This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's Your Favorite Cereal?

WGibs

GFManiac Rookie

I LIKE the Amaranth cereal!!! Love the EnivorKids, etc too, but sooo many gluten-free cereals lack any nutrional value. I wish they would make fortified cereal!! Anyone run into any decent gluten-free fortified cereal? I've tried the EnjoyLife brand - it's not too bad....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elonwy Enthusiast

I'm not sure if I've come across the Honey Rice ones, but I have yet to find a Puffin Cereal that doesn't have oats. They all say wheat free, but have oats in them.

Elonwy

BeccaM Rookie

Should I give the Enjoy Life Granola another chance? I tried the berry flavor, and to me it tasted like cardboard-or metal, or even worse! I couldn't even stomach one bite..

I would love to find a granola that I can eat- any other recommendations? Is the cinnamon flavor much better?

I do love the Panda Puffs- though I find that they make me hypoglycemic. My favorite thing lately is Bob's Gluten Free Hot cereal with vanilla soymilk, walnuts and coconut! Then the next day I form the leftovers into patties and fry them in a non-stick skillet and drizzle with yogurt- they are fantastic!

Or i just eat brown rice and an egg for breakfast- boring!

thanks for everyone's suggestions- I'm going to look for some of those cereals.

-Becca

jerseyangel Proficient

I just tried Envirokidz Panda Puffs--the peanut butter ones--and I really like them.. I like to use cereal as a snack.

VydorScope Proficient
I'm not sure if I've come across the Honey Rice ones, but I have yet to find a Puffin Cereal that doesn't have oats. They all say wheat free, but have oats in them.

Elonwy

Elonwy:

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients: Wholegrain Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrated Cane Juice, Rice Bran, Honey, Expeller Pressed High Oleic Oil (Canola and/or Sunflower), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Natural Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols).

I like them. :) Gotta be carefull with that brandname though, unless its labeld gluten-free its not. They have a selection of "wheat free" stuff that is not gluten-free.

minibabe Contributor

I am eating Gorilla Munch right now :lol::lol::lol:

I love all the envirokids cereals, and the granola cereals and Puffins.

I am still waiting for the fuity pebbles to be okay by me. Everytime I call them they are not, I guess it is just the batch that I have around here. <_<

I LOVE CEREAL !!!!!

Amanda NY

junieb Rookie

My dd actually loves the amaranth snaps in cocoa and cinnnamon. She didn't like the plain ones, unfortunately - those are the ones with hardly any sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini
I am eating Gorilla Munch right now :lol::lol::lol:

I love all the envirokids cereals, and the granola cereals and Puffins.

I am still waiting for the fuity pebbles to be okay by me. Everytime I call them they are not, I guess it is just the batch that I have around here. <_<

I LOVE CEREAL !!!!!

Amanda NY

What do you mean your fruity pebbles aren't safe? I was under the impression that both Post Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles were safe.

minibabe Contributor

Every time I call, they say that they not gluten-free. So i dont touch them, but I have recieved several emails stating that these lines are going to be gluten-free soon.

But I was always under the impression that they were not gluten-free.

Amanda NY

Guest nini

Update on Post Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles

A Clan Thompson Mini-List was posted on some celiac forums this week. This Mini-List was a sample column we sent local celiac groups around the country to see if they'd like to carry the column in their local newsletters. The information in the Clan Thompson Mini-List was taken from the most recent unpublished research we had. That being said...

One of our researchers called Post on February 6 and was told that Post Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles were no longer gluten free which is why they appeared on the Mini-List that way. I called the manufacturer today and they acknowledged that we were given incorrect information during our earlier call. Kraft's policy is that consumers should read the label for the most up to date information about ingredients. However, the woman I talked to reviewed the ingredients of both cereals with me and stated that both cereals ARE GLUTEN FREE. The natural flavors in the Fruity Pebbles are derived from different citrus flavors. The manufacturers of the natural flavors used in Cocoa Pebbles won't reveal what they are, but they did tell Kraft they are not derived from gluten sources.

We hope this new information is helpful. (We like to eat Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles in our celiac household, too!)...Lani K. Thompson

and from Gastromd.com

Open Original Shared Link

Choose these foods/beverages

Breads/Cereals

Breads and rolls made from arrowroot, carob, corn, pea, potato, rice, sorghum, soybean, or tapioca starch or flour; pure corn tortillas, cornmeal, hominy, grits, popcorn; potatoes, potato chips; enriched rice, rice noodles, wild rice, rice cakes, rice wafers, puffed rice, Kellogg

munchkinette Collaborator

I love Peanut Butter Panda Puffs! (Envirokids)

I also like Mesa Sunrise.

Guest nini

Glutino has a cereal that is like Cheerios... it's better dry than with milk, and some of you might really like it... we didn't care for it here though.

francelajoie Explorer
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Puffins! I love Puffins!

The honey rice ones are my favorite (although they will never replace Cheerios or Shredded Wheat...)

The honey rice ones have less fiber than the regular ones, so I usually mix them half and half. I add raisins too!!

I just bought the Enjoy Life "granola" today too and I thought it was TERRIBLE. Nothing at all like the homemade granola I used to make...

Can you tell that I love cereal?

I'm a huge fan of the puffins myself. I'm a peanut butter maniac!!!! Anything that tastes like peanut butter...bring it on! :D

minibabe Contributor
Glutino has a cereal that is like Cheerios... it's better dry than with milk, and some of you might really like it... we didn't care for it here though.

I just bought a box yesterday. I am a little disappointed by what you said.

I was hoping that they would be good.

Well I will give them a shot.

Amanda NY

I'm a huge fan of the puffins myself. I'm a peanut butter maniac!!!! Anything that tastes like peanut butter...bring it on! :D

The peanut butter puffins are not gluten-free. The only ones that are, are the honey ones. I just found this out yesterday when I went to this health food store that spealizes in gluten-free food and the only puffins cereal that is gluten-free was the honey.

francelajoie Explorer

I guess I never worried about oats...my doctor told me I could eat them. <_<

Guest BERNESES

Envirokidz Peanut Butter Panda Puffs!!!!! Haven't bought them in awhile because I can't have just one bowl. Must eat more, more, more....... :ph34r:

Guest j.r. clark
Has anyone seen/tried PeryO's? I saw an ad for the cereal in my Living Without magazine. I have looked in the stores here and can't find them. If I could find a close knock off of Cheerios I would be happy :P

Hez

Perky' O s are available from gluten-free mall.com

They are my husbands favorite of all the cereals we have tried.

The cinnamin amaranth snaps got good reviews on the gluten free mall site so i got them for my husband and he actually had to throw them away because he said they were inedible.

We live in Fenwick Island DE (anyone familliar with the area?) and I order most of our gluten free products online.

Jessica

gabrielle Contributor

I am a cereal maniac! I love it..

I was not at all crazy about the Enjoy Life Granola. I got the cinnamon kind and it tasted like cardboard. But hey more power to those of you who enjoy it!

I do love the Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes (MMM), all of the Envirokids cereals, I just got Perky O's in apple cinnamon flavor and they aren't too bad, I actually like them better without milk. I still love the cocoa pebbles and I think someone said we can have GM Neopets cereal- I'm going to have to try that!!

Yummy!

sclarkey2003 Newbie

Before I went gluten-free my favorite cereal was honey bunches of oats, so recently I started putting sliced almonds and spiced pecans in nature's path corn flakes. With a little sugar it tastes AMAZING and as far as I can remember I like it as much as honey bunches of oats!

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I ordered some of the Perky Os the plain version and they taste alot like cherrios with some sugar and fruit they were great, they dont get real soggy in milk either I am just hopping wild oats will start carrying them, it seems like they will carry something you like a lot then the next time you go to get it its gone, its a tease!

zip2play Apprentice

If I feel like cereal, which is rare, I eat Cocoa Pebbles!

Monica

teankerbell Apprentice

Barbara's Corn Flakes with a handful of raisins. Or Envirokids Peanut butter flavored cereal. Kind of like Captain Crunch.

jackie4 Apprentice

-I am new at this and my daughter is a cereal person. She ws dx 4 weeks ago and I read that cocoa pepples were gluten free. Is this true or is there a chance of cross contamination? Sometimes they bother her and sometimes they don't. I was thinking that maybe it is the small amount of milk that bothers her. Any suggestions?

VydorScope Proficient
-I am new at this and my daughter is a cereal person. She ws dx 4 weeks ago and I read that cocoa pepples were gluten free. Is this true or is there a chance of cross contamination? Sometimes they bother her and sometimes they don't. I was thinking that maybe it is the small amount of milk that bothers her. Any suggestions?

YES its true, and there is ALWAYS a chance of CC. I just had some yesterday in fact. :D

• 2 years later...
DonnaD777-777 Newbie
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Puffins! I love Puffins!

The honey rice ones are my favorite (although they will never replace Cheerios or Shredded Wheat...)

The honey rice ones have less fiber than the regular ones, so I usually mix them half and half. I add raisins too!!

I just bought the Enjoy Life "granola" today too and I thought it was TERRIBLE. Nothing at all like the homemade granola I used to make...

Can you tell that I love cereal?

I love puffins, enjoy life granola gives me the same symptoms as if I ate gluten. It is the flaxseed..it tears my intestines up. I can eat flaxseed oil though, just not the seeds.

Archived