Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Caramel Color?

6 posts in this topic

I have been gluten-free for almost 2 years. I am still unsure whether all caramel color is bad. Until now I have avoided pretty much anything containing it because I've heard its a source of hidden gluten.

Can anybody clear me up on this issue? Anything to make my life easier would be great. :rolleyes:

MUrda

Ads by Google:

I was told by my dietician that caramel coloring is gluten-free as long as it was made in the US. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information. Is the best way to determine if it is made in the US to call the manufacturer or is there a better way? Is most of the caramel color you run across gluten-free from experience?

Thank you so much!

MURDA

I, too, am glad to hear that caramel color made in the US is gluten-free, as the only book I have said it was forbidden! I was just in a panic today over the caramel color in diet Coke, as I drank one yesterday without thinking. I hope the "natural flavoring" listed on the label is also gluten-free. Guess I better find out. sigh. I was only diagnosed celiac a week ago, and this is all so new to me. Thanks a bunch.

coke and pepsi products are all gluten-free. I just call the company any time one of these iffy ingredients pop up, or lots of times, the company's website will include in the FAQ section, a statement about gluten-free-ness. gluten freedom? :)

Adding my thanks to the list - When I started my new lifestyle last summer I thought I just had to avoid wheat. Wrong! I appreciate all the tips because like some of you mentioned, my sources are often conflicting and I just don't always have time to call/email the companies I have ingredient questions on. Thanks for saving me valuable time and tummy aches!

Lori