25 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:35 AM

I am really wondering about the juice from the grass only of barley and wheat. I was told by a doctor that they DO NOT contain gluten - that only the grain part of the plant contains gluten. If this is true, then it would open up a lot of vitamins and healthy "green drinks". If the doctor was wrong, then he's wrong, but I don't want to avoid something unneccessarily.

I'm wondering if it's like being allergic or intolerant to milk and avoiding beef because it comes from the same basic source. Would this make sense? (I don't think so.)

Does anyone KNOW for sure? I've tried looking it up and haven't had much luck or time.

Liz
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

you can't *know* for sure, because of the process. as the grain sprouts, it uses up the energy stores that it's been holding - that includes the protein. it appears that what it gets metabolized into (the final, fully mature blade) does not contain the same proteins. but, when dealing with things made from wheat grass, you have to ask: is the blade fully mature, having used up *all* of the protein in the original grain? the process of using the energy in the grain is gradual - how do you know when it's "done"? is the grass harvested so cleanly that *no* grain particles are harvested along with the blades?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:30 PM

One of the things that happened to me that made me start noticing wheat as being a problem for me was when I almost passed out after drinking wheat grass. Which was scary because I was home alone with my 1yo and 2.5yo. Who know what they could have gotten into. :blink:

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:15 AM

The only people who I have ever heard say they are safe are non-celiacs. I wont take the chance. My sister is a dietician and she had a discussion with someone about wheat and barley grass and she told him that until he was celiac and could prove it didnt do damage, then she wasn't trying it. She has celiacs too. So, I will never even try it. Personelly, I dont understand why anyone would want it anyways! Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:54 AM

I agree with Tiffany...even if the protein has been eliminated--what a risk for contamination! I use products with wheat or barely or oat grass. Which is a bummer, b/c I had some great vitamins w/them once :(
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#6 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the responses. I just realized that my vitamins have barley grass juice in them - had run out for about 6 weeks and just got more. I guess I'll pass them on instead of taking a chance.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#7 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

Watch out for VEGA bars. They say gluten-free but they have wheat grass in them!
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#8 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:18 AM

I tried a protein/whey powder with "greens" including barley grass
container SAYS "gluten free"
BUT I get a (mild, but quite noticeable) reaction
So I'm steering clear for now
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#9 psipsina

psipsina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

I was at wholefoods last night and was looking at green drinks. I complained to DH audibly that they all had wheat grass in them and this lady next to me said "Well wheat grass is good for you". I explained that I was allergic to gluten and she looked at me like I was crazy and told me that wheatgrass is gluten free. It just seemed very counterintuitive to me that anything with wheat in the name would be safe so I didn't buy it and come here to check it out. Nice to know that I'm not crazy. Just the CC risk is mind boggling.
Pre-diagnosis misdiagnoses: endometriosis, migraines, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis
Diagnosed April 2006 with multiple food sensitivities (gluten, yeast, eggs, cow dairy, legumes, some nuts and veggies) and a systemic candida infection -no pre-diagnosis symptoms since!

#10 moldlady

moldlady

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

I was at wholefoods last night and was looking at green drinks. I complained to DH audibly that they all had wheat grass in them and this lady next to me said "Well wheat grass is good for you". I explained that I was allergic to gluten and she looked at me like I was crazy and told me that wheatgrass is gluten free. It just seemed very counterintuitive to me that anything with wheat in the name would be safe so I didn't buy it and come here to check it out. Nice to know that I'm not crazy. Just the CC risk is mind boggling.

Hi Psipsina,
It is hard to know who to trust these days. :rolleyes: I would certainly check it out anyway. I also had a lady tell me that something did not have gluten in it at whole foods the other day.... I think it was sorghum. :) I've only been with this for a short time, so I"m learning too.

Here is what I found: I'll post here and the link is at the bottom if you want to check it out.

Q: Is barely and wheat grass safe to use in a gluten-free diet? What about sprouts?
A: According to information from USDA research chemists, specializing in wheat gluten and cereal proteins and a statement from the American Association of Cereal Chemists, gluten is found only in the seed kernel (endosperm) and not in the stem and grass leaves. If the grass is cut from a growing plant and does not include the seed kernel, it should be safe for persons with gluten intolerance to use. Wheat and barley grass are promoted as having superior nutrients, however the nutrient composition of the grasses is not superior to eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, which would be overall more healthy and less expensive than using this supplement. Bottom line is that I would stay away from it at this time and eat more fruits and vegetables! My personal and professional choice is not to use these products. Instead, rely on a variety of gluten-free grains, fruits and vegetables for a nutrient-rich diet. Feel that you must include a grass in your diet; I would recommend alfalfa grass instead of the wheat or barley grass.
As for sprouted wheat or other gluten-containing grains. These are sometimes used in breads that claim to be gluten-free. In talking with many of these bread companies, they claim their breads have no gluten, but none can guarantee that the seed kernels are completely removed before the sprouts are used or that their products have been tested for gluten content. This presents an unacceptable risk for persons with gluten intolerance. GIG does not recommend these products on a gluten-free diet.

http://www.healthsys...utes/030405.cfm

ML :)

#11 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

I ask Clan Thompson this question awhile ago. I don't have the relpy any longer but the message was clear...... STAY AWAY FROM WHEAT GRASS, now I didn't mention Barley grass but my guess is the answer would be the same.

Hey, Jenvan, its good to see you on here again.... How are you...I've missed chatting with you!!!

blessings

mamaw

#12 moldlady

moldlady

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

Well, ;)
It seems that some say it is okay and some say it is not. Whom do we believe on this?

#13 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:32 AM

The seed planted contains gluten. If it is allowed to continue to grow, a seed/kernel will form that contains gluten. The stalk never contains gluten.

If you are sure the wheatgrass was harvested prior to seeds forming at the top and that it was cut and no roots (the partially used up gluten in the seed alluded to in an earlier post) were pulled up, you will have gluten free wheatgrass.

While this is a celiac message board by title, there are people here who avoid gluten for other reasons. If you have a wheat allergy - which can occur with and without celiac - you have reason to avoid wheatgrass regardless of gluten content.

The disagreement seems to be between technically gluten free and the high risk of cross-contamination.

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Well, ;)
It seems that some say it is okay and some say it is not. Whom do we believe on this?

Your body.

Challenge it by taking it at least 3 times a day with no other suspect items for a week. If after a week you still feel fine then that particular brand of that item will be something you can add.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

Tim n Va has the good definition.. I for one would not take a chance.
I have asked other doctors who said stay away from it why take the risk.
I agree with Tim how do you prove there is no CC...

mamaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: