Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Roasted Nuts

66 posts in this topic

Okay, I recently, as some of you know, found out that I was getting glutened by roasted nuts that I have been eating for the past week! I had no idea and thought that something was really wrong since "I wasn't eating any gluten!" (I def. was!) I went home after I discovered this possible culprit, and all of the nuts that I had were dry roasted!!! The more I thought about it, the same day my symptoms started coming back were the same day I first bought the nuts and ate them!! Sheesh!

Anyway, this is the trickiest hidden gluten product that I can think of. But just to make sure that there are absolutley NO MORE MISTAKES, (at least for one straight month!!! :angry: ), what are some of the least obvious, most common hidden sources, that you can think of......

I know I am new to this whole thing still, and I may be a little bit naive, but where does the gluten come from, what do they use exactly to dry roast nuts?

Thanks!!! :D

Ads by Google:

I think Rice Dream is "tricky". Yes, it does say its got gluten right on the carton but still...its not somewhere you'd normally look. I think unless they've done their research beforehand alot of people have probably been glutened by Rice Dream at some point. I was.

rice dream

twizzlers

re-shaped holiday candies... egg shaped peanut butter cups, etc

HAM

That ONE BRAND of Hot dogs... which one is it?? I forget.

Good ones! My Step-mom was trying out the diet actually (due to her having Rheumatoid Artheritis) and she just bought Rice Milk and I said, uh oh. Sorry but there's gluten in there, and I showed her the teeny tiny label.

Also, the licking envelopes is good too!

That ONE BRAND of Hot dogs... which one is it?? I forget.

Nathan's :)

sugar free metamucil

prescription medications

gluten-free candy that you eat all the time, like Snickers, but the snack size is not gluten-free.

Foods that are in the gluten-free area, but are not gluten-free, just wheat free.

interesting... all the dry roasted nuts I have had have been gluten-free. have you checked with the company on the issue?

Yeah what brand was it? I eat dry roasted nuts all the time. Put em in stir fry's too. Yum.

Elonwy

IN a forum that I posted two days ago, someone told me that ALL dry roasted nuts are contaminated. They did make the point though that not all ROASTED nuts have gluten, but all DRY roasted nuts. What do you think?

No ... not all roasted nuts have gluten, just if it says DRY roasted. Also smoked almonds have gluten.

I don't have a problem with dairy, but lots do. If you can drink milk with no problems, then by all means go for it :P

Hmmmmmm........ :huh:

gluten-free candy that you eat all the time, like Snickers, but the snack size is not gluten-free

I thought that Snickers was considered to be the "universal" gluten-free candy? I thought Ann Lee said that at the conference in September (at Columbia). I haven't had the bite/snack size Snickers up to this point, but if I were handed one, I would've eaten it without a second thought. Yikes! Also, with the dry roasted nuts... I'm looking at a package of Walmart (Great Value) brand dry-roasted peanuts. The ingredients are: peanuts, salt, sugar, cornstarch, maltodextrin, MSG, dried yeast, dried corn syrup, spices, natural flavor, garlic, onion powder.

And then it says Manufactured in a facility that processes products containing milk solids and tree nuts. I just got off the phone with Wal-Mart (1-800-WALMART); they said this is not a gluten-free product, but only because of cross-contamination issues. It's interesting that it doesn't mention that it's produced in a facility with wheat products, if they're worried about CC. Would you suggest I not buy GV brand again? I don't have any problems from them, but then again, I don't get noticeably ill from gluten. Is there a brand that doesn't have cross-contamination issues with their products?

Isn't that crazy that they have to put all of that stuff on nuts? All we need is salt!!

IN a forum that I posted two days ago, someone told me that ALL dry roasted nuts are contaminated. They did make the point though that not all ROASTED nuts have gluten, but all DRY roasted nuts. What do you think?

I've had reactions to nuts as well - bad DH and a rash. But not all the time. So much that I went to allergist to get tested for a nut allergy. Which I don't have. It was at a time I was doing the South Beach diet and eating a ton of them. I assumed it was just from eating too many. But you make an interesting point.

I have emailed Planters so lets see it we get a response. If you can't wait for the answer this is posted on their website:

How do I obtain allergen information for your products?

Our Consumer Affairs Representative through 1-800-323-0768 will happy to help you with any questions you have concerning allergens and our products.

Still have a question ... contact us[/size]

I would think the issue with nuts would be a cross-contamination issue. I dont think ALL dry roasted nuts are contaminated...it would depend on the amnufacturing facility. Unless...of course you're eating some nuts that have other stuff in them like wheat....but that would be indicated in the ingredients.

twizzlers, honey glazed ham and an apple cider that used a certain spice that they only informed me of after i was sick and finally called the company....also, certain brands of swedish fish have wheat in them....the orignial brand doesn't luckily.

Yes, Nathan's.... I hate Nathan's. What the &%&^* do they need wheat in Hot Dogs for??? Killed my laid back attitude towards bbqs in the summer. We had a Bon fire a few weeks ago, and my friend brought those freaking Nathan's. I was like, "WHOA!"... Keep 'em offa the grill till my kid gets a Boar's Head hot dog done up. Just really burns me up. <_<

westsoy soymilk

candies (like see's)

chicken broth

frozen foods, like veggie burgers (most brands)

dry roasted nuts (they give them out on an airplane!)

candy corn (some brands)

certain cheeses, meats (like deli)

basically any food that it seems like wouldnt need gluten for any purposes... I mean if it can taste just as good w/o the gluten, why put it in?!

I'm confused about the snickers thing though- i thought the fun size were gluten-free in US?? Am i wrong? And what about the minis? great topic by the way- interesting and so useful!!!

Okay, this is from the brand new Canadian Celiac Ass. Pocket Dictionary.

Nuts (Dry Roasted or Seasoned)

May be prepared with seasoning mixture containing wheat flour or wheat starch, which is not gluten-free. Contact the manufacturer.

Nuts (Corn or Soy) Seasoned

May be prepared with seasoning mixture contianing wheat flour or wheat starch, which is not gluten-free. Contact the manufacturer.

So ... sorry I told you that Dry Roasted nuts were not gluten free. My old dictuonary said they were NOT allowed. Guess some manufacturers are now making some that are gluten free.

Egg shaped peanut butter cups have gluten?

I saw that post, but my experience does not bear it out. Yes, I have seen that the airplane nuts I've been given on southwest (both their own brand and planter's) have had wheat, but I've also seen a number I have purchased in the store not have wheat. the only ingredients in the dry roasted nuts I usually get are nuts/salt/oil. (these have been nuts from Trader Joe's or Diamond's most of the time, as almonds are my favorite nut - though I prefer them raw over roasted.)

I have heard the dry roasted peanuts are questionable but I eat the planters dry roasted, do those also contain gluten the honey roasted I know contain corn starch and I also eat those does anyone know if the planters are ok I dont wanna continue to eat them if they are not!

I'm sorry, :( I should clarify....I didn't mean to say that Snickers snack size is not gluten-free, I said Snickers because it was a candy that I eat all the time. I just meant some candies snack sizes are not gluten-free. I can't even remember which one now. It was Chritmas time a year ago. We got a bag of something snack size and saw in the ingredients that it was not gluten-free. I remember calling the company to make sure and they said we were right. Was it some Christmas Rese's cup or maybe butterfinger? Sorry I can't remember. I just tend to stay away from snack sizes and eat the regular size.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Wendy

Planters are owned by Kraft and as such will list any Wheat Barley Rye or Oats on the label, so sofar so good on those nuts.

Elonwy

I'm sorry, :( I should clarify....I didn't mean to say that Snickers snack size is not gluten-free, I said Snickers because it was a candy that I eat all the time. I just meant some candies snack sizes are not gluten-free. I can't even remember which one now. It was Chritmas time a year ago. We got a bag of something snack size and saw in the ingredients that it was not gluten-free. I remember calling the company to make sure and they said we were right. Was it some Christmas Rese's cup or maybe butterfinger? Sorry I can't remember. I just tend to stay away from snack sizes and eat the regular size.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Wendy

Thanks Wendy, no worries, just wanted to be sure!!!! one of my professors always keeps a dish of candy in her office and im in there several times a day- she sets the snickers aside for me b/c she knows i like them and can eat them- but i got scared there for a second!!

Okay, I recently, as some of you know, found out that I was getting glutened by roasted nuts that I have been eating for the past week! I had no idea and thought that something was really wrong since "I wasn't eating any gluten!" (I def. was!) I went home after I discovered this possible culprit, and all of the nuts that I had were dry roasted!!! The more I thought about it, the same day my symptoms started coming back were the same day I first bought the nuts and ate them!! Sheesh!

Anyway, this is the trickiest hidden gluten product that I can think of. But just to make sure that there are absolutley NO MORE MISTAKES, (at least for one straight month!!! :angry: ), what are some of the least obvious, most common hidden sources, that you can think of......

I know I am new to this whole thing still, and I may be a little bit naive, but where does the gluten come from, what do they use exactly to dry roast nuts?

Thanks!!! :D

I think this one is the strangest I've seen in a while-

If you order an Omelette at IHOP, you will get glutened even if you have it specially prepared in a clean separate pan.

They add pancake batter to their omelettes - they say it makes them fluffier