21 replies to this topic

#16 velo_mike

velo_mike

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:32 AM

I've found that Sustained Energy from Hammer Nutrition ( http://www.e-caps.com/ ) works well but I"m not too sure about the ingredients. I asked them about if the product was gluten-free and they said it was.

Hi Jinscoe,

Good to hear from other cyclists with Celiac disease.

I will certainly try the Hammer Nutrition products. I have heard a lot of good things about them.

I also have a hard time eating during a race. I force myself to take gels. I also need more than just water for any efforts longer than 1 hour. I've tried Gatorade, but I think the sugars that it contains are too simple which causes a rise in insulin levels followed by an even lower drop in blood sugar.

Do you use any supplements for post-workout recovery?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Jinscoe

Jinscoe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

Do you use any supplements for post-workout recovery?

I have toyed with Endurox R4 in the past and found that it definitely does what it says... a little too much for me. The muscle recovery part of the product really relaxed me. As if I had just downed a whole bottle of Nyquil. Maybe I mixed it too strong or something... I don't know. The product is definitely gluten-free though. It does have whey protein in it so if you have any kind of dairy issues, you may want to consider that. I know they sell single serving packets if you wanted to give it a try. I think to really benefit from it though you'd have to use it at least for a week. Even still... five packets is cheaper than a 30 serving bottle.

I know there are several other products out there for the recovery process. I just haven't used any of them. I normally try to eat something healthy when I get home instead. Lean meats and vegetables. I've found that this helps.

Which gels are you using? I've found the Hammer Gel to work great as it's the right kind of complex carbs we need... and no simple sugars.

#18 velo_mike

velo_mike

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

Which gels are you using?

I have been using PowerGel, Cliff Shots and GU. I find GU works best. It contains more complex sugars and gives me a more even boost instead of a quick shot followed by a crash like the Cliff Shot does.

I have also tried Endurox R4 with OK results. I did not use it regularly though. Only after hard workouts and / or races. I was looking for something that I could take immediately following a race if I could not eat a good meal right away.

#19 Jinscoe

Jinscoe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

I asked my coach the same question last year because I just got tired of spending so much loot on scientific recovery drinks and gels. That stuff works okay but is also way expensive when you consider how much you go through in a month. Anyway, here's what my coach had to say...

- The post-event diet ... immediately after a race eat or drink some easily digestable carbohydrate and protien, and drink a lot of water. Yogurt / egg / banana / fruit juice smoothies can really get you back in gear for the next day. Then go for a warm down ride for at least 30 minutes if not an hour. Then on your way home grab a bite to eat somewhere that works with your diet. -

Now after talking to him further he suggested an energy bar immediately after a race. And if I had a smoothie that would be great. If not, at least the energy bar and a banana. The warm down ride was just as important, he said. And I would have to agree after two years of racing under his guidance. What I've been doing for the last year is get to the car after a race, grab a banana and some gatorade and then go for my warm down ride. Then drink lots of water in the car and grab a bite on the way home somewhere. Unless the race is close to home, then I'll just eat when I get home.

The few times I tried the smoothie option... it just didn't look right by the time I was done with my race. Nor did it smell that great. So I wouldn't suggest it unless you want to bring a cooler to keep it from spoiling.

I used the Endurox R4 for the week and experiemented with the mix. I found that using a bit more water in the mixture gives better results. Not so sluggish and relaxed later in the day and I felt way better the following day.

Thanks for the tip on the GU! I'll have to give it a try and see how it works for me.

#20 Jinscoe

Jinscoe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:43 AM

Hammer Nutrition has updated their energy bars...

http://www.e-caps.co...AMI=10082#info2

Gluten Free
Dairy Free

#21 velo_mike

velo_mike

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the info Jinscoe.

I will definitely give them a try.

#22 Lynne in MN

Lynne in MN

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

I hope it's not too late to ask questions on this thread. I've just been diagnosed less than a week ago. I've only been cycling for about a year and a half, but would consider myself to be more than just recreational. My goal is to try time trials, road races and a crit next season. I'm pretty old to be starting racing (just turned 40) and the celiac diagnosis is definitely not helping matters. I don't know exactly which of my problems are celiac and which are aging or some other issues, but in addition to "digestion" pain/problems, in the past year I've had increasing strength problems (very unusual; I'd done regular lifting from the age of 13 through my early 30's and built muscle very, very easily), big problems with what I thought was lactic acid buildup after every single ride (had to stop at the top of the stairs at home to catch my breath and also to (what I thought) let the blood get back into my legs), memory problems (that's been an issue for a long time, actually), "bonking" very easily on the bike, high heart rate, dehydration. Of course these issues have affected my progress, but certainly not deterred me.

I guess I'd like to know how long these symptoms might take to resolve? I'm not a very patient person (a good reason to try racing!), and I don't want to lose heart that at least some of these problems are related to Celiac. I'd read 6 mos and I'd read up to 2 yrs. I ride just about 4 times a week, generally 30 miles, but often more. Any ideas as to what I can maybe expect? My boyfriend and I had just moved to MN about 4 mos ago, and many of these problems have made heat acclimation very difficult. I want to keep riding, even in the heat. If the dehydration and heart rate resolve, I think I can do that very comfortably.
But the question is; what should I realistically expect?

BTW, thanks for the topic; good to know that gatorade is gluten-free. I've only been on the diet for less than a week, but I think I'm noticing differences. I did two bottles of regular flavor Gatorade (made from the powder) and some Hammer Gel for a 30 mile ride in very hot and humid conditions today, and am having the typical upset digestion issues right now. I thought it was the Gatorade or Hammer Gel, but I see here it is not. Maybe the first few weeks there are still bad days? :angry: I know, I know...patience....

Thanks! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: