10 replies to this topic

#1 Random Guy

Random Guy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:21 AM

i'm fairly new to all of this - diagnosed with celiac on 12/21/05, gluten free since 1/1/06

and i am all for being 100% gluten-free with no cheating

this guy i work with that has celiac also, told me that your intestines heal in a matter of weeks. any gluten will damage them again. and they will heal again in a couple of weeks. but there is some amount of 'scarring' damage that is cumulative (meaning the scarring on top of previous scarring gets worse and worse with each incident'

i don't remember reading that anywhere else.
anyone know if this is true? or false? or theoretically makes sense, but not proven?
thanks
rg

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

To begin with it takes more then a few weeks to heal--some people take up to 5 yrs, average I think is around 2 yrs. I dont know if anyone truly knows how much damage is done by celiacs disease and a celiac must stay gluten free. Any gluten is too much. If you eat gluten on purpose, you are only adding to the damage already done. Sometimes we do get glutened by accident, we learn from those mistakes. When we go gluten free, we heal, but we cant really know what damage was already done, we can only prevent further damage from occuring. Keep at it! Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

All evidence suggests that the vast majority of people - who stay completely gluten free - do eventually completely heal. That is *not* all of them. The chemical reaction that is celiac disease (reacting to the gluten and destroying the intestines) can run for a week or two itself. Then there's time needed for repair of the damage caused during that reaction. So, theorectically, if you start with pristine intestines, have one gluten-ing episode, you may have gone through the reacting/damaging/healing cycle in four weeks, if you're a fast reactor and a fast healer.

But the 'starting with pristine intestines' thing is a HUGE assumption. It doesn't take into account daily contamination risks. It doesn't take into account any large scale damage that your body is trying to recover from if you ate gluten for a number of years earlier in life (where it could take many months or many years to completely heal). And it doesn't take into account the leftover chemical indicators of the inflammatory process in your intestines. These secondary chemicals can stick around for months, and from my reading, I would guess these are what play a large role in some of the more serious long term complications of celiac disease. (There is thought that other autoimmune diseases can be triggered by extended inflammatory cycles in the body.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

All comments here address intestinal damage done by gluten. Why is it that the neurological damage that is real threat to people with Celiac is rarely ever mentioned. Maybe you can, over time, heal a damaged gut but how do you heal a damaged brain? Is gluten worth the risk? Claire

#5 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

I'm guessing your friend was diagnosed as a small child and has never known (or remembered) being really sick with long-term damage. If glutened, he or anyone will feel like cr&p for a few weeks and then feel better. This has nothing to do with actual intestinal damage. He is simply uninformed.

Merika

#6 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

If you ate a little rat poison, you would get sick, then recover eventually.

If you ate it again, you would get sick, and recover again.....

Over the long haul, it would be safe to assume that you are slowing poisoning yourself to death.

Same goes for gluten. It is toxic to us. Sure, it won't kill us immediately, but the more exposure to it, the closer you are to it killing you.
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#7 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

anyone know if this is true? or false?

Umm....I would say false.

YUP...thats my final answer. :D
Rachel

#8 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

If anyone knows, or it maybe different for everyone. But say that you are gluten-free for I dunno a couple of months and then you are glutened. You heal and then you are gluten-free for a year, then you get glutened again. The second time that you are glutened do you become more sensitive to it and it does more damage then the first time, or is the damage always the same amount and never gets more severe?

Hope that I worded it right (its kinda late :P )

Amanda NY

#9 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

The longer your body is free from gluten, the more sensitive it is to it when it is exposed to it.

For all those people who are suffering right now with celiac symptoms but don't know it is celiac, they are still basically functioning on a daily basis while consuming gluten, struggling until finally they get the proper diagnosis. Once they get their answer and go gluten free, it is like a breath of fresh air for the body. Six months later, expose the body to some gluten, and it is like a knock out punch in boxing.

I probably am not making any sense whatsoever since it is 2:30 in the morning and I am rocking back and forth in pain right now, but that's the best I can do under the circumstances!!!

Hugs.
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#10 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

Awww I am really sorry that you were up that late......I was up until about 1:00 <_<

You are making sense, I have heard it before I jsut didnt know if it was true or anyone had heard of that.

It is greatly appericated, Hope that you feel better soon :)

Amanda NY

#11 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

The longer your body is free from gluten, the more sensitive it is to it when it is exposed to it.

For all those people who are suffering right now with celiac symptoms but don't know it is celiac, they are still basically functioning on a daily basis while consuming gluten, struggling until finally they get the proper diagnosis. Once they get their answer and go gluten free, it is like a breath of fresh air for the body. Six months later, expose the body to some gluten, and it is like a knock out punch in boxing.

I probably am not making any sense whatsoever since it is 2:30 in the morning and I am rocking back and forth in pain right now, but that's the best I can do under the circumstances!!!

Hugs.
Karen

I agree 100% Karen ~ Wow, you make great sense at 2:30 am!! Hope you are feeling better!!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: