This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Always Hot

MACE

MACE Rookie

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE FEELS HOT OR FLUSHED AFTER EATING GLUTEN. I USE TO STAY HOT ALL THE TIME. IT HAS BEEN BETTER LATELY, THAT IS UNTIL TONIGHT. I BROKE DOWN AND EAT SOME PASTA FOR DINNER AND RIGHT AWAY I FELT SO HOT AND FLUSHED AGAIN. ALSO DID NOT FINISH EATING THE PASTA, THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO THROW IT UP BEFORE I FINISHED. I USE TO EAT PASTA ABOUT EVERYDAY, WAS SICK ON STOMACH ALOT OF THE TIME AND HAD NOT CONNECTED IT TO THE PASTA. SO MUCH TO LEARN ABOUT THIS GLUTEN THING. ALSO WAS WONDERING I HAVE LOW BLOOD PRESSURE AND MY BODY TEMP. IS ALWAYS BELOW THE NORMAL MARK ( 96.2 ) NORMAL FOR ME. DO ANY OTHERS HERE HAVE THE SAME THING WITH THEIR PRESSURE AND TEMP.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

One of my symptoms was feeling hot, fast, hard heart beat. It was kind of spooky.

jerseyangel Proficient

I definately remember that while I was still eating gluten, I would get hot and nauseous after eating quite often. I used to get night sweats in my 30's. It got so that the heat was mostly in my face. My face felt hot to the touch. My blood pressure tends to run on the high side. The hot face still happens once in a while--much less now, though.

MACE Rookie
I definately remember that while I was still eating gluten, I would get hot and nauseous after eating quite often. I used to get night sweats in my 30's. It got so that the heat was mostly in my face. My face felt hot to the touch. My blood pressure tends to run on the high side. The hot face still happens once in a while--much less now, though.

YOUR SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT THE NIGHT SWEATS JUST MADE ME THINK, I AM NOT HAVING THEM LIKE I USE TO. IT WAS SO AWFUL WAKING UP SO HOT ALL DURING THE NIGHT. IT WAS MY ENTIRE UPPER BODY THAT WOULD FEEL SO HOT AFTER EATING GLUTEN.

Ann1231 Enthusiast

I tend to get flushed and very warm for hours. I also sweat a great deal, even if it's cold out, when I have gluten. Without it, I have cold hands, no sweating, and no redness to the face.

Ann

CarlaB Enthusiast

Broda Barnes MD did a lot of throid research and determined that basal body temps. are a more accurate indication of low thyroid than the current blood tests. Your temp. should be over 97.5 first thing in the morning (Dr. Barnes said 97.8, but after 7 years of teaching natural family planning, that seems high). You can pull up a lot of information on this if you do a search for Broda Barnes. I started taking thyroid from the health food store three years ago, my temps. are now normal and I have much more energy than I used to.

I also have horrible hot flashes and night sweats when I'm consuming gluten. In fact, it was a result of these that I bought a book called something like, "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Premenopause." In this book she brings up food allergies, and as a result I discovered my gluten problem. I would have continued on sick for years had I not read this book.

CeliaCruz Rookie

I didn't even realize that the "hot flashes" and rapid heartbeat were a symptom of Celiac until I eliminated gluten from my diet and noticed that they went away shortly thereafter.

I used to have sweating issues to beat the band. You know how Whitney Houston sweats whenever she performs? That's me. Only I couldn't even blame stage lights, crack cocaine or the demands of performing for a live audience. I'd sweat from the tiniest exertion -- walking the dogs, shopping for groceries, you name it. One of my doctors wanted to give me a prescription strength anti-perspirant but I argued that the "sweat" wasn't really the problem. I was sweating because I was always hot.

These days, it's really interesting because I actually have a normal body temperature and now that it's winter, I actually have to turn the radiators on in my apartment and wear sweaters and stuff. Plus I don't have to change my sheets everyday.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 years later...
ycomp Newbie

Hi, was this no matter what you ate? or only if food contained gluten?

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi, was this no matter what you ate? or only if food contained gluten?

Hi--since it was before I was on the gluten-free diet, I don't know exactly what triggered it since at that time I didn't connect it with what I ate. I suspect gluten was a cause at least, since going gluten-free helped immensely. 7 years later, I never get the hot face/skin anymore. I still run a bit on the warm side, and don't tolerate hot weather well, but it is much improved.

ycomp Newbie

Hi--since it was before I was on the gluten-free diet, I don't know exactly what triggered it since at that time I didn't connect it with what I ate. I suspect gluten was a cause at least, since going gluten-free helped immensely. 7 years later, I never get the hot face/skin anymore. I still run a bit on the warm side, and don't tolerate hot weather well, but it is much improved.

perhaps another way to phrase it is, did this hot feeling stop after you immediately eliminated gluten.. i.e. within a day or two... or did it take a number of weeks or longer ?

jerseyangel Proficient

It's been a while (I made that post in 2006) but I would say it was a matter of weeks before I saw improvement and many months before it completely stopped.

It's not uncommon for the intestinal issues to clear before the neurological ones.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Larry Mac, nice to see you again:). Mace started this thread in 2006 and hasn't posted in a long while.

larry mac Enthusiast

Aha, it was in new content with new posts, so I didn't notice the OP was old. Darn! Thank you Patti.

best regards, lm

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi

Gluten makes me horribly hot especially my face sweating. This can last ages especially if under stress or exercising.

Thought it was just hot flushes but happens like clockwork if I get cc'd then keeps on the rest of the day. In my own mind, it is caused by a rise in cortisol (stress to the body caused by gluten or other problem food) . Like a stressful situation can cause a hot flush. Just my impression - could be a load of rubbish :ph34r: .

Anyway, woohoo - I'm not the only one.

One of the ways I know I've eaten a problem is rapid heartbeat and big hot flush.

GFinDC Veteran

There have been several threads on night sweats, one is linked below. I sued to have night sweats and they didn't sopt right after going gluten-free. It took quite a while in fact. Many months for them to go away.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/7242-night-sweats/page__view__findpost__p__148443__hl__%2Bnight+%2Bsweat

Archived