65 replies to this topic

#1 danikali

danikali

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

Okay, I recently, as some of you know, found out that I was getting glutened by roasted nuts that I have been eating for the past week! I had no idea and thought that something was really wrong since "I wasn't eating any gluten!" (I def. was!) I went home after I discovered this possible culprit, and all of the nuts that I had were dry roasted!!! The more I thought about it, the same day my symptoms started coming back were the same day I first bought the nuts and ate them!! Sheesh!

Anyway, this is the trickiest hidden gluten product that I can think of. But just to make sure that there are absolutley NO MORE MISTAKES, (at least for one straight month!!! :angry: ), what are some of the least obvious, most common hidden sources, that you can think of......

I know I am new to this whole thing still, and I may be a little bit naive, but where does the gluten come from, what do they use exactly to dry roast nuts?

Thanks!!! :D
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

I think Rice Dream is "tricky". Yes, it does say its got gluten right on the carton but still...its not somewhere you'd normally look. I think unless they've done their research beforehand alot of people have probably been glutened by Rice Dream at some point. I was.
Rachel

#3 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

Licking Envelopes

Bouillon Cubes

Vitamins

#4 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

rice dream
twizzlers
re-shaped holiday candies... egg shaped peanut butter cups, etc
HAM
That ONE BRAND of Hot dogs... which one is it?? I forget.
I believe in God.

#5 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:49 AM

Good ones! My Step-mom was trying out the diet actually (due to her having Rheumatoid Artheritis) and she just bought Rice Milk and I said, uh oh. Sorry but there's gluten in there, and I showed her the teeny tiny label.

Also, the licking envelopes is good too!
Danielle (Dani)

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Casein

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:49 AM

That ONE BRAND of Hot dogs... which one is it?? I forget.

Nathan's :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 watkinson

watkinson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:56 AM

sugar free metamucil
prescription medications
gluten-free candy that you eat all the time, like Snickers, but the snack size is not gluten-free.
Foods that are in the gluten-free area, but are not gluten-free, just wheat free.

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:09 AM

interesting... all the dry roasted nuts I have had have been gluten-free. have you checked with the company on the issue?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:38 AM

Yeah what brand was it? I eat dry roasted nuts all the time. Put em in stir fry's too. Yum.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#10 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

IN a forum that I posted two days ago, someone told me that ALL dry roasted nuts are contaminated. They did make the point though that not all ROASTED nuts have gluten, but all DRY roasted nuts. What do you think?

No ... not all roasted nuts have gluten, just if it says DRY roasted. Also smoked almonds have gluten.

I don't have a problem with dairy, but lots do. If you can drink milk with no problems, then by all means go for it :P

Hmmmmmm........ :huh:
Danielle (Dani)

Casein

#11 gymnastjlf

gymnastjlf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:03 PM

Nathan's :)

gluten-free candy that you eat all the time, like Snickers, but the snack size is not gluten-free

I thought that Snickers was considered to be the "universal" gluten-free candy? I thought Ann Lee said that at the conference in September (at Columbia). I haven't had the bite/snack size Snickers up to this point, but if I were handed one, I would've eaten it without a second thought. Yikes! Also, with the dry roasted nuts... I'm looking at a package of Walmart (Great Value) brand dry-roasted peanuts. The ingredients are: peanuts, salt, sugar, cornstarch, maltodextrin, MSG, dried yeast, dried corn syrup, spices, natural flavor, garlic, onion powder.

And then it says Manufactured in a facility that processes products containing milk solids and tree nuts. I just got off the phone with Wal-Mart (1-800-WALMART); they said this is not a gluten-free product, but only because of cross-contamination issues. It's interesting that it doesn't mention that it's produced in a facility with wheat products, if they're worried about CC. Would you suggest I not buy GV brand again? I don't have any problems from them, but then again, I don't get noticeably ill from gluten. Is there a brand that doesn't have cross-contamination issues with their products?

#12 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

Isn't that crazy that they have to put all of that stuff on nuts? All we need is salt!!
Danielle (Dani)

Casein

#13 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

IN a forum that I posted two days ago, someone told me that ALL dry roasted nuts are contaminated. They did make the point though that not all ROASTED nuts have gluten, but all DRY roasted nuts. What do you think?
Hmmmmmm........ :huh:

I've had reactions to nuts as well - bad DH and a rash. But not all the time. So much that I went to allergist to get tested for a nut allergy. Which I don't have. It was at a time I was doing the South Beach diet and eating a ton of them. I assumed it was just from eating too many. But you make an interesting point.

I have emailed Planters so lets see it we get a response. If you can't wait for the answer this is posted on their website:

[size=4]How do I obtain allergen information for your products?
Our Consumer Affairs Representative through 1-800-323-0768 will happy to help you with any questions you have concerning allergens and our products.

Still have a question ... contact us[/size
]

#14 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:41 PM

I would think the issue with nuts would be a cross-contamination issue. I dont think ALL dry roasted nuts are contaminated...it would depend on the amnufacturing facility. Unless...of course you're eating some nuts that have other stuff in them like wheat....but that would be indicated in the ingredients.
Rachel

#15 Mahee34

Mahee34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

twizzlers, honey glazed ham and an apple cider that used a certain spice that they only informed me of after i was sick and finally called the company....also, certain brands of swedish fish have wheat in them....the orignial brand doesn't luckily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: