This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Delayed Reaction To Gluten?

lipreader

lipreader Apprentice

Is it possible to have a delayed reaction to gluten? My daughter had 2-3 pieces of a dish that had gluten in it on a Tuesday, and didn't complain of a stomach ache until Friday and Saturday. It was at its worst Saturday night. She's only been on the diet since August, and this was the first known exposure.

Thanks,

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

I am sorry to hear that your daughter is sick. It is a horrible feeling to watch your kids not feeling well.

For me, the reaction is within an hour to an hour and a half. However, for my Mom (not confirmed celiac disease just feels better gluten-free) her reaction can not appear for several days.

I think each of our bodies is so different it is hard to come up with a solid answer.

Hez

Merika Contributor

It could well be. How old is your dd? When we first realized my son was allergic to soy, the first symptoms we noticed were typically 3-4 days after soy ingestion. As he got older, and we became more savvy to subtle (and not so subtle) early symptoms, we found we could tell within 12-24 hours that he'd eaten some. Symtoms are still worst for him 3-4 days out though.

Merika

(ds is also gluten-free)

Claire Collaborator

I have Type II, Delayed Food Reactions - gluten among many. I have reactions anywhere from a couple of hours to several days. As the symptoms are not indentical for each reactive food I can tell (usually) what set it off - therefore know how long a time from exposure. Claire

lipreader Apprentice

Dd is turning 4 next week. We thought maybe it was a virus because she had red dots (raised) all over her body and that's what the GI NP said it probably was. But now she's complaining of stomach aches again. Her stomach looks bigger (both my husband and I noticed this independently) and she keeps complaining about her stomach hurting, and even got teary a few times. So maybe this is exposure? I have no idea and also of course don't know how she could have gotten exposed. This is so hard!

Lisa

Carriefaith Enthusiast

My reactons can be delayed. Also, she may have had mild symptoms for a few days before the reaction got bad.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Sue Barnett
    Newest Member
    Sue Barnett
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      You have three celiac disease specific antibody tests that are positive: Endomysial  Antibody IGA (aka, EMA), tTG-IGA, and tTG_IGG. Furthermore, your Immunoglobulin A at 55 is low, meaning you are IGA deficient. This one is not an antibody test for celaic disease per se but a measure of "total IGA" levels and if low (yours is low) it can suppress the individual antibody scores and even cause false negatives. So, yes, it definitely looks like you have celiac disease.   Do not yet begin a gluten free diet as your physician may refer you to a GI doc for an endoscopy/biopsy of the small bowel lining for confirmation of the antibody testing. This may help:   
    • Bayb
      Hi, I received my labs via email yesterday and have not heard back from my doctor yet. Can anyone tell me if these results indicate I have Celiac?      Endomysial Antibody IgAPositive  Ft-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA6  H0-3 (U/mL) - Negative 0 - 3 - Weak Positive 4 - 10 - Positive >10 - Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstrated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten-sensitive enteropathy. FImmunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum55  L87-352 (mg/dL) Ft-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG183  H0-5 (U/mL) - Negative 0 - 5 - Weak Positive 6 - 9 - Positive >9
    • Aussienae
      Mine is definitely triggered by inflammation and stress! I do also have arthritis in my spine, but the pain is more in my pelvic area. Im sure i have other food intolerances or other autoimmune isues but the more I focus on it and see doctor after doctor, it just gets worse.  Best thing is get of Gluten! (I also avoid lactose). Try to limit stress and anything that causes inflammation in your body.
    • ButWhatCanIEat
      Good morning,   I got an email about replies to this post. Some of my doctors had blamed a slipped disc for the pain I had and that contributes, but after meeting with a gastroenterologist AGAIN and trying some lifestyle modifications, I found out I have IBS and can't tolerate corn or excessive fructose to any degree. Cutting out corn AFTER having cut out all gluten containing products was a real pain but I feel much better now!
    • trents
      So, I contacted Scott Adams, the author of that article and also the creator/admin of this website, and pointed out to him the need to clarify the information in the paragraph in question. He has now updated the paragraph and it is clear that the DGP-IGA does serve the purpose of circumventing the false negatives that IGA deficiencies can generate in the tTG-IGA antibody test.