16 replies to this topic

#1 platinumpony49

platinumpony49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:02 PM

Hello, I just had a dexa scan the second in 14 months. I went from having a trace of osteopenia in 8/02 to osteoporsis now. I have been gluten-free the whole time and taking calcium. I also have bood tests for calcium levels which came back very good. I just don't know what to think much less what to do about it. If Iam not absorbing the calcium yet it shows up in my blood then where is it going?? If anyone can help please do. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2004 - 03:40 PM

I don't understand it myself, although it may be time now to try one of the fancier drugs such as Evista or Fosamax to reverse some of the osteoporosis. I hope your doctor has some theories on this...it is strange to be worse off than where you started!

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:59 PM

are you getting sufficient magnesium, zinc, and vit D with the calcium? there was a study (it's linked on this site somewhere) that magnesium is far more important for celiacs for bone health than calcium... (and too many calcium supplements don't have enough of it! bah on them!)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 07:11 PM

Tiffany is right. You need a balance of those supplements. Calcium alone is not enough to make strong bones, but for some reason that is the one that is pushed on the vitamin market. I would check into it.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 platinumpony49

platinumpony49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:05 AM

Thanks so much to all for your input. I have been taking a liquid calcium and magnesium called Eniva. When I told this to the doctor he said that there was no proof that magnesium helped. I tell you what everyone that a person talks to tells youa different story. Health store people and chiropractor don't want you to take Fosamax. It really leaves one wondering what is the best thing to do. I have to find someone to put my trust in besides the good Lord. I just wish there was a doctor in our area for Celiac. I had it with out knowing what it was for over 30 years..............does that tell you anything. Thanks again.

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:53 AM

Are you also getting plenty of weight bearing exercise? That's crucial to stimulate bone growth.
Bellevue, WA

#7 platinumpony49

platinumpony49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:50 PM

Yes, thanks Tiffany Iam doing strength training usually 4 times a week. I have been on that program for around 4 years. I probably should add walking to that. I have a stand on my feet job but don't move that much. Let me know if anyone has the same problem or any suggestions.

#8 andyc

andyc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

After being diagnosed with celiac disease I had a bone scan and I had osteoporosis - I went on Evista and then went to an endocrinologist. He did a 24 hour urine test and a lot of other test - I am now a mega doses of vitamin d(from the doctor)and evista I get get tested every 6 months and on my last dexa scan i no longer have osteoporosis but have osteopenia. Be careful with fosamax(?) if there is uncontrolled malabsorbtion this drug should not be taken(check with your doctor) -I found this out in a celiac meeting that hosted Dr Green from Columbia Pres hospital.

#9 carolyno

carolyno

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:48 AM

I'll add my two cents worth. Calcium citrate is more absorbable than Calcium carbonate (I don't know what you've got in your Calcium supplements.) It's a pain in the butt because a human body can only absorb 500 mg at a time so I have to take it many times during the day. BUT it works for me! My blood levels are good AND I have stabilized my osteopenia.

I also take about 800 IU of vitamin D with my calcium (Harvard has increased units recommended for women from 400 to 800 IU). And yes, I take magnesium as well.

If your doctor does not understand vitamins (many do not take any nutritional courses in med school), then a naturopath may be helpful.
Carolyn

#10 LUAP

LUAP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:36 AM

14 MONTHS

THAT'S A LOT...

BUT YOU SHOULDN'T FOCUS ON CALCIUM. YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON LYSINE. LYSINE IS THE PROTEIN THAT MAKE YOUR BODY ABSORB CALCIUM. WHY DO YOU MISS LYSINE? PART OF IT BECAUSE OF YOUR TRANSGLUTAMINASE (LYSINE+GLUTAMINE) ANTIBODY.

SO I THINK YOU SHOULD RATHER FOCUS ON LYSINE...
Canada
Where the health cares are free, but where the doctors worry more about their bank account than the health of their patients.
gluten-free since april 2003
On the no grain diet (Mercola) and initial phase diet (kaufmann) since january 2005. healthy since january 2005

#11 platinumpony49

platinumpony49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:19 PM

To All, Thanks but now am really confused!! Never heard of lysine and the person that did the scan said that evista is never recomended anymore!?!?! She said that I should take Fosmax. Andy, why would that add to malabsorption problem?? How does one know if they have malabsorption?? Like I said in above link my boold test for calcium and vit D and vit B came back normal. But then this dexa scan was bad. I so wish I had a doctor that delt with the problems of celiac. The closest one is 3 hours from here.

#12 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:29 PM

It just might be worth a three hour drive for answers!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#13 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 05:39 PM

Yep, the gyn for my vulvar vestibulitis is 90 miles away (3.5 hours during traffic! blah!), as is the sex therapist whom I see for the condition. A doctor who can help you is worth the time. (It's a pain coordinating with work, but eh... my health is more important.)
Bellevue, WA

#14 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:47 AM

That's strange that Evista isn't recommended anymore. My Mother has taken it for years with great results.

#15 platinumpony49

platinumpony49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

Hi Gillian, I don't know that for sure because I was only told that by the woman that gave me my dexa scan. If it has helped your mom that is great! I still am reading about different possibilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: