8 days my arms have never looked this good. hope this helps.

katy

alexis

MRM Apprentice

i have KP as do my sister and mother. they both have gluten intolerance. my mother has thyroid issues also. my daughter seems to have skin issues and she has a wheat intolerance. there's definitely a connection with our family.

Juliebove Rising Star

i have KP as do my sister and mother. they both have gluten intolerance. my mother has thyroid issues also. my daughter seems to have skin issues and she has a wheat intolerance. there's definitely a connection with our family.

Hmmm... Daughter used to have this but doesn't know. I had assumed it was caused by dairy. But she outgrew her dairy allergy, now has some dairy and no bumps. She also outgrew the gluten allergy but not wheat. Because of this, her diet is still mainly gluten-free, but it did open up a few possibilities like barely and malt. Still no bumps!

kayo Explorer

I recently came across KP aka 'chicken skin' on the DH thread. I have had this my whole life and never knew it had a name.

I noticed it got worse within the past 3-5 years. I thought it was just my pale Irish skin!! Since going gluten-free and soy free the bumps on my arms have softened a bit. The dots on my legs aren't very bumpy but they are very pigmented, reddish purple color. That hasn't improved yet with the diet.

I'm using apple cider vinegar on my legs to see if that will help (read that somewhere, the odor does fade rather quickly) and a lotion that has glycolic acid on my arms and my cheeks (Heel of Approval). I figure I have a few more weeks of wearing long sleeves and long pants to see if my experiment works. There are some products like KP duty and Chicken Skin but I'm not sure if they're gluten free and they're expensive. That's plan B. Plan C is to see a dermatologist.

It makes sense that this could be related to GI/celiac even if indirectly. The GI/celiac causes vitamin deficiency and the KP is linked to Vitamin A deficiency.

I have night blindness as well. I hate driving at night, especially in the rain. Everything sort of blurs together. I wear glasses at night when driving which helps. I'm sure my fellow road mates are glad too :P

DAKS-81 Newbie

I've had KP for as long as I can remember. I started a gluten-free diet three weeks ago and have seen it clear up to a level that meds never came close to.

• 7 years later...
celeslceleste Newbie

Once you go gluten free, how long does it take to go away? I've been struggling with this since forever... It's everywhere exept my arms and feet

cyclinglady Grand Master
6 hours ago, celeslceleste said:

Once you go gluten free, how long does it take to go away? I've been struggling with this since forever... It's everywhere exept my arms and feet

If you think you have celiac disease, you should get tested before going gluten free.  Learn more:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

KP seems to run in families.  Celiac disease might not be the cause, but malabsorption might be and celiac disease causes malabsorption (so can other things like a food famine).    You can learn more here:

http://theceliacmd.com/2016/02/gluten-and-keratosis-pilaris-chicken-skin/

What you can do is eat more vegetables!  Safe and effective.  

• 2 years later...
Darlene C Newbie
On 12/27/2005 at 11:00 PM, achiera said:

alexis

Alexis- a gluten challenge doesn’t have to be more than 2 months! You can get tested after only 6 weeks usually