#1 Pipes

Pipes

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hi all,

I've been real sick for several months going to doctor to doctor and being told it's depression causing my symptoms, fatigue, bloated, gas, fuzzy head, weight loss...Finally, I went to a gastro doc who believes it is celiac. Going for biopsy next week. My question has to do with work. For several months I was so sick I could barely function. Having no diagnosis I dragged myself to work. Now my managers are telling me that I am lazy and unproductive and maybe my feeling sick is in my head. I've worked in this company for twenty years and never had any complaints about my work, always compliments. Now these managers are threatening to get rid of me. Can't afford to lose my job. My question is...Is Celiac disease considered a disability? I really need to protect myself at work. Thank you so much for listening.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 minibabe

minibabe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

I dont know if it is......I have had problems with my insurance company paying for doctor vists and some of the random testing. I see a nutritionists and I have to pay out of pocket because my Insurance company does not believe that what I have is really a problem.

I know for a fact that my insurance company does not reconize what I have to be a real mediacal issue.

I wish you the best of luck and if you find anything out let us know, but I would call the your insurance company to see if they reconize it.

Good Luck and I hope that you feel better soon :)

Amanda NY

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

Hi Pipes,

Welcome to the board! I hope you find all your answers here and any questions you might have, feel free to ask ANYTHING! There is no question too stupid to ask, we have all been there done that!

In regards to your question about disability, I am currently on it but I live in Canada and I am covered through my work (I am on long term disability right now). It is the combination of celiac disease and collagenous colitis that has me off since my collagenous colitis has not been able to be brought under control. I basically have severe fecal incontinance. I basically go 20 - 30 times a day and I have at the most 10 second to get to the bathroom once the urge hits..... I basically feel like I am a prisoner in my own home, it is very difficult to go out with this..... Also, it is very nocturnal, keeping me up most of the night.

Here is a link regarding disability that you might find interesting......

http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=12923

Welcome aboard!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#4 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:09 AM

Hi all,

I've been real sick for several months going to doctor to doctor and being told it's depression causing my symptoms, fatigue, bloated, gas, fuzzy head, weight loss...Finally, I went to a gastro doc who believes it is celiac. Going for biopsy next week. My question has to do with work. For several months I was so sick I could barely function. Having no diagnosis I dragged myself to work. Now my managers are telling me that I am lazy and unproductive and maybe my feeling sick is in my head. I've worked in this company for twenty years and never had any complaints about my work, always compliments. Now these managers are threatening to get rid of me. Can't afford to lose my job. My question is...Is Celiac disease considered a disability? I really need to protect myself at work. Thank you so much for listening.

How big is your company? If it has more than 50 people, you should talk to the HR about FMLA and see if there is a way around your illness until you get a proper dx and get healthy again. Unfortunately, Celiac isn't considered and disability because it doesn't affect (supposedly) your ability to do your job. Good luck and keep us posted!! No matter what your biopsy results are, I would highly recommend the gluten-free diet the minute you're done with the procedure. Didn't the GI do a blood panel? Anyhow, I do sincerely hope you are better soon.
Annette
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#5 Guest_katzmeow21_*

Guest_katzmeow21_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:11 PM

Hi Pipes,

Welcome to the board! I hope you find all your answers here and any questions you might have, feel free to ask ANYTHING! There is no question too stupid to ask, we have all been there done that!

In regards to your question about disability, I am currently on it but I live in Canada and I am covered through my work (I am on long term disability right now). It is the combination of celiac disease and collagenous colitis that has me off since my collagenous colitis has not been able to be brought under control. I basically have severe fecal incontinance. I basically go 20 - 30 times a day and I have at the most 10 second to get to the bathroom once the urge hits..... I basically feel like I am a prisoner in my own home, it is very difficult to go out with this..... Also, it is very nocturnal, keeping me up most of the night.

Here is a link regarding disability that you might find interesting......

http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=12923

Welcome aboard!

This is off the subject but I am curious as to whether you have ever tried the Diet from the Book " Breaking the Vicious cycle" by Elaine Gottschall . She was Canadian, had a daughter with severe digestive issues and studied up on this and all digestive issues and created something called the SBD diet. Maybe it could help you.
regards MJ

Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: