27 replies to this topic

#1 carriecraig

carriecraig

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:08 AM

Does anyone know if there is a link between Psoriasis and Celiac? I've always has blotches on my scalp, and a few spots have sprouted on my body, but I use body lotion everyday, so those seem to go away. My father has severe Psoriasis all over his body, and I'm wondering if he may have Celiac and not know it.
Carrie
Blood test May 25, 2005
Positive diagnosis through Endoscopy June 13, 2005
gluten-free since then...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

I have psoriasis too, but I actually don't know if I have Celiac for sure. I do know that I'm gluten intolerant, for whatever reason. Gluten-free doesn't make my psoriasis go away, but dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, beef-free does. When I'm really disciplined and eat nothing but fish, rice, vegies and fruit my skin will clear up.

Liz
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#3 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:46 AM

I think absolutely. I have it on my scalp and my father has it severely all over his body too! That's a heck of a coincidence--we should compare case histories on our dads! I have some article I can send you re: the connection if you pm me. I'll have to dig them up. For me, just like everything else it seemed...my psoriasis became much worse after going gluten-free. That's been about 10 months now. It is just now started to improve. I have had it off and on most of my life. Shirley also had problems with psoriasis--said hers was worse for 2 yrs or so after going gluten-free, but then improved any bothers her mostly when she is sick or run down I believe. Right Shirley :) ? Mine also gets worse when I am sick or rundown.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

For me, just like everything else it seemed...my psoriasis became much worse after going gluten-free.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I've only been totally gluten-free for 5+ weeks. My psoriasis has not gotten better, but maybe I should just give it some time (and Dovonex). I do remember that my psoriasis got worse, not better at first when I eliminated all those foods from my diet, but it eventually went away. It came back as I slowly reintroduced some of those foods. I guess the new year will be a good time for an elimination diet!

Liz
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#5 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

I don't know if there's a link or not, but my six year old has psoriasis, and has had it for two years now. He has it on both knees, and it is coming back on his elbows. Sunlight seems to really help clear his skin. This past summer, I was expecting the chlorine to really irritate it, but the psoriasis completely cleared up by the end of the summer! It came back with a vengeance once school started though, but not as badly on his elbows since it's been warm and he's been able to wear short sleeves.

I've read psoriasis is hereditary, but I can't find anyone on dh's side or mine that has it. So, maybe it is gluten related....my mother's side of the family is full of people with stomach issues, and my brother has celiac. So, it wouldn't be too strange if I had more than one child with a gluten intolerance!
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

#6 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

I've had psoriasis on my scalp forever, and used to have it all over my trunk when I was a teenager. I get spots on my face, too. But a lot of the time it looks more like dermatitis herpetiformis to me. I sort of think that those are related.

My head isn't as itchy since I got rid of the shampoo with wheat germ in it, and it seems to be clearing up somewhat in the other areas.

Somehow it takes up to two years for something to clear up under the skin that makes you break out after going off gluten (can't remember the name). That would make sense, if you guys find it takes about two years for it to get better. Mine also initially got worse after stopping gluten, and is slowly getting a little better.

My sister used to get terrible eczema on the inside of her elbows and knees, which looked just like the pictures of dermatitis herpetiformis I saw (and so did my youngest daughter, I am waiting for her blood test results to come back), and I am very sure she has Celiac disease, too (she says she will get tested, but since she is in Germany, I can't drag her to the doctor's office myself :rolleyes: ).
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 bluelotus

bluelotus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:24 PM

Check out the book called Dangerous Grains. Apparently, psoriasis is related to celiac disease, though I can't remember how (i.e. if it is genetically linked or not). I have psoriasis too, on my scalp, elbows, knees, and nails - yes, nails....yuck, looks like I took sandpaper to my nails and scratched them up......it can also get on your toenails and looks like a fungal infection, though a lab analysis can confirm psoriasis. My psoriasis got better recently after I found some hidden glutens in my diet and cut them out. But, I think I was glutened over the holidays by being licked on the mouth by a pet dog....gross. Hope its not enough to trigger my psoriasis, though my scalp is sooo itchy today! Ugh....

Edited by bluelotus, 30 December 2005 - 08:24 PM.

The temple bell stops
but the sound keeps coming
out of the flowers
-Zen Haiku Master Basho

#8 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

I bought the book 'Dangerous Grains', and it arrived not too long before Christmas. Needless to say, I haven't had time to read it yet! But I will, I know it will explain so much. I also bought the 'Gluten free bible' (I think that's what it's called, too lazy to go and check), same thing, no time. I'll have time in the new year, when youngest kid and husband are back at school and work, other kids and grandkids have travelled back to where they live, and there'll be some peace and quiet around here! Plus, since the mother of the kids I was babysitting is starting her maternity leave for her third boy in January, I won't work, either. :)
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

I think they are. I have psoriasis on my head, neck, some of my stomach (little spots), leg...the same spots I have DH. Some places where DH got bad enough I notice it started into little patches of psoriasis. So yes, i believe they are connected.
~lis~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#10 Nickie

Nickie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:03 AM

My dermotologist tested me for DH, little blisterlike spots,clear or blood filled on hands, legs, elbows, buttocks, face, which is related to gluten intolorence, on Dapsone, and antibiotic from the 30's or 40's used also to treat leporsy. Seems to be working, not itching like crazy anymore. Had blood test done on 2/27, no results yet. Have had the rash for 20 years, first thought to be eczema and then pustular psoriasis, since it runs in my family. Got asthma when I was 17 after I started getting the rash. Trying to go gluten free even if my blood test come back negative. Just finally glad to find out what the rash is, very uncomfortable and unsightly and painful. Hope this helps.
Diagnosed with DH 2/27/06, with positive skin biopsy, after 24 years
Diagnosed with celiac disease 3/7/06 with positive bloodtests

#11 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

Well add me to the list with fathers that have or had (in my case) this ugly disease. My dad was covered 90% of his body in the early 80's and in the hospital for 15 days. The dermatologist said the it was the worst case she had ever seen. He even bought his own puva lamp so he could take his treatments at home.....In fact I now would like to sell it since he is now an angel without pain .....He also had Mr Arthur in just about every joint in his body.....I don't seem to have it but it appears that I take after my dad's side of the family.I have loads of problems as well as he also had.......

I now think he must have been celiac....but I will never know. The rest of my family siblings will not get tested as they think my daughter and two grandchildren are a little looney for followering the diet but I truly believe with some of their health problems they too probably have celiac. Then it might be denial as they don't want to think about going on this diet....

mamaw

#12 Mulljac

Mulljac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

Does anyone know if there is a link between Psoriasis and Celiac? I've always has blotches on my scalp, and a few spots have sprouted on my body, but I use body lotion everyday, so those seem to go away. My father has severe Psoriasis all over his body, and I'm wondering if he may have Celiac and not know it.

Well I just want to add my 2 cents. I've had psoriasis on my elbows for about 20 yrs or so. And a patch on my ankle that came up about a year ago. I've been gluten free since Nov. and my psoriasis has practically disappeared altogether. I can't believe the difference. I was on prescription meds and they never helped but going gluten-free has done wonders for my skin. My elbows are a tiny bit dry but nothing like they used to be. Guess everyone reacts differently by going gluten-free.

#13 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:02 AM

Well I just want to add my 2 cents. I've had psoriasis on my elbows for about 20 yrs or so. And a patch on my ankle that came up about a year ago. I've been gluten free since Nov. and my psoriasis has practically disappeared altogether. I can't believe the difference. I was on prescription meds and they never helped but going gluten-free has done wonders for my skin. My elbows are a tiny bit dry but nothing like they used to be. Guess everyone reacts differently by going gluten-free.

That's great news Mulljac! And yeah, just more proof that everyone reacts differently. Still waiting for mine to disappear!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#14 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

Just to add to Mulljac's post my husband had a patch of psoriasis on his knee for at least 10 yrs.
This in itself was not a big problem.

Around 5 yrs ago hubbie was dx with Psoriatic Arthritis.

Nearly 2 years ago he was dx with celiac disease.

Once he started the gluten-free diet ,the patch on his knee disappeared within weeks,and hasn't returned.

The arthritis has calmed down alot since the diet too.

Going round in circles here,but did one cause the other?,and which came first? :blink:
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#15 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:24 AM

Nikki-I am glad to hear of your husband's improvement!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: