This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What's Your Favorite Cereal?

WGibs

WGibs Apprentice

So I just bought some Nu-World Foods Amaranth Cereal Snaps (cinnamon flavor). They are quite possibly the worst cereal I have ever tasted. They taste like dry, chalky dirt. This is my first true gluten-free flop. They are inedible.

So, to put a positive spin on this post, what's your favorite gluten-free cereal? I have tried and liked EnviroKidz Gorilla Munch, Health Valley Corn Crunch'ems, and Erewhon Brown Rice Crispies (make sure to get the gluten-free version!)

Any other winners out there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mookie03 Contributor

i dont know if this is considered cereal but i really like enjoy life granola w/ milk in the morning- i like all the flavors, especially the cinnamon crunch

Rachel--24 Collaborator
So I just bought some Nu-World Foods Amaranth Cereal Snaps (cinnamon flavor). They are quite possibly the worst cereal I have ever tasted. They taste like dry, chalky dirt. This is my first true gluten-free flop. They are inedible.

Sheeesh, I wonder about my tastebuds cuz I've never been picky and I pretty much like anything. I was eating the amaranth snaps....without the cinnamon even...and I liked them. :blink:

I figured the cinnamon ones would be great but I couldnt try them cuz I'm sensitive to cinnamon.

Yeah...they were definately dry and chalky but I still liked em.

Don't get me wrong....I'd still pick Cocoa Pebbles over the snaps any day.

frenchiemama Collaborator

I like the Nature's Path rice crispies.

WGibs Apprentice

Ha! Tastes truly are personal, I guess. I've never been a picky eater either, so I was surprised to react so strongly. I tried a few bites, thinking I just needed to get used to them, but no.

They smell like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, though.

Here I was wondering how these poor people were going to stay in business, but I guess I shouldn't worry!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Here I was wondering how these poor people were going to stay in business, but I guess I shouldn't worry!

:lol::lol:

Yeah...don't worry there's always gonna be people like me who dont care as long as its food! :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

Perky's Nutty Rice. As a bonus, it's good for making muffins too! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cornbread Explorer

My fave cereal is eggs and bacon. :lol:

elonwy Enthusiast

I can't do Amaranth in any form, it seems, I just really don't like the taste. I have just discovered Enjoy life granola and I am soo happy. I was very much a granola, heathly wheat bran(lol) type prior to diagnosis and its so nice to find a healthy gluten-free cereal that tastes good. And 7g of fiber per serving can't be beat. But I'm definitly not the cocoa pebbles type.

Elonwy

jenvan Collaborator

ha ha wgibs! i have to say i was in wild oats buying cereal and this clerk came up to me and said whatever you do, don't buy the amaranth cereals--they are nasty!!! i laughed--i had tried some of the amarant products before and not liked them so much... but glad rachel likes them!

my fav is also perky's nutty rice-yum! or erewhon's krispy rice with berries-yum :) good dried berries too--real ones!

hlm34 Apprentice

i too like the enjoylife cinnamon "granola" - but i cant believe how small the bag is!!! The box is tiny and then you open it up and take out the bag and the bag is only half the size of the box! Its almost the size of a sugar packet or something! I almost fell over when i saw that!! i used to be a big cereal eater and i could easily put away a half box of lucky charms in my day - that granola is good but come on - give us a little more bang for our buck. anyone else notice that or am i just crazy?

luvs2eat Collaborator

I LOVE cereal and was going to start hunting down these brands... but the reality is that I have a real problem with cereal and portion control. I can quite happily eat the whole box at one sitting!!! haha

So, I guess I'll stick with my yogurt and banana on work days and my bacon and eggs on the weekends!

skoki-mom Explorer

I eat Nature's Path Honey'd Corn Flakes. I didn't care for them at first (never been much a corn flake fan), but I found throwing a little brown sugar on them actually makes them quite good. I'm not as happy with the Crispy Rice, I find it pretty anemic to be honest. I'm not a huge cereal eater to start with, but my favourites used to be Rice Krispies and Raisin Bran.

key Contributor

I really like Nature's Path Corn flakes. THe one's I eat are fruit juice sweetened. I really like them, but you can only eat corn flakes so often, without getting sick of them. Before gluten-free, I loved regular cheerios :( It is funny, because I tried that gluten-free Enjoylife Granola and thought IT was quite possibly the worst food I have eaten! It was aweful as far as I was concerned, but guess they will survive too, because I see some of you really like it!

Monica

Guest nini

My fave is Nature's Path Mesa Sunrise... I LOVE IT... I eat bowls of it for dinner some nights... just pour some honey over it and some milk and yummy

my daughter loves Nature's Path Honey'd Corn Flakes and Envirokids Gorilla Munch

LqrMan Newbie

I split my time between Envirokidz Frosted Corn Flake cereal --tastes almost like Tony the Tiger flakes and New Morning Cocoa Crispy Rice cereal. For hot cereal I love cream of rice with some light brown sugar :D

Mango04 Enthusiast

I like Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes (actually all of the Arrowhead Mills cereals are pretty good I think). Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice is good too! I bought some Enjoy Life granola, took one bite...and thought it was the worst thing I ever ate :lol: I will definitely give it another try with a new perspective after reading these posts.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I like the Nature's Path Honey'd Corn Flakes. It's not something I love, but it doesn the trick when I want cereal.

hez Enthusiast

Has anyone seen/tried PeryO's? I saw an ad for the cereal in my Living Without magazine. I have looked in the stores here and can't find them. If I could find a close knock off of Cheerios I would be happy :P

Hez

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Puffins! I love Puffins!

The honey rice ones are my favorite (although they will never replace Cheerios or Shredded Wheat...)

The honey rice ones have less fiber than the regular ones, so I usually mix them half and half. I add raisins too!!

I just bought the Enjoy Life "granola" today too and I thought it was TERRIBLE. Nothing at all like the homemade granola I used to make...

Can you tell that I love cereal?

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Bob's Hot Cream of Rice (with berries and cinnamon)

On my sugar laden days, I eat Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Pebbles

4getgluten Rookie

I love Envirokidz Gorrilla Munch and Panda Puffs. It's sugary stuff for sure, but I that's what I want when I eat cereal.

GlutenFreeAl - be careful with Puffins. The Honey-Rice ones are gluten-free, but some Puffin flavors contain oats.

jaten Enthusiast

Bob's Creamy Hot Rice with a chopped, skin-on apple, raisins, and dash of cinnamon. YUMMY start to the morning!

I, too, love Honey-Rice Puffins, but they hurt my tummy a lot. Don't know why...obviously it's not the rice. For cold cereal EnviroKidz Koala Crisps with a sliced banana tastes good and my system tolerates this easily. I'm continuing to look for a more nutritious cold cereal that doesn't hurt.

jerseyangel Proficient
I, too, love Honey-Rice Puffins, but they hurt my tummy a lot. Don't know why...obviously it's not the rice.

I got the same reaction from this cereal. I think it's because it's made in the same facility as cereals with gluten. Some of the other cereals Barbara's makes have oats.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I like the EnviroKidz gluten free cereals. I only eat cereal plain though.

Archived