This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Barley Grass And Wheat Grass

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

I am really wondering about the juice from the grass only of barley and wheat. I was told by a doctor that they DO NOT contain gluten - that only the grain part of the plant contains gluten. If this is true, then it would open up a lot of vitamins and healthy "green drinks". If the doctor was wrong, then he's wrong, but I don't want to avoid something unneccessarily.

I'm wondering if it's like being allergic or intolerant to milk and avoiding beef because it comes from the same basic source. Would this make sense? (I don't think so.)

Does anyone KNOW for sure? I've tried looking it up and haven't had much luck or time.

Liz

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

you can't *know* for sure, because of the process. as the grain sprouts, it uses up the energy stores that it's been holding - that includes the protein. it appears that what it gets metabolized into (the final, fully mature blade) does not contain the same proteins. but, when dealing with things made from wheat grass, you have to ask: is the blade fully mature, having used up *all* of the protein in the original grain? the process of using the energy in the grain is gradual - how do you know when it's "done"? is the grass harvested so cleanly that *no* grain particles are harvested along with the blades?

Nantzie Collaborator

One of the things that happened to me that made me start noticing wheat as being a problem for me was when I almost passed out after drinking wheat grass. Which was scary because I was home alone with my 1yo and 2.5yo. Who know what they could have gotten into. :blink:

Nancy

darlindeb25 Collaborator

The only people who I have ever heard say they are safe are non-celiacs. I wont take the chance. My sister is a dietician and she had a discussion with someone about wheat and barley grass and she told him that until he was celiac and could prove it didnt do damage, then she wasn't trying it. She has celiacs too. So, I will never even try it. Personelly, I dont understand why anyone would want it anyways! Deb

jenvan Collaborator

I agree with Tiffany...even if the protein has been eliminated--what a risk for contamination! I use products with wheat or barely or oat grass. Which is a bummer, b/c I had some great vitamins w/them once :(

lonewolf Collaborator

Thanks for the responses. I just realized that my vitamins have barley grass juice in them - had run out for about 6 weeks and just got more. I guess I'll pass them on instead of taking a chance.

Felidae Enthusiast

Watch out for VEGA bars. They say gluten-free but they have wheat grass in them!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 years later...
babysteps Contributor

I tried a protein/whey powder with "greens" including barley grass

container SAYS "gluten free"

BUT I get a (mild, but quite noticeable) reaction

So I'm steering clear for now

psipsina Rookie

I was at wholefoods last night and was looking at green drinks. I complained to DH audibly that they all had wheat grass in them and this lady next to me said "Well wheat grass is good for you". I explained that I was allergic to gluten and she looked at me like I was crazy and told me that wheatgrass is gluten free. It just seemed very counterintuitive to me that anything with wheat in the name would be safe so I didn't buy it and come here to check it out. Nice to know that I'm not crazy. Just the CC risk is mind boggling.

moldlady Rookie
I was at wholefoods last night and was looking at green drinks. I complained to DH audibly that they all had wheat grass in them and this lady next to me said "Well wheat grass is good for you". I explained that I was allergic to gluten and she looked at me like I was crazy and told me that wheatgrass is gluten free. It just seemed very counterintuitive to me that anything with wheat in the name would be safe so I didn't buy it and come here to check it out. Nice to know that I'm not crazy. Just the CC risk is mind boggling.

Hi Psipsina,

It is hard to know who to trust these days. :rolleyes: I would certainly check it out anyway. I also had a lady tell me that something did not have gluten in it at whole foods the other day.... I think it was sorghum. :) I've only been with this for a short time, so I"m learning too.

Here is what I found: I'll post here and the link is at the bottom if you want to check it out.

mamaw Community Regular

I ask Clan Thompson this question awhile ago. I don't have the relpy any longer but the message was clear...... STAY AWAY FROM WHEAT GRASS, now I didn't mention Barley grass but my guess is the answer would be the same.

Hey, Jenvan, its good to see you on here again.... How are you...I've missed chatting with you!!!

blessings

mamaw

moldlady Rookie

Well, ;)

It seems that some say it is okay and some say it is not. Whom do we believe on this?

Tim-n-VA Contributor

The seed planted contains gluten. If it is allowed to continue to grow, a seed/kernel will form that contains gluten. The stalk never contains gluten.

If you are sure the wheatgrass was harvested prior to seeds forming at the top and that it was cut and no roots (the partially used up gluten in the seed alluded to in an earlier post) were pulled up, you will have gluten free wheatgrass.

While this is a celiac message board by title, there are people here who avoid gluten for other reasons. If you have a wheat allergy - which can occur with and without celiac - you have reason to avoid wheatgrass regardless of gluten content.

The disagreement seems to be between technically gluten free and the high risk of cross-contamination.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Well, ;)

It seems that some say it is okay and some say it is not. Whom do we believe on this?

Your body.

Challenge it by taking it at least 3 times a day with no other suspect items for a week. If after a week you still feel fine then that particular brand of that item will be something you can add.

mamaw Community Regular

Tim n Va has the good definition.. I for one would not take a chance.

I have asked other doctors who said stay away from it why take the risk.

I agree with Tim how do you prove there is no CC...

mamaw

psipsina Rookie
Tim n Va has the good definition.. I for one would not take a chance.

I have asked other doctors who said stay away from it why take the risk.

I agree with Tim how do you prove there is no CC...

mamaw

This is what I'm thinking too. There's no way to guarantee no cross contamination and my gluten reaction isn't worth the risk. I guess I'll be juicing at home instead of buying all the green juice products that are on the market with this in it.

moldlady Rookie

Well,

I did try it as I'm a glutton for punishment. I got really sick twice. I don't remember ever being that sick over something......... I thank the Lord for Activated charcoal. It was the only thing that got me cured from the severe sick stomach and pains almost like ulcer pains.

So, I'm back to my own home made green drinks that never gave me any problems at all.

ML :)

• 9 months later...
linuxprincess Rookie
One of the things that happened to me that made me start noticing wheat as being a problem for me was when I almost passed out after drinking wheat grass. Which was scary because I was home alone with my 1yo and 2.5yo. Who know what they could have gotten into. :blink:

Nancy

I know this post is fairly old, but I do want to make a comment to it.

Passing out after a wheat grass "shot" or consuming it as an additive in a drink is a common side affect of drinking it too fast. Many people get over this symptom and just get a funny kind of high off it after their second or third shot. Wheat grass would be gluten free if it contained no seeds or grain sprouts on the tops. You can monitor the growth of the shoots for proper harvesting to assure a gluten free ingredient.

I wouldn't doubt that people with allergies to wheat would want to avoid this all together, but Celiac's is not a wheat allergy so Celiac's should be safe with avoiding the seeds and grain sprouts.

Brendan123 Newbie

I was always under the assumption that wheat grass is natural therefore edible by Celiac standards. Where as Gluten is the process of combing processed flour and water. Now I should preface my knowledge with the fact that my research is limited as I was diagnosed only 4 months ago. Any feedback?

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Hi Brenda, Wheat grass is not on the safe lists. Here is a list of unsafe foods to get you started: https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html Gluten is a lot more than flour. Best of luck. Janet

ang1e0251 Contributor

An argument can be made for its safety as well as the chance of cross contamination.

Sounds like Russion Roulette to me.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Brendan,

Gluten is not an unnatural product. It is a protein naturally occuring in some grains. It is often manipulated / processed and ends up with different names as ingredients. But the basic stuff is all natural and the natural stuff (gluten protein) is a problem for celiacs. Some celiacs avoid processed foods because gluten can be hidden as ingredients with other names, and because of possible cross contamination. It is easier to avoid it by using more natural, minimally processed or raw food products, than trying to weed out every possible contaminated ingredient in processed foods. At least it is for me. Some people have other food sensitivities in addition to gluten also, and avoid processed foods because of them. Personally I am trying to steer clear of gluten, dairy, yeast, nitrates and tornadoes.

Welcome to the celiac world! :)

ThatlldoGyp Rookie

Two words : Cross Contamination

If we can not have oats because of cc, how in the world can we have wheat and barley products sans gluten?

Until I see actual certified gluten free wheat and barley grass, I would NEVER consider consuming it.

Stick with Nori if you want an excellent green, natural supplement!

• 3 years later...
Seosamh Newbie

Hi folks.

If anyone is still curious about this topic. I bought Amazing Grass Organic "Amazing Trio" Barley Grass, Wheat Grass & Alfalfa Whole Food Drink Powder, which is labelled Gluten Free & Raw.

And, right now (2 days after drinking it), after having put it in a juice, I feel very raw on the inside! :blink: I'm not 100% sure that this caused a reaction, but it seems the overwhelmingly likely candidate, as I am very strict and careful with what I eat. And, I haven't had a reaction like this in years.

I also have post-herpetic (post-shingles) neuralgia, and after two days feel like I was in the ring with Joe Frazier, with a lot of serious diarrhea.

One spoonful of this gave me a major reaction. I have no idea how they separate the seed kernel and the roots from the stalk, but something is amiss!

They note on their website:

"Q.Are Amazing Grass products Gluten Free?

Yes, Amazing Grass products are gluten free. Our cereal grasses are harvested prior to jointing, before the grain forms and any gluten is present. We test for gluten and our products are enjoyed by people worldwide with gluten free diets including celiac disease. Please note, our Energy Bars are manufactured in a plant that processes wheat, milk, eggs, soy, peanuts and tree nuts."

I don't know how they are testing for gluten, but I'd say avoid this is you don't want take the chance.

good luck!

Seosamh

kenlove Rising Star

The problem is the grass started from a seed which of course contains our problem. When they're talking about things in terms of ppm, parts per million, or gliaden or gluten protein molecules, how can you take a chance. Granted some are more sensitive than others but after y years of being celiac there is no chance I would ever try wheat or barley grass juice. I drink green juice many times a week but I make my own with kale and celery.

Hi folks.

If anyone is still curious about this topic. I bought Amazing Grass Organic "Amazing Trio" Barley Grass, Wheat Grass & Alfalfa Whole Food Drink Powder, which is labelled Gluten Free & Raw.

And, right now (2 days after drinking it), after having put it in a juice, I feel very raw on the inside! :blink: I'm not 100% sure that this caused a reaction, but it seems the overwhelmingly likely candidate, as I am very strict and careful with what I eat. And, I haven't had a reaction like this in years.

I also have post-herpetic (post-shingles) neuralgia, and after two days feel like I was in the ring with Joe Frazier, with a lot of serious diarrhea.

One spoonful of this gave me a major reaction. I have no idea how they separate the seed kernel and the roots from the stalk, but something is amiss!

They note on their website:

"Q.Are Amazing Grass products Gluten Free?

Yes, Amazing Grass products are gluten free. Our cereal grasses are harvested prior to jointing, before the grain forms and any gluten is present. We test for gluten and our products are enjoyed by people worldwide with gluten free diets including celiac disease. Please note, our Energy Bars are manufactured in a plant that processes wheat, milk, eggs, soy, peanuts and tree nuts."

I don't know how they are testing for gluten, but I'd say avoid this is you don't want take the chance.

good luck!

Seosamh

Archived