Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten-fied Dreams?

7 posts in this topic

Hey, so I'm new here. And I was thinking about a dream I had the other night.

I dreamt that I was sent to a home for troubled teens, because I wouldn't eat gluten products. And for some reason, I was suddenly considered a nuscense (sp) lol. it was quite strange! And they kept trying to get me to eat spaggeti.

I was wondering if anyone else has had dreams about being not excepted for it and how you dealt with these types of dreams.

Jilly Bean

Ads by Google:

I have had dreams about EATING gluten. For example, the other night I had a dream I was at a party with all of my friends from high school and there was chicken with breading there. I looked at it and thought, I can't have that, there is gluten on it. Then I found myself eating it and eating it until I stopped myself and said, I just had 4 pieces of chicken with breading all over it! And I woke up feeling so scared until I realized it was a dream.

Its funny--I've never had a dream about being Celiac, but ever since I have been gluten-free, I have more vivid dreams and I remember them more. I used to almost never remember dreaming--now I dream most every night and there have been some real crazy ones!

I dreamt that I was sent to a home for troubled teens, because I wouldn't eat gluten products. And for some reason, I was suddenly considered a nuscense (sp) lol. it was quite strange! And they kept trying to get me to eat spaggeti.

I was wondering if anyone else has had dreams about being not excepted for it and how you dealt with these types of dreams.

Jilly Bean

Aw, thats terrible! When i first went gluten free, i had dreams all the time about eating gluten- usually id wake up just before eating something. I also had very powerful gluten-related dreams when i actually did ingest gluten in some way. But i have never had a dream about not being accepted for it- i guess because everyone in my life has been so supportive of me through the process (its been 6 months). The best i can say is that those dreams will probably subside as u get used to the diet. I know i always dream about whatever is on my mind at the time- so it made sense that when i was first diagnosed, gluten was all i could think about! Now i hardly ever dream about it. Good luck!

I've been diagnosed for 3 years and will still have nightmares about eating grilled cheese! I'll somehow convince myself I don't have celiac disease and then eat a sandwich and then realize what I've done and wake up in a cold sweat :blink:

I used to dream about eating Papa John Pizza -- I would actually be mean to my friends and not share any of it with them - LOL! -- must be some sort of psychological defense backlash from my subconcious -- heehee

I do have much more vivid dreams now than I used to (or maybe I am able to remember them better now)???

Jilly Bean

The subconsious is so different than the waking mind when it comes to processing stuff. I used to have dreams about eating something I'm not supposed to have. I'll eat a piece of wheat based something in my dreams and then remember I have celiac and spit the food out and hope I didn't get enough in my system to make me sick. Then I'd wake up in practically a cold sweat. But since coming here to the forum and talking about celiac and coming more to terms with the disease the dreams are much farther apart and less intense. Most of the time. But it's just your subconsious dealing with your lifestyle/eating style change and integrating your new gluten-free life into all parts of your psyche. You're probably afraid of coming forward with not being to eat "normally" and being ostracized for it. You'll learn to deal with having celiac and eventually be quite proud of yourself for standing up for what you know you have to do to maintain optimum health.

Annette