Making Sandwiches

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Donna_*

Guest_Donna_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:49 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this message board altough I've been reading the messages for months. I'm awaiting the blood tests to determine it if I have gluten intolerance/celiac disease but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless of what the results say, after several gluten elimination and challenge trials, I can and will no longer eat gluten again. I've never felt so much better physically, psychologically and emotionally since I went gluten-free. I have more energy, think better and the diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, depression, etc have all but subsided.
I've been doing good for a while but have had painful abdominal cramps, bloating and diarrhea and have been extremely tired for the past few days and can't figure out why. I've been eating tortilla chips which I suppose can be contaminated. Has anyone had any experience with flare-ups due to making sandwhiches or similar exposure to gluten-containing products? Could this be a cause?
Appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks, Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2004 - 05:51 AM

What kind of tortilla chips??? Every time I eat any Frito-Lay chips I get very sick. So I found that Mission Tortilla chips can be tolerated, at least by me. Is anyone else in your household eating gluten, you may be cross contaminated by them leaving crumbs. Shirley

#3 Guest_Donna_*

Guest_Donna_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:57 AM

Thanks Shirley. I've been eating Tostitos Brand chips as well as other generic tortilla chips. I'm still trying to get things in balance so I think I'll try the Mission Tortilla chips. I'm the only one in my house of 5 on a gluten-free diet and that will never change - they all like their gluten-containing foods too much as did I before I realized I was gluten intolerant. I asked my husband if he would try it with me for a while and he quickly and firmly declined. I wonder if I have to go so far as having a separate cupboard, cutting board, pans, etc. like I read in another e-mail. Is that what most gluten-free individuals do? I certainly will if it makes a difference. I can barely study for finals feeling so crappy when I thought I was doing everything right. Ugh, so much to learn. Thanks again for your advise - feel free to offer up any more. Donna

#4 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:50 AM

I use the same dishes as my family, and have not yet had a problem with it, but I do keep my "special" food in their own canisters, on my shelf in the cabinet. I do this mainly so my kids and their friends know which snacks are mine, and which are theirs! It also stops me from accidently grabbing one of theirs, so it works both ways! My canisters are old Tupperware, some pink, and some brown. The family canisters are green, orange, and clear. The color-coding means kids don't even look in mine, so the lids are left on, and the contents remain fresh longer.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#5 Lily

Lily

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:46 AM

All corn chips bother me except for this new one I found. It's called Green Mountan Gringo.......they make a gluten-free salsa too.

Lily

#6 Guest_Donna_*

Guest_Donna_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the input. I like the color-coded canister idea. I mark things in the fridge so the kids and my husband know which items are off limits to them (like margarine to minimize cross-contamination).

As far as making sandwiches or touching other gluten-containing foods, I should be okay as long as I wash my hands after touching them correct? I'm thinking that maybe there's a chance of inhaling some particles that could affect me. Thoughts? :huh:

Concerning the chips, I found Mission Tortilla chips while on vacation but unfortunately I was not able to cook for myself the entire time so I did end up with gluten in my system and paying for it dearly. As a result, I haven't yet determined how I'm tolerating the chips. I'll know soon enough. Once I'm under control I will try Mission and Green Mountain Gringo (assuming I can find them) for tolerance.

Thanks for your help!
Donna

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:59 AM

I think you're OK making sandwiches as long as you thoroughly wash before you handle anything you might eat or before you put your hands near your mouth. Inhaling gluten wouldn't be a problem unless there's flour flying around.

richard

#8 Guest_Donna_*

Guest_Donna_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:49 AM

Thank You!!!

Donna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: