Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Could I Have?

4 posts in this topic

I am finding all this information extremely helpful. Here is my story so far....

I have been "struggling" with an illness (??) for as long as I can remember. I am now 35, married with beautiful 2 year old twins. For more than 20 years I have seeing various Doctor with the following symptoms:

Cronic tiredness

Night terrors

loose bowel movements after most meals (although I have only just tomld my current Doctor this due to be not thinking it was relevant (IDIOT!!)

It is also interesting to note that I matured later than most of my peers (I was about 18 when I had my main growing spurt).

I have owned and operated my own business for the past 6 years and more often than not I have been struggling with motivation, tiredness, lack of energy, concentration, anxiety. I often, due to the tiredness feel like I am wasting away my life. This has an enormous effect on me both from a business point of view and a personal satisfaction point of view. My confidence is at an all time low.

Some of the attempted solutions offered by Doctors have been:

ADHD and prescribed ritilin10

Depression and prescribed Zoloft

Haemochromotosis (did not have the gene!)

Neither of these had any positive effect on me at all. Two days ago, my wife heard an interview on the radio about the effects and symptoms of Celiac desease and suggested that I do some research. EVERY THING I have read makes perfect sense to me.

My Doctor, who I have been seeing for over 2 years order me a blood test today, which I did. I am expecting to have these results early next week.

I would like to know if any of my symptoms ring true with any one else?

In a bizarre sort of way I am hoping that the blood test and biopsy are both positive so I can get on with actually working out a way to feel better. If this happens, what can expect to occur and in what time frame?

Any other stories/ experiences would be happily read.

Your symptoms are typical of celiac disease. Make sure that you continue eating gluten for all of your testing or else you could get false negative results. Here are the names of the blood tests that you can have done:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Keep us posted on your results :)

many thanks.

I will definately keep you posted. How much better do you feel now compared with pre gluton free stage of your life?