5 replies to this topic

#1 murda

murda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:34 AM

I have been gluten-free for almost 2 years. I am still unsure whether all caramel color is bad. Until now I have avoided pretty much anything containing it because I've heard its a source of hidden gluten.

Can anybody clear me up on this issue? Anything to make my life easier would be great. :rolleyes:

MUrda

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jaimek

jaimek

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:59 AM

I was told by my dietician that caramel coloring is gluten-free as long as it was made in the US. Hope this helps!
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#3 murda

murda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the information. Is the best way to determine if it is made in the US to call the manufacturer or is there a better way? Is most of the caramel color you run across gluten-free from experience?

Thank you so much!
MURDA

#4 MicheleInAS

MicheleInAS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:22 AM

I, too, am glad to hear that caramel color made in the US is gluten-free, as the only book I have said it was forbidden! I was just in a panic today over the caramel color in diet Coke, as I drank one yesterday without thinking. I hope the "natural flavoring" listed on the label is also gluten-free. Guess I better find out. sigh. I was only diagnosed celiac a week ago, and this is all so new to me. Thanks a bunch.

#5 jen-schall

jen-schall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 06:14 PM

coke and pepsi products are all gluten-free. I just call the company any time one of these iffy ingredients pop up, or lots of times, the company's website will include in the FAQ section, a statement about gluten-free-ness. gluten freedom? :)
xo Jen

when I look around, I think this,
this is good enough
and I try to laugh at whatever life brings
because when I look down,
I just miss all the good stuff
and when I look up,
I just trip over things

#6 Mom-Dude

Mom-Dude

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 06:32 PM

Adding my thanks to the list - When I started my new lifestyle last summer I thought I just had to avoid wheat. Wrong! I appreciate all the tips because like some of you mentioned, my sources are often conflicting and I just don't always have time to call/email the companies I have ingredient questions on. Thanks for saving me valuable time and tummy aches!
Lori

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: