This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms Dormant During Teen Years?

txceliacmom

txceliacmom Newbie

Just saw something like this on another thread...

Has anyone had their gastro symptoms go away during their teen years and if so,

if and when did they come back.

2 years ago my daughter then 12 was having gastro issues. After seeing a lot of drs that knew

nothing and a negative panel/biopsy I put her on a gluten-free diet and the problems went away. For the 1st year of the diet, if she accidentally ate any gluten she would have bad stomach problems and headaches

for about 48 hours.

After the first year, she started occassionally cheating and didn't have any noticable problems.

So this Christmas (after several huge heated family discussions) we decided to let her eat whatever she wanted to see if she would have issues. So far she has not.

Celiac runs in my husbands family. His sister was diagnosed in the 70s. He was diagnosed by entrolabs

last march and my other daughter (only ADD type issues) had a positive test from entrolabs at christmas. Right now noone is gluten-free.

Also, has anyone had a negative result from entrolabs???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

It's not unusual at all for symptoms to go away during teen years. For many, they come back full force and worse. This can happen anywhere from your 20s to your 40s.

richard

txceliacmom Newbie

So, how confident are you in entrolab tests?

We have had such a hard finding a dr. with knowledge so had the tests...but most of my

family is very skeptical.

Thanks,

lovegrov Collaborator

I straddle the fence on Entrolab. I think the methods need independent confirmation, and it does seem like a lot of people are told they are at least gluten sensitive, although that might be at least partly because people who get tested already suspect a problem and many are right. I have heard of people who have come back negative, but you're not going to find them on a celiac discussion list because they were indeed negative.

richard

e&j0304 Enthusiast

i just thought I would jump in here. My husband and I spent about 2 years trying to figure out what was wrong with our daughter and after having every test come back negative including celiac blood tests (although the didn't do all the tests) we tried enterolab. Her results said that she did indeed have a gluten intolerance although we already suspected that because a trial of the diet proved that she does react to gluten. She has since been gluten-free and is gaining weight and thriving.

My son recently developed what we thought were similar symptoms. We were at a loss as to why he would eat and eat and eat, yet was not gaining weight and had horrible diarrhea to the point that is little bottom was bleeding. We ordered tests from enterolab for him as well and to our surprise, they stated that he does not have a gluten intolerance. I was shocked because I thought he did and because I had heard so many critics of enterolab say that they tell everyone they're gluten sensitive.

We did a trial of the gluten-free diet for my son and it has not yet helped his symptoms. We are actually going to do a stool test today to check for a parasite to see if it's causing his problems.

I just wanted to share that with you. I agree that the reason you don't hear about people getting neg. results from enterolab is because don't hang around these boards. The only reason I'm still here is because of dd!! :)

I wish you all the best,

Shannon

txceliacmom Newbie

Thank you both for your answers. It is good to know that not everyone comes

back positive. It does make sense that most negatives won't visitif you get a negative result

you're not going to spend much time here.

This whole thing has been so frustrating. It seems my entire family is in denial about this disease

and the issues it can cause. I just wish I could find a Dr. that was knowlegeable that they

might listen to and that actually know something about Celiac. It took my school nurse and me to diagnose my older daughter. My husband had so many of the same symptoms growing up but still denies that it's an issue for him. And with my younger daughter, her biggest issues are irritability and lack of focus which could just be her personality. :-) None of them believe that this can really cause them damage.

Okay, no more ranting. Thanks for validating what I already thought I knew. :-)

They are back on the diet starting Sunday. Monday is going to be a long day.

Best to you too (two).

Tiki

Archived