Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

New Cd

3 posts in this topic

Hi, My name is Valerie, My daughter Alissa is 11yrs. old and just diaignosed with celiac disease. She also is diabetic., Since Dec. 2002. I have done some research and am using Bette Hagman cookbooks, but there are still some reg store items that can be used, at least I think so. This reading and understanding lables is so confusing.

I am trying to keep her gluten free and still be able to count carbs so she can still have some of the things she likes...She has been amazing concerding everthing she has been through in the last 2 years. So I guess what I'm asking is any information on anything that would help...Sure would make grocery shopping alot eaiser...and make it easier on her too. Valerie

Ads by Google:

Have her log on to the boards. There is a section just for teens that she might really enjoy! Yes, reading labels is difficult, but there are some premade foods that are safe. I try to stay around the perimeter of the store for shopping: meats, fruits, and vegetables. I get gluten-free pasta and flours from the Gluten Free Mall online. I am glad she is taking it well, as she can only get healthier from here!

If you check out some of the low carb web sites they have some good recipes. I'll admit they are geared more for the Atkins type dieter, but for the most part, they are easy to convert to gluten-free, if necessary, and they all have a carb analysis already there. At the very least it may give you some additional ideas.

Here is a low carb/ Gluten free pasta recipe I pulled off of

I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a shot.

Low Carb Noodles

2 extra large eggs

1/2 cup soy flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 tablespoons additional soy flour

3 quarts water

1 1/2 tsp salt

Beat eggs thoroughly with a fork or wire whisk. Add soy flour and salt and mix well. Place a large sheet of waxed paper on a flat surface, or use a wooden board if you have one. Sift a tiny amount of the extra soy flour all over the waxed paper or board. Place the dough on the waxed paper, making sure that all surfaces, top and bottom, get a light coating of the soy flour. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until very thin. Try to roll the dough into a rectangular shape. Work fast!

Beginning with the narrow end, gently fold over about 2 inches of dough and continue turning like a jelly roll until the roll is about 3 inches thick. Dough should be dry enough so layers do not stick together, but should not have a heavy coating of extra soy flour. With a very sharp knife, cut rolled dough in even slices - 1/4 inch wide for fettuccine and as desired for other pasta. Unroll strips carefully so as not to break them, and arrange on waxed paper, keeping flat. The noodles may be left to dry for 1-2 hours, or cooked immediately.

To cook, bring water to a rolling boil. Add salt and put in the pasta, pushing it down gently until all is submerged in the water. (A little oil added will keep the pasta from sticking.) Cook to the al dente stage, testing frequently to make sure the pasta does not overcook. (Al dente means tender but still firm to bite.) Drain pasta thoroughly in a colander and use it with your favorite pasta recipe.

Makes 4 servings. 6 carbs per serving

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• We can't see the video carle.  The site is banned from celiac com for spamming. Not having seen it, I'd guess they are selling something?
    • Sorry Doit, Ok, I think I see what you are talking about.  The serum IgA test?  The serum IgA is to verify if your body does make IgA antibodies.  Not all of us make that particular antibody type.  you do make IgA antibodies though, and your reading is fairly high.  the way I understand it, the serum IgA is not specific to celiac disease.  It does indicate a level of antibody activity though.  So perhaps you are fighting an infection or something?  Or it is celiac and for some reason your blood levels of antibodies are not high enough to detect right now. The below info on serum IgA is from Quest Labs. ******************************************************************** Test Highlight IgA, Serum    Clinical Use Diagnose IgA deficiencies Determine etiology of recurrent infections Diagnose infection Diagnose inflammation Diagnose IgA monoclonal gammopathy Clinical Background IgA is the first line of defense for the majority of infections at mucosal surfaces and consists of 2 subclasses. IgA1 is the dominant subclass, accounting for 80% to 90% of total serum IgA and greater than half of the IgA in secretions such as milk, saliva, and tears. IgA2, on the other hand, is more concentrated in secretions than in blood. IgA2 is more resistant to proteolytic cleavage and may be more functionally active than IgA1. IgA deficiency is the most prevalent isotype deficiency, occurring in 1/400 to 1/700 individuals. Many patients with IgA deficiency are asymptomatic, while others may develop allergic disease, repeated sinopulmonary or gastroenterologic infections, and/or autoimmune disease. Individuals with complete absence of IgA (<5 mg/dL) may develop autoantibodies to IgA after blood or intravenous immunoglobulin infusions and may experience anaphylaxis on repeat exposure. Elevated serum IgA levels are associated with infection, inflammation, or IgA monoclonal gammopathy. Method In this nephelometric method, anti-human IgA binds to IgA in the patient sample, forming an insoluble complex. The amount of light scattered by this insoluble complex is proportional to the concentration of IgA present in the sample.   ********************************************************************
    • Thanks for yoUr response GFinDC. For what it's worth,  I've eaten gluten daily for at a minimum of 10 weeks now. I have to taste at work, and initiallyni noticed no ill effect until after I'd been consuming it regularly over a period of time. Shortly before I initially went gluten free, I was suffering from unexplainable stomach cramping and issues that did go away when I quit gluten. It didn't come back until just the past couple of weeks though and now I'm remembering how painful, uncomfortable, and smelly the whole situation was 😂    Can you explain what the reflex test (the one I tested above range in) is? 
    • Hi, just looking for some advice as I'm still learning. I'm looking to go to Kenya next week and I'm quite stressed about the journey, I'm not too bothered about while I'm there as I should mostly be able to eat fresh fruit, vegetables and meat. What's the deal with chips (fries) in fast food places and restaurants, should they always be avoided? And how about rice? I've seen packets before that say may contain gluten. Thanks
    • Update! Had my appointment today and the doctor said she was going to order a full celiac panel without me even having to request it! I was overall impressed with how well my doctor handled this and listened to my concerns rather than writing them off like some people's doctors have.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member