This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Cd

valeried

valeried Newbie

Hi, My name is Valerie, My daughter Alissa is 11yrs. old and just diaignosed with celiac disease. She also is diabetic., Since Dec. 2002. I have done some research and am using Bette Hagman cookbooks, but there are still some reg store items that can be used, at least I think so. This reading and understanding lables is so confusing.

I am trying to keep her gluten free and still be able to count carbs so she can still have some of the things she likes...She has been amazing concerding everthing she has been through in the last 2 years. So I guess what I'm asking is any information on anything that would help...Sure would make grocery shopping alot eaiser...and make it easier on her too. Valerie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Have her log on to the boards. There is a section just for teens that she might really enjoy! Yes, reading labels is difficult, but there are some premade foods that are safe. I try to stay around the perimeter of the store for shopping: meats, fruits, and vegetables. I get gluten-free pasta and flours from the Gluten Free Mall online. I am glad she is taking it well, as she can only get healthier from here!

kejohe Apprentice

If you check out some of the low carb web sites they have some good recipes. I'll admit they are geared more for the Atkins type dieter, but for the most part, they are easy to convert to gluten-free, if necessary, and they all have a carb analysis already there. At the very least it may give you some additional ideas.

Here is a low carb/ Gluten free pasta recipe I pulled off of lowcarbluxury.com

I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a shot.

Low Carb Noodles

Ingredients:

2 extra large eggs

1/2 cup soy flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 tablespoons additional soy flour

3 quarts water

1 1/2 tsp salt

Beat eggs thoroughly with a fork or wire whisk. Add soy flour and salt and mix well. Place a large sheet of waxed paper on a flat surface, or use a wooden board if you have one. Sift a tiny amount of the extra soy flour all over the waxed paper or board. Place the dough on the waxed paper, making sure that all surfaces, top and bottom, get a light coating of the soy flour. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until very thin. Try to roll the dough into a rectangular shape. Work fast!

Beginning with the narrow end, gently fold over about 2 inches of dough and continue turning like a jelly roll until the roll is about 3 inches thick. Dough should be dry enough so layers do not stick together, but should not have a heavy coating of extra soy flour. With a very sharp knife, cut rolled dough in even slices - 1/4 inch wide for fettuccine and as desired for other pasta. Unroll strips carefully so as not to break them, and arrange on waxed paper, keeping flat. The noodles may be left to dry for 1-2 hours, or cooked immediately.

To cook, bring water to a rolling boil. Add salt and put in the pasta, pushing it down gently until all is submerged in the water. (A little oil added will keep the pasta from sticking.) Cook to the al dente stage, testing frequently to make sure the pasta does not overcook. (Al dente means tender but still firm to bite.) Drain pasta thoroughly in a colander and use it with your favorite pasta recipe.

Makes 4 servings. 6 carbs per serving

Archived