This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Advice On These Test Results..

water-nymph

water-nymph Newbie

Hello! I'm Michelle, and I may or may not have Celiac disease. Hopefully someone reading this can make some sense of my experience..

Here is my story:

Around the beginning of September 2005, I started experiencing urticaria (hives). I thought it was a reaction to something in my new apartment, so I tried all I could to pinpoint what I thought I was reacting to. I found nothing. It got worse and worse, and I started getting some terrible angioedema (swelling) to go with it. I endured it for months until I finally broke down and went to my PCP, then an allergist.

The allergist sent me for a ton of blood tests. He said that it's very unlikely that I have an allergy, and believed that the urticaria and angioedema are caused by Celiac disease. My family has no known history og the disease. Here are the abnormal things from my bloodwork (and the bits about Celiac):

From the CBC:

Monocytes, absolute: 185, Low; ref. range is 200-950 cells/mcL

Eosinophils, absolute: 0, Low; ref. range 15-550 cells/mcL

Other blood..

Immunoglobulins, IGA, serum: 49, Low; ref. range 81-463 mg/dL

T4 total: 13.3, High; ref. range 4.5-12.0 ug/dL

T3 Uptake: 20.0, Low; ref. range 27.8-40.7 percent

T3 total: 188, High; ref. range 60-181 ng/dL

Markers for celiac:

Tissue Transglutam AB IGA: <20

Gliadin AB (IGA): <20

Gliadin AB (IGG): 46 Units, High

Ref. ranges:

Negative: <20

Weak Positive: 20-30

Strong Positive: >30

The Gliadin AB (IGG) concerned him - he advised me to continue taking my anti-histamines and begin a gluten-free diet, which I have. He also wants me to get my thyroid checked out, which I will, eventually. An endoscopy was not discussed. I see him again in a few weeks and have a ton of questions for him, but I want to get some opinions and additional insight from you all...

From all I've read, Celiac can cause lactose intolerance. Years ago, I noticed I couldn't handle my dairy products, and have been taking lactaid ever since. Years before that, and until I began the gluten-free diet, I was plagued by almost constant gas. (I thought it was due to my antidepressants.) These two, along with the urticaria and angioedema, seem to be my only symptoms. How odd or unusual is this combination of symptoms?

(Oh, weight gain and fatigue might be symptoms, but who knows if they're related to that or depression..)

For those of you with knowledge of these sorts of test results, what can you tell me about the significance of having only the Gliadin AB (IGG) elevated? Can this be caused by something other than Celiac?

My doc didn't seem too concerned about the low levels of monocytes and eosinophils. Anyone know if it can be connected to Celiac (malabsorption, maybe)?

I've been gluten-free for about two and a half weeks. My gas problem is gone, as is the angioedema. I still have a few small hives in the morning, but they're becoming fewer and fewer..

I think that's about it for now.. This message is already much too long! If anyone can answer any of my questions, or has other insight, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you!

Blessings,

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast

My Enterolab results were positive. I found out today that my blood work done at the doc office was negative (after being on a gluten free diet for three weeks). My doc looked at everything, and said that he was comfortable saying that I was gluten intolerent, but not celiac for sure. Here is the bottom line. Since going gluten free, I have no more headaches, stomach aches, bowl movement problems, acid reflux, depression problems, and generally sleep and feel better. This has meant more to me than any test. My doc agress and wants me to continue the gluten free diet. The numbers on the paper dont matter. I don't want the endoscopy anyway, so he and I are not trying to convince the insurance company or anything like that. I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what you are trying to do. If you want to rule it out, then go by the numbers and stuff. But if you are on the gluten-free diet and you feel better, then maybe the numbers don't matter so much, you know? Those are my thoughts......

cami Rookie

Dear Michelle,

There's clearly something weird with your thyroid gland...

I too had urticaria - it itched like crazy all over my body for months, so I know only too well what you're talking about...

It turned out I was hyperthyroid.

Thyroid problems frequently cause urticaria. And depression. And weight gain... (Depression and weght gain is typical for hypothyroidism - anxiety and weight loss is related to hyperthyroidism)

Stomach problems can also be related.

I'm not saying that you're problems are related to a thyroid dysfunction, but they could be - besides there is a strong link between gluten intolerance and thyroid problems... So ibasically, f you have some thyroid problem, you're more likely to have/develop a gluten intolerance.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Cami

Archived