This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Allergens

sillyyak

sillyyak Enthusiast

I was wondering why potatoes and tomatoes and bananas and rice can be considered allergens?

How does one get tested for other food allergies besides gluten?

I am new to this disease and food intolerances so any advice would be appreciated! Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

I pasted info I have posted before on "allergies" below. Explains the difference between a classic food allergy (IgE) and a delayed food allergy/sensitivity/food intolerance (IgG). York Allergy Labs and Great Plains Labs do this type of testing. I opted for Great Plains b/c my insurance covered part of it. (I can give you more info on that if you like). Another option is to keep a food journal and try a rotation diet--that often helps identity a link between certain symptoms and foods. That is how I first figured out I was casein intolerant.

Oh, and people can have intolerances to those foods you mentioned. Potatoes and tomatoes are part of the nightshade food family and for some folks, nightshades cause joint pain and other symptoms. Technically I am intolerant to rice (accord. to my food intol. results). When a person has a myriad intolerances, it is likely they have a "leaky" gut...With leaky gut, food proteins etc. can leak through the gut wall into the blood stream, thereby causing the body to say 'what are you doing in here?' and produce antibodies. When I had a food intolerance test done, I came back allergic/intolerant to a host of foods. The doc I spoke with said that was all evidence of leaky gut--no one is just born allergic to all those foods. Some of those may go away, but its not a guarantee per se. One way to help prevent food intolerances is to eat a varied diet--not the same foods all the time and eliminate the ones you know are culprits.

. What is the difference between food allergy and food intolerance?

Many people think the terms food allergy and food intolerance mean the same thing; however, they do not. A food intolerance is an adverse food-induced reaction that does not involve the immune system. Lactose intolerance is one example of a food intolerance. A person with lactose intolerance lacks an enzyme that is needed to digest milk sugar. When the person eats milk products, symptoms such as gas, bloating, and abdominal pain may occur.

A food allergy occurs when the immune system reacts to a certain food. The most common form of an immune system reaction occurs when the body creates immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies to the food. When these IgE antibodies react with the food, histamine and other chemicals (called mediators) cause hives, asthma, or other symptoms of an allergic reaction.

Introduction

Foods can cause a number of reactions, not all of which are allergic. Anyone can experience an adverse reaction to a food. The types of adverse reactions are as follows:

Adverse Reactions to Foods

Food Intolerance - where the immune system is not involved in the reaction

* Food poisoning

* Idiosyncratic reactions to food

* Anaphylactoid reactions (they act like anaphylaxis but there is no allergy-IgE antibody involved)

* Pharmacologic reactions

Food Allergy - when the immune system is involved in the reaction

* IgE mediated (classic allergy- tests are available) Non-IgE mediated

* Type III immune response- a serum sickness like reaction

* Type IV immune response- a contact dermatitis type reaction

Food Allergy- Facts and Figures

Food intolerance accounts for 80% of all adverse reactions to food.

Food allergy accounts for 20% of all adverse reactions to food.

Allergic reactions can be itching, swelling, rash, spreading hives, vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties and in the most severe of the allergic disorders, anaphylaxis can lead to collapse and death. By definition, anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction which involves two of the body's systems (eg respiratory and gastrointestinal or skin). Anaphylactic deaths as a result of insect bites or penicillin are usually very quick - within minutes - and due to cardiac arrest, anaphylactic deaths due to food allergies are usually due to suffocation (breathing difficulties).

Food intolerance reactions can be the same as above, as well as:

skin (rashes, swelling)

airways (asthma, stuffy or runny nose, frequent colds and infections)

gastrointestinal tract (irritable bowel symptoms, colic, bloating, diarrhea, vomiting, frequent mouth ulcers, reflux, bedwetting, 'sneaky poos', 'sticky poos')

central nervous system (migraines, headaches, anxiety, depression, lethargy, impairment of memory and concentration, panic attacks, irritability, restlessness, inattention, sleep disturbance, restless legs, moodswings, PMT).

Symptoms of food intolerance can come and go and change throughout life.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Jen--I am wondering--After you had the tests for food intolerances, did your physical reactions match up with the test results? I am considering having allergy/intolorence testing so I don't have to wonder any more if certain foods are a problem. After having them, are these types of tests something you would recommend? Thanks :)

Archived