This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

Okay, this might seem silly to all of you who understand being "glutened", but I have been reading your posts for about 6 weeks now and keep thinking that you are all very sensitive, because I don't react that strongly to ingesting gluten. I had enough symptoms to make me realize that I needed to go gluten free, but I just couldn't relate to being glutened. Until yesterday. Maybe starting Wednesday night. We went to the Outback, I ordered from the gluten-free menu. Everything seemed fine. I woke up at about 2:00 am with a bad stomach ache and gas (this had actually started earlier). Finally went back to sleep and didn't think too much of it, but wondered if the meal had been contaminated somehow. Yesterday the kids and I tore into the Christmas gingerbread house and I tried a "Lego" candy that my son had built a fireplace with. Only ate one because I realized after eating it that it was the only candy that I wasn't sure about being gluten-free. A couple of hours later I was in total agony - gas pain, stomach pain - almost doubled over. "D" would have been a big relief. This lasted for several hours, this morning I just feel nauseated. I don't know if it was the meal or the candy or a combination of both, but this has convinced me to be even more careful. By the way, I've had this same problem dozens of times over the past several years and never realized it was related to gluten. I guess I'm a slow learner. (I've only been completely gluten-free for about 6 weeks now.)

Liz

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Liz--Sorry you had to go through that. Possibly, you are becoming more sensitive to gluten the longer you are off of it. Thats what happened to me and a lot of others here. Since you've only been gluten-free for 6 weeks, this sounds just about right. I'm 7 mo. gluten-free and have become highly sensitive. I have to be very careful of CC issues. As time goes on, you have to be diligent about keeping the gluten out and be aware that symptoms and sensitivities can change. I really hope you feel better soon :)

jenvan Collaborator

Liz-

Hey ! You aren't a slow learner :) Its more that there is so much info to know! It is interesting b/c people have such varied reactions...some of us don't even have much of a noticeable reaction immediately after getting gluten either. It sounds like you might have come in contact with some contamination. Had your son handled that lego after handling other materials? Did you use the typical graham crackers to assemble? Thinking back and analyzing what you've come in contact with to find the source is important. (I do also believe that not every GI issue symptom we experience may be related to gluten. Sometimes its another food intolerance or a combination of foods or even perhaps the flu...) Hope you feel better soon!

lonewolf Collaborator
Did you use the typical graham crackers to assemble? Thinking back and analyzing what you've come in contact with to find the source is important. (I do also believe that not every GI issue symptom we experience may be related to gluten. Sometimes its another food intolerance or a combination of foods or even perhaps the flu...) Hope you feel better soon!

The gingerbread house was 100% gluten-free - made it from scratch. The only candy that I wasn't sure about was the little candy lego bricks, and of course I ate one without thinking first. I agree that not every GI issue is gluten related, but I know for sure I haven't had any eggs, soy or milk (the other things I don't eat). It might have been a delayed reaction from the Outback, but there's no way to know for sure. I have eaten VERY little gluten during the past 10 years, just a few stints of trying spelt and barley and not being careful with hidden glutens and cross-contamination. But I have had, like I said, dozens (maybe hundreds?) of these episodes. I hadn't had any troubles at all since going completely gluten-free right before Thanksgiving and I actually have cheated with eggs (in cookies). So this is why I think it was gluten related. I'm not going to do a trial on myself though, just think I'll be extra careful. I'm feeling a lot better already.

Liz

jenvan Collaborator

oh okay...i wasn't sure if you bought a premade kit or did from scratch--good for you making that! so you are now completely gluten-free, post thanksgiving? since you've been good since then, seems like the contamination is likely. sometimes i feel like eating out will always be a gamble. ! so are you attributing all those other episodes to contamination too, before you went gluten-free? i couldn't tell from your post...but it seemed like you were getting a gluten fairly frequently? hopefully this time things will stick and those issues will all but disappear! btw, i have a delayed reaction to gluten...not one of those who notice instant symptoms...more like a day or two later.

Becky6 Enthusiast

I am sorry! I have been gluten-free about a month now and something got me earlier this week and I am not sure what! But I got my old grumbling tummy back and awful gas. I also got a headache and felt awful! Since then I realized I really need to be careful and take no chances!

Archived