This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bowel Movements Worsening After 2 Weeks gluten-free

Jeepster

Jeepster Apprentice

The last year has been frustrating and confusing to say the least. Three different doctors gave me three different dx's and advice based on those dx's (two of them said I can eat gluten, just "not too much"). So after getting my gene test back right before the Holidays showing I have HLA-DQ2 to go along with my high level of anti-gliadin antibodies, I've decided to try a gluten-free diet again. After two weeks my usual symptoms are the same - sometimes dizzy, brain fog episodes, forgetfulness, hot then cold hands, hungry all the time, headaches after I eat, terrible dry eyes, tired all the time... but my bowel movements have worsened. My diet is very clean. No coffee, sodas, candy, sugar. Lots of fresh fruits, salad and veggie with my main dinner including plain chicken or meat. So what is going on? Why would my diarrhea be getting worse if the gluten was removed?

Oh yeah, and I'm casein-free too. Dairy gives me wicked stomach aches.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice

Many people find that their symptoms get worse before getting better after they go gluten free. I'd give it a bit more time. When I first went gluten free, I felt like I could have slept all day, and I was hungry all the time. I hope you start to feel better soon!

Pauliina

sillyyak Enthusiast

I initially had been getting better but this past week has been horrendous with n, v, d.. same symptoms all over again. I have been very careful.

Maybe Pauline is right - you have to get better before you get worse? Anyway, it cannot be any worse than what it was in the past, right? I mean, now you know what you have and you can go from there...

MACE Rookie
The last year has been frustrating and confusing to say the least. Three different doctors gave me three different dx's and advice based on those dx's (two of them said I can eat gluten, just "not too much"). So after getting my gene test back right before the Holidays showing I have HLA-DQ2 to go along with my high level of anti-gliadin antibodies, I've decided to try a gluten-free diet again. After two weeks my usual symptoms are the same - sometimes dizzy, brain fog episodes, forgetfulness, hot then cold hands, hungry all the time, headaches after I eat, terrible dry eyes, tired all the time... but my bowel movements have worsened. My diet is very clean. No coffee, sodas, candy, sugar. Lots of fresh fruits, salad and veggie with my main dinner including plain chicken or meat. So what is going on? Why would my diarrhea be getting worse if the gluten was removed?

Oh yeah, and I'm casein-free too. Dairy gives me wicked stomach aches.

PUTTING ALOT OF FRESH FRUIT, SALADS AND VEGGIES INTO ONES DIET ALL OF A SUDDEN CAN GIVE SOMEONE DIARRHEA UNTIL THE BODY ADJUST TO IT. I KNOW THAT HAPPENED TO ME IN THE PAST.

Rusla Enthusiast

Think of all the years worth of gluten in your body. It has to clean out first so your body has to adjust to no gluten and flush the rest out. I get little bouts of that still but I have only been gluten-free for slightly over a month and if I get a slight accidental glutening it is like I am back at square one.

Nancym Enthusiast

I have the same issue. I must have had 15 BM's in the last 24 hours. :\ My diet is so squeaky clean. I'm going to try the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) and see if that helps.

Claire Collaborator

I realize this isn't funny - I have experienced the same thing.

I have this mental picture of this little 'Immune System guy" who is looking around for some gluten to attack and not finding ending thinks - "Oh gee, now I can go afterl all those other things I didn't have time for before!!!!!!!!

Unidentified reactive foods may still be an issue. I know that to be true for me. Claire

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mookie03 Contributor

I know it is extremely frustrating, but I would give it some more time. This is a pretty big adjustment for your body and you are not going to feel perfect right away. But no matter how much u restrict your diet, it may not help until ur body has taken the time it needs. In my opinion, you could decide to live on one food for the next month and it would probably still make u sick about 1/2 the time. B/c your body needs the time to heal. I've been gluten-free for 7 months now and i am feeling really good now and can eat anything but gluten. But everyone's body is different - it could take 3 days, 3 months, a year, or more. For your sake i hope its sooner rather than later :)

Archived