65 replies to this topic

#46 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:22 AM

I have seen wheat in charcoal. Wheat is in some flavors of ice cream.

:o Charcoal? :o

I don't even see an ingredient list! Do you know which brands? ACK!

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 luvthelake21

luvthelake21

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

I do not know what brands have wheat in charcoal because now I use a gas grill. I had read on this forum a lady was getting sick every time she grilled a steak. So some asked her if she used charcoal and she said yes. I have looked at some charcoal bags in the past and I have seen wheat in it. If we use charcoal now we use lump coal not the briquets(sp)

#48 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

I was in a Vitamin Shoppe looking for probiotic's yesterday and found Kyo-Dophilus brand. There are several varieties to choose from, one which I had to read 4 times, and still walked away shaking my head. I decided to buy a totally different brand altogether. This is what I found on one of the bottles of Kyo-Dophilus, in the ingredients:

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
Gelatin, Cornstarch, Dextrin, Calcium Carbonate, Silica and Magnesium Stearate.

Contains trace amounts of wheat and soy.

FREE OF: Preservatives, Sugar, Sodium, Milk, Yeast, Gluten, Artificial Colors or Flavors.

Now, explain to me, how can this product be free of gluten, yet still contain trace amounts of wheat??? I decided I can not trust this company with this kind of statement.

Here is the product on their website: http://www.kyolic.co...odopenzymes.htm
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#49 Aves

Aves

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

Oh, I love this forum! I was just about to post this question, and here you all are already discussing it.

I've been snacking on Walgreens Mediterranean nut mix and getting sick.

Ingredients: Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, penaut oil and/or soybean oil, salt.
Processed on shared equipment with peanut and nut containing products.

Who'da thunk?!

interesting... all the dry roasted nuts I have had have been gluten-free. have you checked with the company on the issue?

#50 Cath4k

Cath4k

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

The sneakiest and worst offenders for us have been:

1. Products that are labeled gluten-free, but are not either because of the PPM they allow or because of cross contamination.

2. Any freakin' item that has been run on the same line as a gluten product for processing or packaging. One organic juice company I was talking to was explaining that they do wash their lines well in between runs and they can really wash because they are liquid runs. She said dry run processing usually only blows off the lines, rather than a thorough wet wash between runs. Ug.

We are hyper-sensitive to even the smallest amounts of gluten and have been contaminated way too much!

Cathy

#51 Crimson

Crimson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

I'm kind of new. I've been reading a great deal on this site.
I'm seeing that many have posted about Rice Dream not being gluten free.
My carton of organic Rice Dream rice milk and the web site both say that it IS gluten free.
I believe they've concluded that gluten free would be good for business.

Just thought I'd share.
4/30/2008 Went Gluten Free
Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

3/19/2009 11 Months Gluten Free:Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 21 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

#52 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:23 AM

I'm kind of new. I've been reading a great deal on this site.
I'm seeing that many have posted about Rice Dream not being gluten free.
My carton of organic Rice Dream rice milk and the web site both say that it IS gluten free.
I believe they've concluded that gluten free would be good for business.

Just thought I'd share.

Welcome to the boards.
Rice Dream uses a barley enzyme in their product. Because barley is not considered an allergan by the powers that be and the barley is in a small amount they can legally call this not gluten free item gluten free. Pacific makes a good rice milk and if you live in an area with a Wegmans they have recently come out with a truely gluten free rice milk also.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#53 ThatlldoGyp

ThatlldoGyp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:25 AM

B Complex vitamins WEGMANS Brand got me the other day. I returned them, of course, but it was close.
The ones I have to stay on my toes about: "Mixed greens" in vitamins that end up including barley grass. How could they possibly avoid getting any seed or other gluten containing material in the vitamins when massed produced? I would not touch anything made with barley or wheat grass with a ten foot pole! Seriously why go where you don't need to and risk getting glutened!?!
This reminds me to finish that thought..B COMPLEX VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS AT WEGMANS says gluten-free, and technically they are allowed to sell it as such, but it does contain barley grass, use caution with all vitamins, even of they say gluten free!

#54 Crimson

Crimson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

I suppose this is a situation where I can say luckily I cannot handle grains. I live in an area where we have a walmart, martins and...... :huh:
hah

I will however look into finding a site that I can order one of your suggested rice milks. Orrrrr I'll try that recipe I found to make my own.

I appreciate the information!
4/30/2008 Went Gluten Free
Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

3/19/2009 11 Months Gluten Free:Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 21 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

#55 Jujbe

Jujbe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

I think Rice Dream is "tricky". Yes, it does say its got gluten right on the carton but still...its not somewhere you'd normally look. I think unless they've done their research beforehand a lot of people have probably been glutened by Rice Dream at some point. I was.

Huh? I'm confused now. I'm just been diagnosed & so have been reading lots of posts to learn more. Never heard of 'Rice Dream' before so googled it to see what it was. Their site goes on about how healthy & safe their products are & it also gives a list of what products are gluten free on this page:
http://www.tastethed.../glutenfree.php

Has something changed? Did they include gluten before but don't now? Or what? Not that I'm going out to buy it - I prefer to make my own foods but if Rice Dream contains gluten & they say it doesn't on their website, isn't that false advertising?

#56 Jujbe

Jujbe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

Oops, :huh: I posted my questions about Rice Dream after I read posts on the 1st page. But since I've read to the end, I understand now why they labelled it gluten-free. So how do we really know if something really is safe or not? Does it mean malt-containing products (if no gluten or wheat in them) can be labelled gluten-free then?

#57 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

twizzlers, honey glazed ham and an apple cider that used a certain spice that they only informed me of after i was sick and finally called the company....also, certain brands of swedish fish have wheat in them....the orignial brand doesn't luckily.

The ham! Cripes now I know why I might have been a little off last week.
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#58 hlm34

hlm34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:26 AM

the one that gets me is the regular flavor of Doritos. All the other flavors are gluten free - but not the original nacho flavor. even "spicy nacho" is gluten-free. Doritos are my one pregnancy craving, so if my husband goes out to get some for me, i have to make sure to tell him several times "NOT the original nacho flavor." Also, i saw that Pringles have wheat in them?? or am i mistaken? i thought i read that the other day. thought that was weird.

#59 parla

parla

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

Absolutely no reason I can think of why Soy Sauce should have wheat as the second ingredient (its not a big deal, I buy the wheat free stuff)...

Grrrrrrrrrrr......

I read that they use it to help it pour more freely. There's a type of soy sauce called tamari which should not have any wheat, although I've seen some that have barley.

The one that got me was Haribo gummibears and other candies. I wrote to the company and they said that all their products contain glucose syrup made from wheat and corn.

#60 Guest_lorlyn_*

Guest_lorlyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

Hey Parla,
Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: