7 replies to this topic

#1 Idahogirl

Idahogirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:13 PM

Just wondering if anyone has had to do a paper mache project and how you approached it. gluten-free flour is way too expensive to use, and I am very leary about soaking my hands in regular flour (not to mention getting it everywhere-it is so messy!) Luckily, my husband is helping out, so I am sitting out. Has anyone had a reaction after making paper mache?

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:27 PM

I used watered down elmers school glue to make papier mache... I would not be excited about having to dip my hands in flour... nope... not at all...

#3 sneako

sneako

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:00 PM

At work I am often doused in flour for making pizzas, breading chicken, or thousands of other items, plus I am a Pasta Chef, will contact with Gluten have adverse effects or does ingesting it only affect a person?

#4 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:04 AM

unfortunatly for you, yes contact with it can cause problems. The reason for this is that flour particles are so fine and can fly up in the air and into your nose and mouth. Once they are in your mucous membranes they can be ingested and even ONE MOLECULE can cause damage.

A friend of mine that has Celiac, has been working in bulk foods at the store she works at, and her Dr. said the reason she is not getting better is because she is inhaling the flour (gluten) on a daily basis. So... after the first of the year she will be looking for another job.

#5 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:53 AM

At work I am often doused in flour for making pizzas, breading chicken, or thousands of other items, plus I am a Pasta Chef, will contact with Gluten have adverse effects or does ingesting it only affect a person?

Ouch, if you have celiac disease, you better find yourself a new job, this one is likely (literally) going to kill you eventually!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 princessfuzzball

princessfuzzball

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

Ditto to what everywone else said. I got let go from my job because the management would not let me wear a dust mask, so I'm looking for a new job, as I got sick a lot! please, look for a new job!
Gluten Free
The way to be.

#7 ILOVEOMC

ILOVEOMC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

I just substitute rice flour for regular flour when making paper machie. I use rice flour and then add water to get it really thin and dip newspaper strips into the mixture and put on balloon. It hards nicely in a day or two.

#8 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

Ditto to what everywone else said. I got let go from my job because the management would not let me wear a dust mask, so I'm looking for a new job, as I got sick a lot! please, look for a new job!

I can't believe they would not let you wear a mask! Is this the same place that made you work in the bakery even though you were getting sick? Thats crazy. Isn't there some law against that? I think if you need to wear a mask then they cant let you go over it. Am I wrong? :unsure:
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: