10 replies to this topic

#1 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:57 PM

Okay, I tried doing a search and didn't see anything where there was stuff about this. I recently have decided to stop eating chicken (I never ate red meat anyway) and was told that protien loss will be really bad. I can't have soy but I can eat eggs. What are other vegetarians eating to stay healthy? I don't want to become weak but I can't bring myself to eat meat anymore. So, thanks for any help!

Kristina

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:53 PM

Especially without soy, it can be tough. But other legumes have a fair amount of protein, and there are wise choices you can make about grains - like amaranth and quinoa - that have a decent amount of protien. Additionally, eggs will be very useful - particular plenty of egg whites. And if you can have dairy (and be ovo-lacto vegetarian), it will be yet a bit easier. Google the term "USDA nutrient laboratory" and you'll get their nutrient database where you can search for the fruits and vegetables that have the highest protein content as well. (Spinach is, percentage wise, a decent source of protein.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:06 PM

You mentioned you are not eating red meat or chicken, but what about fish? It is an excellent choice for protein and essential fats.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:23 PM

Kristina,

Can you eat nuts? I eat cashews, almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, seasame seeds, etc. Cashews are great alone or in a stir-fry or an Indian dish. Almond slivers are great in hot cereal (gluten-free) or with wildrice. Peanuts are good with almost anything! Sunflower seeds are good on salads or in trail mixes. Seasame seeds are delicious in baked dishes. Pinenuts are incredible on gluten-free pasta.

Beans are awesome if you can eat them. Hummus is an easy stand by and when you make your own you can add whatever flavor you want. Homemade gluten-free Black Bean burgers are good. There are lots of ways to prepare beans.

I've found that the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home cookbook is easy to adapt to gluten-free.

Best Wishes! I'm a healthy happy gluten-free vegetarian!

#5 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:35 PM

Thank you guys for your help! I am glad to not be the only one doing this. Okay!

#6 jen-schall

jen-schall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:29 PM

lots of beans and rice = complete protein! my husband is a vegan and actually manages to be really healthy, drop me an e-mail if you'd like to get in touch with him. he knows this stuff better than I do. he is not celiac disease (I am) but he knows about it. and I did have a friend in college who was celiac disease and vegan, so it's definitely possible!
I would also recommend seeing a nutritionist at least once. They tend to have really good ideas (of course) without telling you, now come on! everyone eats chicken!! what's the matter with you?
good luck!
xo Jen

when I look around, I think this,
this is good enough
and I try to laugh at whatever life brings
because when I look down,
I just miss all the good stuff
and when I look up,
I just trip over things

#7 willjohno@hotmail.com

willjohno@hotmail.com

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:16 AM

Help!!

I am gluten intolerant but I want to become a vegan. I am worried as I have read in many places that a dairy and meat free diet is unsuitable for a sufferer of coeliac disease. Is there anywhere I could find an example of a typical week in a gluten-free and vegan diet? Or any advise in general.

Will J.

#8 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:57 AM

I am not sure about vegan but http://www.clanthomp...fe_cel_veg.php3 http://www.vegsoc.or...luten.html#nutr they're vegetarian links a friend gave me whe I was asking about going veggie. If I can find vegan glutenfree products I buy them over anything else. So, there are some out there but I don't see them too often. I am sorry I can't offer anything else. But, I think you should go vegan if it's what you want. Why should your gluten allegry force you to eat meat and dairy? I do the veggie thing (though from time to time I eat shrimp and that's the only animal) and don't have much dairy at all. So, good luck to you. If you find anything useful please share, I'd be interestd!

Kristina

#9 JUDI42MIL

JUDI42MIL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:48 AM

Im vegan and now gluten free. I worry about not getting enough protein. but i do eat a lot of hummus( I always keep fresh cooked chic peas in frig- so i can make my own fast), and i smear peanut butter on just about anything, and I eat tons of veggies, and soy cheese.
I must say it is a pain. I cant have nuts either- cause of diverticulitis- so i can do creamy peanut butter.
I have found the biggest problem to be with me, is getting too hungry.. No more of that open the cabinet door and pig out on whatever I see.

#10 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:12 AM

Jen-schall hit the nail on the head! Rice + beans = complete protein amino acids. This can be enough to sustain you almost exclusively. Also, quinoa will complete the protein chain for you all by itself although it is more costly than good old rice and beans. If you aren't sensitive to it, soy will also provide you with protein. But as with everything else, variety is key! Good luck!

#11 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:24 AM

Organic Food Bar has a bar that is vegan and they say gluten-free right on the apckage, I think they all are vegetarian but the vegan flavor might be safest
Molly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: