This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Small Town Restaurants

Silver-naki

Silver-naki Rookie

Hi Lisa!

Thanks for the Post here... gee, it sounds like you & I have things in common, with the small Town "thing" and all. Yep, I sure know what you're saying here, only we don't even have a GREEK Restaurant. Some of the bigger Towns that are in the surrounding area might... so I will have to check into that one, just to see.

I also have NOT tried ordering a Hamburger "pattie" anywhere, but will do this sometime as an idea. I eat alot of fish & Chicken, and of course once in awhile, the fresh red meat, like steaks & such. We have our own Elk meat in the Freezer from Hunting Season, and I am very safe with that, because Wild Game, has no "additives" or "preservatives" whatsoever to it! Yippie!!! :D Of course alot of folks are not fortunate enough to have Wild Game meat, {unless they hunt...} and/OR they don't like it, etc; etc; We catch our own fish & native Trout here too, so always got plenty of that in the Freezer as well.

I grew up on Buffalo meat, and sometimes, here in the WEST, a person can actually order a "Buffalo Burger" in one of the local Restaurants, depending on where they are at.... I was even lucky enough to find some 100% ground Buffalo burger in the Grocery Store!! I went nuts over that, because being Native American, this has always been part of my staple diet, but it's so hard to get nowadays. It was more plentiful when I was younger~ The Restaurants that DO have the Buffalo Burgers are quite a drive from our Town, the closest I know of is 70-miles away!!! When I go there again, I will order the Buffalo burger, without the bun!

I know how you feel about pretty much having to stick with ordering SALADS. Yep. But of course, my Dining Out experiences haven't advanced very much yet, but I have the rest of my Life to get thru, so I'm sure they will! Thankfully, I like to cook, so I spend more time at home with my meals & such. When Vacation time rolls around in the Summer, it will be a different story for me!!! :angry:

Also, you mentioned that not too many folks in your area know about Celiac, or have not heard of it. Trust me... I am in the same boat around here with this. Nobody yet, that I have even ran into or talked with, has ever heard of it, except for my Doctor. I find that the general Public around here looks at me very, very *weird* to say the least----- but. I won't give up hope, because there just might be more people than I think out here, in whom have Celiac, and I just don't know it!

Thanks for your Post Lisa.... all the input is very encouraging~ :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I'm glad the humor is coming through :) If I took life seriously I'd probably be dead by now.

You were talking about Buffallo burgers in the last post. Yummmmm. I lived in Montana for 8 months ( bad failed marriage, long story) and had some of the best Buffalo burgers ever there. That and huckleberries. OMG. I'm drooling as I type.

A word on burgers. SOMETIMES places can put fillers in burgers, usually bread crumbs, so you do have to ask and make sure, though with the buffalo you're ~probably~ ok but as you've probably been told a thousand times by now you ALWAYS have to ask. You also have to be careful if they grill the buns next to the burgers on the grill, you can get cross contamination that way. There is a burger place here in CA, and AZ and NV too I think, called IN-N-OUT that will make you a Gluten free burger and they always cook it on a new clean grill. They also wrap it in big lettuce leaves, which sounds kind of wierd until you try it and then becomes addictive. I ate them that way before I knew to be gluten free. Be careful of BBQ sauces and Teriyaki too.

On the hot dogs. Cornstarch is fine, as long as you don't have a problem with corn too :P

I don't know off the top of my head which Oscar Meyer Weiners are ok, I don't have any in the house at the moment. I have found that Google is a great resource sometimes. I go there and type in something like "hunts gluten free" and often get great information. You have to be sure you're getting info for the right country though. www.google.com

Also, grab the Delphi list from celiac3270 if you don't already have it. That thread is here:

Open Original Shared Link

It's a huge word doc with tons of gluten-free ( and not gluten-free) products. I use the find function in word to search it, scrolling through that thing is rediculous.

Also I highly recommend Danna Korn's book Wheat Free, Worry Free. It has awesome tips on how to navigate this new world we live in.

I don't want you to think I want you to stop asking questions here, I'm just trying to share some tools I use every day in this gastric battle.

I'm kind of lucky, cause I'm really thick skinned and rather vocal. Once I got over my own intitial shock it became pretty easy to pipe up about stuff. I'm not going to make the world stop and be gluten-free because of me, but I'm going to do my damndest to not get sick, and if I have to step on a few toes or send back a dish 3 times, so be it.

HTH

Elonwy

num1habsfan Rising Star
I also have NOT tried ordering a Hamburger "pattie" anywhere, but will do this sometime as an idea. I eat alot of fish & Chicken, and of course once in awhile, the fresh red meat, like steaks & such.

I grew up on Buffalo meat, and sometimes, here in the WEST, a person can actually order a "Buffalo Burger" in one of the local Restaurants, depending on where they are at.... I was even lucky enough to find some 100% ground Buffalo burger in the Grocery Store!! I went nuts over that, because being Native American, this has always been part of my staple diet, but it's so hard to get nowadays.

I know how you feel about pretty much having to stick with ordering SALADS.

Also, you mentioned that not too many folks in your area know about Celiac, or have not heard of it. Trust me... I am in the same boat around here with this. Nobody yet, that I have even ran into or talked with, has ever heard of it, except for my Doctor. I find that the general Public around here looks at me very, very *weird* to say the least

Hi i'm replying with 1 hand wrapped up (dumb arthritis) so excuse me if i have some errors in the typin :P

yea i'm not that big of a meat eater, but i am not vegan for sure. if you got to restaurant, just ask how their burgers are made. thats how I found out.

We have bought buffalo meat from someone who raises them yummy those are so good!

yeah i'm getting very sick of salads, its why i dont eat out no more. and i always take some rice bread, never hurts (just gets weird looks)

i think the reason nobody knows about Celiac is its mostly in older people. none of the others in this town with it are below age 60. all over that age. i'm the only 'kid'!! and there are 2 people with only just a wheat allergy in this town :P

And omg I hate the weird looks! especially when I have some gluten-free food on me, ESPECIALLY in restaurant. so I just say "i have no choice" and usually leave me alone. :P

If you ever wanna talk off of the MB just let me know :)

~lisa~

Guest nini

I get Applegate Farms hot dogs because I also can't do nitrates or nitrites and need antibiotic and hormone free meats as well... I love it because they label the package with the words "gluten free" right on them.

My husband is native american too... Cherokee... he keeps getting on me to get some buffalo meat and cook it, but I'm too chicken! LOL!

Silver-naki Rookie

Hey Elonwy!

Thanks for the Post here... I was so happy to hear you yourself lived in Montana and got the opportunity to try both Buffalo meat & Huckleberries! That's great!!! I grew up on this stuff, because it was a main "thing" on the Reservation where I'm from. In those days, it was both healthy & common. There are many Restaurants who cater to the Tourists with Buffalo Burgers & such, & as far as I know, they do NOT put "fillers" in the Buffalo meat.... but. That could have changed thru the course of the years too.

Thanks for the info in your Post! I too, do alot of "googling" and I swear, I have about wore out that Search Engine! Laugh!! :D Thanks for the many tips tho elonwy, & also for the link... I will be looking into this!!

I also wanted to let you know, I have the Book, "Wheat Free/Worry Free" by Danna Korn. I just ordered it, and got it in a few days ago, but have not read much of it yet. I'm a fast reader tho, so it shouldn't take me long to get thru it! Thanks again elonwy, and much joy to you!!!

Silver-naki Rookie

Hello Lisa! :lol:

I always enjoy the Posts when someone gets on the board here... it helps to know about what others go thru, that's for sure. Hope the arthritis in your hand is much better. Dang, that's a bummer, isn't it? Wanna know what I use when my Arthritis flares up a bit?? I use the old "Horse cure," which is an Absorbine Horse Liniment.... Yep. You can get it at any local Ranch or Farm Supply Store.... it comes in a tan plastic bottle. It works on sore muscles too~ Very good stuff!

I was glad you told me about you having the chance to try Buffalo meat that was privately raised. That's the best kind, because then a person KNOWS there is no "additives" or "preservatives" in it. If you can find Buffalo Meat in a Grocery Store, most of it is labeled 100% pure. The stuff I buy, comes out of a meat-packing place from Colorado. They even have BUFFALO FRANKS out on the Market too, if one is lucky enough to get their hands on some of this!! I have requested they get this in where they sell the Buffalo meat here in our local Grocery Store, but that went over like a "lead balloon!" :angry: Most of the Restaurants that sell the Buffalo Burgers out here in the West, don't put "fillers" in them either. This appeases the Tourists.

It was a really good idea, you took your Rice Bread to the Restaurant with you! ... you know, I have often thought about doing that, & even told my husband I was going to do that as well... but of course, he is still in the "embarassment stage" yet, so I dared not! Laugh! :blink: It'll get to the point where I WILL tho!!!

Sooo, you're the only "kid" in your Town with Celiac, other than some of the elderly folks? Like I say, there's got to be more folks around our area here with it, but they just haven't come out of the "wood-work" yet! LOL! I think all of us folks who live in small rural areas should get together, & form a big Billboard that says: "Got Celiac?" :D (then put the number to the closest Celiac "hot-line" below it!)

Silver-naki Rookie

:wub: nini!!!!!!!!

It's great hearing from you!! Thanks for the info here on the hot-dogs!!! Applegate Farms, huh? I will have to look this one up, because I'm not sure if our local Grocers here sell this brand. But I'm sure they might, so will have to look for it. That's interesting about the "nitrates & hormones" in so many of the meats & most especially hot-dogs. I knew these things were loaded with this junk, but it never dawned on me WHY I got so sick on hot-dogs as a kid! LOL! :D I too, am finding out I have a sensitivity to "additives" and whatnot. (and just to think, all these years, I was polluting myself with much of this!) Geeezzzzzz!!!

I'm glad to know the Applegate Farms is labeled for gluten-free, so I will definitely be on the look-out for this brand name. Again, the "small Town" thing even carries over into the Super Market chains here, and one has to literally REQUEST or get on the Internet and write to these folks, to get anything done about getting certain brands of foods into the Grocery Stores. Really a bummer!!! Since I have been gluten-free, I have written more letters & inquiries, I swear~~~ That's why earlier, I was so interested to know about the hot-dogs & such at Movie Theatres. Yep.

I'm also glad to know your husband is Native..... :) don't give up hope on the Buffalo MEAT of any kind. It is very good and also very "pure." It really is. Buffalo is basically the most pure & LEAN meat you can eat, outside of Wild Game. Us Injun's call it the "true Cow," and anything outside of it, is not "natural!" LOL! :D (That's what we say anyway!) I just wish there was more places in my area that sold it in the Restaurants, but I am living off the Reservation now, so I must travel to the nearest Indian REZ to find Buffalo served in any of the Restraunts. Yep. The closest REZ sells a burger they call a "Tribal Burger," which is 100% Buffalo meat.... but.... with the "gluten" bun tho!!! LOL! :D My brother stops in there every time he comes down for a visit, just to get one of their "Tribal Burgers!"

Don't be "chicken" about getting some Buff burger nini.... because this stuff is no different tasting from Beef, except for a slight bit "sweeter" taste to it. It is also so "lean" that one almost has to put some "oil" in a pan when cooking it. When I go to Pow-Wow's, I've had BBQ Buffalo, and it is sooooo good! Buffalo is just like a giant COW, and thus, all of the meat is the same... burger, roasts, etc; etc; One cooks it exactly as they would any Beef meat. It does not have a wild taste to it like Wild meat or Game does either. Give it a try.... and remember, the Buffalo were here long before COWS were. Yep. They are "native" to our America. I can tell you some funny stories about buying BUFFALO meat in the Grocery store..... I use to drive all the way up to one of the local Indian REZ's here just to get it, until they finally got some in one of the Super Market's here. Talk about the ole` "raised eye-brow" look from the checker in the check-out line!!! LOL! She asked me, "What do you do with THIS?" I gave her an idiotic "blank" look, :blink: and said, "I EAT IT.' (well, duh.) LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would bolt over, if any of our Restaurant's here ever got in Buffalo meat, but that will be a "cold day in Hades" before that ever happens, I'm sure!

Thanks for all the tips nini, and I will look for the Applegate Farms brand of hot-dogs!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

num1habsfan Rising Star
It was a really good idea, you took your Rice Bread to the Restaurant with you! ... you know, I have often thought about doing that, & even told my husband I was going to do that as well... but of course, he is still in the "embarassment stage" yet, so I dared not! Laugh! :blink: It'll get to the point where I WILL tho!!!

I think all of us folks who live in small rural areas should get together, & form a big Billboard that says: "Got Celiac?" :D (then put the number to the closest Celiac "hot-line" below it!)

Ur husband shouldnt be embarassed (u can tell by typing that arthritis is no better so i want to type as little as i can heh) about taking rice bread when u go out to eat! its not like U urself is any different, its just the bread. Really, its true if u think about it. They have bread/buns w/flour, u use the rice bread. ;)

Hahaha and i luv ur idea of the big billboard. that would be such an awesome idea!! seriously, i would luv to see that while u are driving along the 'highway' between small towns, id die laughing, and then id send everyone going that direction down that road. ;):P

Thats all I have to say...for now hehehe.

~lisa~

Guest nini

There is a Ted's Montana Grill restaurant near me... they've even got a gluten free menu on their website, so I guess I could go try some Bison there! LOL!

elonwy Enthusiast

Check out this website I just found. I want to order this book. I read an article about this woman that directed me here, she traveled constantly for work, so had to eat out most of the time and was diagnosed Celiac so came up with this. How cool is that?

www.glutenfreepassport.com

Elonwy

Rusla Enthusiast

Hiya Silver,

I have been to Idaho plenty of times in the past, BC (Before Celiac). I have been through most of the midwest and Northern States, NY being the exception. Okay I know Trader Joes is on the West Coast in the US but not in the Wild West (lol). I guess Swiss Chalet is a Canadian thing.

I know the rural 338 people thing. I used to live in a small hamlet in about an 2 hours from Calgary that had that many people. Nothing worse than livig in beef and wheat country and say you don't eat beef and can't eat wheat. Rather like blashphemy here. Who knows maybe come summer I may decide to drive to Idaho for fun. Although I am off to Jamaica in March and hopefully Seattle in April.

It is easy to download a picture onto the site. I guess as long as you aren't naki <eg> they will put it up.

This is a great forum Silver, I have learned a lot here and a lot of support here.

Silver-naki Rookie

Hey nini!

A "Ted's Montana Grill?" Gee... wonder if they are from Montana?? :huh: Being raised in Montana, most of the industry is based around Tourism, so this is why the Buffalo meat is so popular. As I said in an earlier Post, they generally use 100% pure Buff meat, ..... at least most authentic places will. But. Nowadays, who's to say what folks might do in their Restaurants to save a few bucks??? I'd definitely try out this Ted's Montana Grill near you, & order you a piece of Buffalo meat and give it a try! Hopefully, they don't spice-it up, or add anything to it, but they shouldn't have to, because Buff meat is so darned good without anything. Seriously! :rolleyes:

Sounds like a very interesting place, & gee... wish they had something like that around here! As I said, you might try to look around in your local Grocery Stores to see if they DO sell any 100% Buffalo meat... Let me know if you decide to go eat out at Ted's! Good luck... and enjoy it if you do!

Check out this website I just found. I want to order this book.

THANKS here Elonwy!! I'll go into this Web Site you gave me and take a look... appreciate the "link" here! I know that if I "traveled" alot, I'd be screaming for as much help as I could get! LOL! It's interesting to know, there's many Publications & such out there to help all of us. Cheers!

Silver-naki Rookie

Hey there Rusla~

Thanks much for your Post----- Like I say, I haven't heard of a Trader Joe's, & if it's on the West Coast, I haven't heard of it either, because as you say, I am most definitely in the "Wild, Wild, WEST" out here where I live!! This is no joke... even the local Restaurants have "tumbleweeds" blown up against their buildings! :lol: I'm glad you told me the Swiss Chalet's were Canadian based, because I'd never heard of them either! All of this is quite interesting to know, & yes, I'm getting "educated!" giggle!!

I busted out LAUGHING :D when you said you knew what it was like to live in "Beef & Wheat Country!" Oh boy, isn't that the truth!!! To top it off, our area is nothing but Agriculture here, so a daily scene is the "Crop-duster" planes going overhead spraying "chemicals" & "fertilizers" in the Summer months!! gag! :ph34r: Even my poor Garden gets contaminated, with all that JUNK being blown thru the air! Just put it this way, "ORGANIC" is not a word around here, even tho we live in the "Wild West!"

Yes, and Elonwy was helping me to figure out how to download pictures onto the Site here, but my photo file sizes are TOO LARGE, so I can't get one up yet. I'll have to work on that one! I also agree with you, that this is a great Forum, & I've learned so much already!! It's helped me alot, so I wanted everybody to know that~

Thanks again Rusla, & if you can think of anymore Restaurant "chains" that are of interest, I'd love to hear about any, because one never knows when I will be going on a Vacation or trip somewhere once Summer hits in here for us. Our safest bet, is into the Mountains out CAMPING during the Summer, in which we do alot... therefore, that's easy to go the gluten-free route on that one!! :lol:

Archived