67 replies to this topic

#61 celiachap

celiachap

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:51 AM

Caeli, We're not always this way! .... Ok.... yes we are when it comes to this topic. Don't hold it against us. This topic releases a lot of emotions and opinions. Whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join us so don't let the progression of the topic keep you away.

My opinions about religion would be the same whether there were people with celiac disease having a problem with communion, or not. I recognized it for what it was long before I had heard of celiac disease. Taking communion is not at the forefront of my disagreements with this religion, as it is a voluntary choice that christians must decide for themselves. The response, or lack of, by the church is just another indication of their lack of regard for the human condition.
Diagnosed with Celiac March, 2005: Positive endoscopy, blood tests and biopsy. Gluten free since March 2005.

Retested Jan. 2006: Negative blood tests: "Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected."

Results for 2006 endoscope/biopsy pending.

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
-Thomas Jefferson

Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Robert Green Ingersoll

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 chad from fla

chad from fla

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

Aren't there any moderators on this board? This discussion has been off topic for quite some time and I am shocked at the level of disrespect that some people have been resorting to. I'm agnostic but I would never insult someone's religion. (It's called manners!?!?!) And likewise, I would never expect anyone to lecture me on what is happening to me in the afterlife in a secular setting. Some of you need a time out!

Caeli, I apologize that you had to see this. Hopefully someone in charge will put an end to this ugliness soon.

#63 celiachap

celiachap

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:21 AM

Aren't there any moderators on this board? This discussion has been off topic for quite some time and I am shocked at the level of disrespect that some people have been resorting to. I'm agnostic but I would never insult someone's religion. (It's called manners!?!?!) And likewise, I would never expect anyone to lecture me on what is happening to me in the afterlife in a secular setting. Some of you need a time out!
Caeli, I apologize that you had to see this. Hopefully someone in charge will put an end to this ugliness soon.

What are you "apologizing" for?

The man only asked for opinions, and even threw out a few ideas for discussion. If he expected people to only write replies that could in no way be taken as offensive by anybody, including people that are ultra-sensitive to dissenting voices regarding the topic, then he wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. Everybody on this board, regardless of their religious affiliation, or lack of, knows that the disease will not be "cured" by prayer, fasting, self-flagellation, guilt, celibacy, or church attendance. The only way to live healthy with it is to not consume gluten. The title of this section is "Coping with", and that is what the people are doing by participating in discussions. It's just a distraction, and may shed some light on aspects of life with Celiac Disease that ordinarily get overlooked.
Diagnosed with Celiac March, 2005: Positive endoscopy, blood tests and biopsy. Gluten free since March 2005.

Retested Jan. 2006: Negative blood tests: "Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected."

Results for 2006 endoscope/biopsy pending.

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
-Thomas Jefferson

Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Robert Green Ingersoll

#64 chad from fla

chad from fla

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

What are you "apologizing" for?

The man only asked for opinions, and even threw out a few ideas for discussion. If he expected people to only write replies that could in no way be taken as offensive by anybody, including people that are ultra-sensitive to dissenting voices regarding the topic, then he wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. Everybody on this board, regardless of their religious affiliation, or lack of, knows that the disease will not be "cured" by prayer, fasting, self-flaggelation, guilt, celibacy, or church attendence. The only way to live healthy with it is to not consume gluten.

He asked for opinions about what to do as a Catholic. Not whether or not he should be a Catholic. Nor did he ask what non-Catholics think of his religion. If you don't agree with his beliefs. Fine. But there's no need to be insulting. I don't see how that helps anyone "cope" with anything.

And where did ANYONE on this board ever suggest that we cure ourselves through prayer, fasting, self-flagellation, guilt celibacy or church attendance?

Moderators?????

#65 Caeli

Caeli

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

Well here I am (caeli), the initiator of this friendly discussion!

There is nothing new in what I have read - I've heard it all before and expect I will for at least the rest of my life.

I thank those whow have shared their experience, advice and best wishes.

I thank those who have shared their frustrations and anger with the Church. Believe it or not, I too have some anger when it comes to some of the bungling of the institutional Church. But I attribute the bungling to the human side not to God. Hope reigns eternal!

Anyhow, once again, thanks for the laughs and reminding me that nothing ever changes! All of us have our hurts which we need to vent them occasionally. The challenge is to listen with a third ear to hear what we are really saying. Unfortunately, like being a coeliac, there are not always simple answers to be found. :huh: I've always found a good sense of humour important in my job! Keep smiling :D
Kind regards to all!

#66 jackbarny

jackbarny

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:01 AM

I am a devout Catholic and I know that I can receive low gluten wheaten hosts. My question are:
1. Can a Coeliac tolerate low gluten hosts? I beleive the allowable gluten ratio is 200 (I think this refers to 200 parts per million).
2. If you can tolerate a low gluten host, why can't a person receive a very small portion of a normal wheaten host? In other words, only ingest a very small portion of the host, perhaps half a fingernal or less?

Hi, I'm catholic too and my church offers me gluten-free free wafers for communion and they are made from corn.
I'm the only one who has celiac disease in our parish so I have to go tell them I'm there so I can receive the host.
Som catholic churches in the area won't allow gluten-free free wafers. Why I don't understand the reasoning. Jack

#67 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:18 PM

Please avoid religious debates/discussions on this board--it is only to be used to discuss celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. There are many other boards on the Internet devoted to such topics.

Thank you!
Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#68 domineske

domineske

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:52 AM

Regarding communion for Catholics...

It's my understanding that there is no approved gluten-free wafer that can be used by Catholics, only the low gluten-wafer made by the Benedictine nuns. Although we don't understand this "rule", as Catholics we accept it. We usually just receive the wine, although not from the Priest's chalice since he adds a piece of the host.

Our priest (who is a very special man) spent time with my daughter teaching her the "spiritual communion", designed for situations when we desire but CANNOT receive communion. It's a simple prayer and we believe it is just as valid as any other form of communion.

"A spiritual communion is made when we fervently desire to receive Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and then lovingly embrace Him as if we had actually done so. This can be done at Mass when for some reason we are not able to receive the Sacrament or at any time during the day."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: