- - - - -

Skin Color Purple

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cainepole_*

Guest_cainepole_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

I am new to the boards here so, let me introduce myself. I'm 26 & 120 and was diagnosed with celiac disease almost a year ago but have probably had it my whole life considering previous misdiagnoses. Along with my symptoms of celiac disease one thing my doctor and I haven't figured out is my purple skin tone. With my size and color I look like a corpse, which is fine for Halloween but, this is year round. Even if I tan my skin stays tinted dead purple. Anyone have any advice? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 chrissy

chrissy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

one of my twins is really thin (actually they both are but one is 15-20 lbs heavier than the other) anyway, the thinnest one quite often gets blue lips and blue hands, but it is usually when she is cold---even if the rest of us aren't cold.
christine
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:56 PM

I would suggest a full blood work panel to see what difficencies that you may have. Perhaps a vitamine inbalance. Those of us with celiac, it is always good to do that several times a year to make sure that we are getting what we need to have our body function as well as it can.

Lisa B.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

...purple skin tone...

There is an autoimmune condition called dermatomyositis, although this presents itself more in purple patches. Since many autoimmune conditions can be triggered by gluten, could there be a connection?

#5 Guest_cainepole_*

Guest_cainepole_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

I still haven't gone to the doc for a full blood work up. A friend of mine with Lupis said that I might not be getting enough Beta Carotene and suggested Burt's Bee's carrot oil lotion, this does not seem to be helping so I guess it is time for that blood work up. If I can get the cash together soon I'll let all of you know what the results are. Another suggestion that was made to me was low capilarairy response, does anyone know more about that?

#6 GlutenFreeAl

GlutenFreeAl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:03 AM

It's possibly Reynaud's disease, which I have. Basically I it means that there's not much blood flowing in my extremities and they're almost always cold and purple.

There's nothing they can do for it with the possible exception (I think) of blood thinners.

I've learned to just live with it and invest in warm gloves and wool socks (don't know what your climate is like) and it's actually gotten better as I've gotten older.

My face is always super super pale as well, and I'm sure that's related.

Sorry couldn't be of any more help than that!!

#7 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:08 AM

I think I have this-
Toes and fingers go purple (even in summer!)
Interestingly my face is always very pale too,it doesn't even tan.

This winter I got some chilblains on my toes (gosh they hurt!) and I am sure it's all related.

BTW I am not a coeliac (my husband is-but I am gluten-free with him)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,707 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:15 AM

I am new to the boards here so, let me introduce myself. I'm 26 & 120 and was diagnosed with celiac disease almost a year ago but have probably had it my whole life considering previous misdiagnoses. Along with my symptoms of celiac disease one thing my doctor and I haven't figured out is my purple skin tone. With my size and color I look like a corpse, which is fine for Halloween but, this is year round. Even if I tan my skin stays tinted dead purple. Anyone have any advice? :huh:

This may be something called livedo reticularis, I had it all my life and it got real pronounced when I was at my sickest. For some reason acupuncture would clear the color before I went gluten-free, it kind of amazed the Dr doing it. Now my skin tone is normal (it did take a long time to go away)- unless I get glutened. I theorize that it is a blood vessel response to the toxin because it goes away if I am totally gluten-free. But who knows. So anyway you may want to try acupuncture and make sure you are completely gluten-free.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 paulasimone

paulasimone

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:49 AM

A friend of mine with Lupis said that I might not be getting enough Beta Carotene and suggested Burt's Bee's carrot oil lotion, this does not seem to be helping so I guess it is time for that blood work up.

If you mean the Carrot Day (or Night) Creme, it has gluten in it. :o Below is the the list of Burt's Bee's products NOT to use.

:)
Paula

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Burt's Bees. The Quality Resources Department Manager has put together a list of products that SHOULD NOT be used by Celiac Patients. These products contain wheat, oat, rye, or barley derived ingredients.

Please AVOID these products:

Baby Bee:
Apricot Baby Oil (Wheat)
Buttermilk Soap (Oat)
Shampoo Bar (Oat)

Healthy Skin:
Avocado Hair Butter Treatment (Oat)
Carrot Day Crème (Wheat)
Carrot Night Crème (Wheat)
Citrus Facial Scrub (Oat)
Coconut Foot Crème (Oat)
Orange Essence Cleansing Crème (Oat)
Vitamin E Bath & Body Oil (Wheat)

Healthy Treatment:
Repair Serum (Wheat)

Natural Remedy:
Dr. Burt's Res-Q Ointment or Comfrey Salve (Wheat)
Poison Ivy Soap (Oat)
Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar (Oat)
Peppermint Foot Lotion (Wheat)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: