Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pediasure And Taxes

5 posts in this topic

I was just wondering. First of all, is Pediasure gluten-free? I think it is. Does anyone know if you can claim Pediasure on your income taxes? It is doctor recommended to help gain wieght for my daughter who has celiac disease. Also, do you know if insurance companies pay for Pediasure, considering it being medically necessary? I know I can call them. Just wanted to know if anyone knows already. Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I'm not sure if it is gluten-free. I'm not sure if you can write it off on your taxes either. However I have a good idea as to go about it.

Have your doctor write a prescription for it and have your local pharmacy "fill" the prescription. Basically they would just run the pediasure through their computer as s prescription and then you pay for it. Then it can be tax free and more likely to be a write-off. I work as a pharmacy technician and we do things like that all the time. Just a thought.

-Jessica :P

:D I'm not sure about the pediasure but there is a form that you can fill out for your taxes so that you can claim anything that you have to buy because of being gluten-free. You can claim the difference between the cost of what you normally eat with what you now have to eat. Such as the difference between a bag of wheat flour and Rice flour. But you have to keep your receipts and you must have documentation from your dr. stating you have been diagnosed as Celiac if you are audited.

Lucy :D

I'm so excited about the script. idea with the Pediasure. It is gluten-free and my three year old loves it. It is very expensive so i called and asked about coupons. They will send them monthly if you call. The prescription is even better! I can't wait to try!! Thanks Nancy

I 'heard' that the celiac deduction is a red flag for the IRS, so make sure that you have your "ducks in a row" not only on those receipts but all of your taxes if you wish to take it. I haven't had the guts to do it yet, because the last thing I feel like dealing with is an IRS audit.