18 replies to this topic

#16 MRM

MRM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

i have KP as do my sister and mother. they both have gluten intolerance. my mother has thyroid issues also. my daughter seems to have skin issues and she has a wheat intolerance. there's definitely a connection with our family.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

i have KP as do my sister and mother. they both have gluten intolerance. my mother has thyroid issues also. my daughter seems to have skin issues and she has a wheat intolerance. there's definitely a connection with our family.

Hmmm... Daughter used to have this but doesn't know. I had assumed it was caused by dairy. But she outgrew her dairy allergy, now has some dairy and no bumps. She also outgrew the gluten allergy but not wheat. Because of this, her diet is still mainly gluten-free, but it did open up a few possibilities like barely and malt. Still no bumps!

#18 kayo

kayo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

I recently came across KP aka 'chicken skin' on the DH thread. I have had this my whole life and never knew it had a name.

I noticed it got worse within the past 3-5 years. I thought it was just my pale Irish skin!! Since going gluten-free and soy free the bumps on my arms have softened a bit. The dots on my legs aren't very bumpy but they are very pigmented, reddish purple color. That hasn't improved yet with the diet.

I'm using apple cider vinegar on my legs to see if that will help (read that somewhere, the odor does fade rather quickly) and a lotion that has glycolic acid on my arms and my cheeks (Heel of Approval). I figure I have a few more weeks of wearing long sleeves and long pants to see if my experiment works. There are some products like KP duty and Chicken Skin but I'm not sure if they're gluten free and they're expensive. That's plan B. Plan C is to see a dermatologist.

It makes sense that this could be related to GI/celiac even if indirectly. The GI/celiac causes vitamin deficiency and the KP is linked to Vitamin A deficiency.

I have night blindness as well. I hate driving at night, especially in the rain. Everything sort of blurs together. I wear glasses at night when driving which helps. I'm sure my fellow road mates are glad too :P
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#19 DAKS-81

DAKS-81

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

I've had KP for as long as I can remember. I started a gluten-free diet three weeks ago and have seen it clear up to a level that meds never came close to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: