13 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:35 PM

Is anyone else in the mist of posting getting erased by pop-ups? I keep getting the vacume cleaner guy.

If it is me, I will run some scans. Please let me know if others are having this problem.

Lisa B.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:43 PM

Is anyone else in the mist of posting getting erased by pop-ups? I keep getting the vacume cleaner guy.

If it is me, I will run some scans. Please let me know if others are having this problem.

Lisa B.

I have never had any popups on this forum, but I am currently running Mozilla, and it does a fairly good job blocking popups...
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:05 PM

Nope, no pop ups either at home or at work....I think we have blockers at work and I have one at home.

#4 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:34 PM

I've never had any pop-ups on this forum either.
Rachel

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

Me either.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

OK. I ran a scan while we went out for dinner tonight. Hope this will help. Thank for directing the problem back to me to fix it. Have a good new year every one. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

I get no popups on here, but then I run Safari. I don't get stuff like that on a Mac.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#8 celiachap

celiachap

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:07 PM

I got a new notebook computer yesterday, installed the (included) trial version of McAfree - and just after I read the "spammer" thread here, I got the Orick pop-up.

Well, there's one claim that the guy can't make for his products: that they can restore hair. :P
Diagnosed with Celiac March, 2005: Positive endoscopy, blood tests and biopsy. Gluten free since March 2005.

Retested Jan. 2006: Negative blood tests: "Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected."

Results for 2006 endoscope/biopsy pending.

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
-Thomas Jefferson

Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Robert Green Ingersoll

#9 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:44 AM

Nope! Never have! But I have macafee and it blocks all popups! Even pages that I am trying to open if they are a link!

#10 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:00 AM

I have not seen any popups on this site, its possible your machine is infected with spyware/etc, you should get one of the good scanners like...

Spy Bot Search and Destroy
Ad-Aware

There are others, including an MS one, but those two work best in my experence. Others will have thier own opinions of course. :D

- Vincent -

#11 celiachap

celiachap

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:48 AM

I have not seen any popups on this site, its possible your machine is infected with spyware/etc, you should get one of the good scanners like...

Spy Bot Search and Destroy
Ad-Aware

There are others, including an MS one, but those two work best in my experence. Others will have thier own opinions of course. :D

I hear what you're saying, but these things work differently on different systems - sometimes well enough, and other times they cause disasters, which happened to my Dell Windows ME desktop on Tuesday. I then screwed up and deleted Windows to do a reinstall, by disc, but I should not have deleted the "restore" dates.

I use Spybot, Ad Aware, Spyware Doctor, Spywareblaster, and Norton on my 5 year-old Dell/Windows ME rig, but when you do updates for Windows, Norton, etc,. they conflict with each other on Windows ME.

I bought a new notebook two days ago - I can't wait for the desktop repairs right now.

This new notebook, my first, is a Toshiba M45-S169. I'm enjoying it very much, and DVD's play great - the screen is 15.4 inches, rectangular, and very compatable with "widescreen" movie disks. For under a thousand bucks, this is the type of machine to get - at least for first-time "laptop" buyers like myself. There are other good ones from various manufacturers as well, but I'm happy so far. I usually have better-than-average luck with all kinds of electronics.

I have American-built tube stereo equipment (Fisher, Scott, EICO, etc.) from the 50's and early 60's that still works and, for sound quality, blows away the best equipment made today - both foreign AND fine American high-end gear. Most everything else today is disposable, such as TV's and most "digital" equipment, and it's a shame. We need people like Saul Marantz!

End of rant. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edited by celiachap, 31 December 2005 - 10:50 AM.

Diagnosed with Celiac March, 2005: Positive endoscopy, blood tests and biopsy. Gluten free since March 2005.

Retested Jan. 2006: Negative blood tests: "Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected."

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
-Thomas Jefferson

Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Robert Green Ingersoll

#12 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

Alll I can say, is that in my epxerence on a varatiy of makes, models and OS's those programs worked very well and caused no problems, including Dell, csutom built, and other brands, using OS's from Win 98 through XP-MCE 2005. Like I said, others will post thier opinions, but in my esperence those are the best of the lot for spyware/adware removal.

- Vincent -

#13 celiachap

celiachap

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:28 AM

I may have inadvertantly clicked on the Orick advertisement on the right side of the Celiac message board, resulting in another Orick advertisement - so I guess it isn't technically "spam"?

-Thomas Jefferson

- Robert Green Ingersoll

#14 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

Very likely spyware. I add my recommendation that you get Spybot or Ad-Aware that Vincent suggested.... I run both religiously and have never had any issues with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: