This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yeast Infections

BRCoats

BRCoats Enthusiast

Hi Guys and Gals,

I was diagnosed today as having both a vaginal and intestinal yeast infection. Unfortunately, the chiropractor I went to is claiming that there's only one remedy that TRULY works....and it is not gluten free. :angry: So.....I'm not sure I buy that there's only ONE remedy. I'm wondering if there's any of you that have had this problem, and have succesfully treated it. Please list the supplements, meds, and diet you used to help. I realize that this can be a very aggressive problem, and it certainly is wreaking havoc in my life. So for my chiropractor to tell me that there's nothing they can do for me if I can't take this supplement is sort of freaking me out.

Any help is appreciated!! :(

~Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I loved diflucan. I no longer have yeast issues, but when I did I hated the whole dr route. You can now get many yeast meds including diflucan ON LINE>>>>> :D I've only needed to do this once in forever. But it was awesome not to HAVE to go to a dr. Just google on line pharmacies and diflucan or whatever brand you prefer. It's so easy and gets to you in two days.

MACE Rookie

IS A YEAST INFECTION RELATED TO CELIAC?? I HAVE HAD A FEW LATELY, BUT HAD NOT THOUGHT OF A CONNECTION WITH GLUTEN. I HAVE BEEN USING THE OVER THE COUNTER STUFF FROM THE DRUG STORE.

BRCoats Enthusiast
IS A YEAST INFECTION RELATED TO CELIAC?? I HAVE HAD A FEW LATELY, BUT HAD NOT THOUGHT OF A CONNECTION WITH GLUTEN. I HAVE BEEN USING THE OVER THE COUNTER STUFF FROM THE DRUG STORE.

Mary,

If you have yeast, it doesn't mean you've been ingesting gluten (was that what you were implying). It happens because of a compromised gut flora problem and because of probable overuse of antibiotics. Just thought I'd clear that up. :)

~Brenda

I loved diflucan. I no longer have yeast issues, but when I did I hated the whole dr route. You can now get many yeast meds including diflucan ON LINE>>>>> :D I've only needed to do this once in forever. But it was awesome not to HAVE to go to a dr. Just google on line pharmacies and diflucan or whatever brand you prefer. It's so easy and gets to you in two days.

Thanks! I'll check it out!!

jenvan Collaborator

Brenda-

I went thru a bad bout of those infections a while back--and it was miserable. There can be a connection b/c yeast imbalances and Celiac, but there are also many other causes. I have taken diflucan in the past with success...but that was pre gluten-free. This site lists it as gluten-free, however I would call and verify: Open Original Shared Link Also, the biggest help to me in preventing those infections and getting rid of them was taking acidophilus (with lactob. cultures). It helps keep the good bacteria in ck, which in turn keeps other bacteria and yeast at their appropriate levels. Any time I take an antibiotic or feel an infection coming on I always take it, and I have never had an infection since. Also, just to throw it out there, infections can initiated or caused by tampons, oral sex, irritation... It you have been reoccuring infections, you may want to think about what the cause could be.

MACE Rookie

Jen Thanks for posting the drug list. I had been searching for something like that. Was glad to see that all of my meds are on the list.

sdore Enthusiast

I use to get them bad too before going gluten free. I have been (cross-my-fingers) good ever since. I would also take acidophlis too. I also found out that I have an allergic reaction to detergent and soaps with parfume and dyes. So I wash my clother in all-free and use non-parfume, dye soap. This has helped a lot!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Before I was Dx, I used to get them also. Not terribly often, but when I would get one, it would tend to come back after treatment. I would have to be on about 3 rounds of medication before it would completely go away. In the past 71/2 months gluten-free, I have not had one. Hopefully, this trend will continue!

Packard Newbie

There has to be some other mechanism going on here.

My dog got a yeast infection in his ears and I treated it with a topical oinmnent.

He is neither a celiac nor does he eat any wheat.

This has to be an independent issue.

I don't believe the yeast in foods can survive the cooking cycle. The hot water in my dishwasher is supposed to kill yeast and it is not nearly as hot as baking.

Yeast is a live fungus and is quite useful for many applications. Heat kills it. Occaisonally you will get a loaf of bread that has a awful smell and that would be a case of "wild yeast".

I believe yeast infections are not food related. You need to check with your doctor on that before you go altering your diet.

carriecraig Enthusiast

Uuuggghhh, I've got one right now, and I am on my second round of Diflucan. Before going gluten-free, the Diflucan would work within one week, but that hasn't been my experience this time around. I have also started taking Acidophilus, and am hoping that will also help. Good luck!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

When I started this whole "what's wrong with me" quest, one of the things my Dr. suggested was a GI yeast overgrowth. He put me on Diflucan, one every other day, for 4 weeks. Wow - did I have some "die-off" - but obviously it was working. I also take an Acidophilus supplement twice a day and I take NOW brand Candida Clear (Cleanse maybe?) with dinner. You can google a lot of information (as well as products) and you may want to check out The Yeast Connection by Dr. Crook - his site has a questionaire and lots of info.

While I've been fortunate to not have yeast infections in the other area :rolleyes: , I have heard of two natural remedies: take a bath in tea tree oil - make sure you bathe and push water up into yourself. The other someone told me (and sounds disgusting) is to soak a tampon in yogurt or Acidophilus and insert it. I have not tried either so I can not recommend or discourage - just passing along information.

BRCoats Enthusiast
Brenda-

I went thru a bad bout of those infections a while back--and it was miserable. There can be a connection b/c yeast imbalances and Celiac, but there are also many other causes. I have taken diflucan in the past with success...but that was pre gluten-free. This site lists it as gluten-free, however I would call and verify: Open Original Shared Link Also, the biggest help to me in preventing those infections and getting rid of them was taking acidophilus (with lactob. cultures). It helps keep the good bacteria in ck, which in turn keeps other bacteria and yeast at their appropriate levels. Any time I take an antibiotic or feel an infection coming on I always take it, and I have never had an infection since. Also, just to throw it out there, infections can initiated or caused by tampons, oral sex, irritation... It you have been reoccuring infections, you may want to think about what the cause could be.

Hey jenvan,

I have an appointment to get a second opinion next Tuesday. So we'll see how that goes. I was just wondering what would be the problem with usin tampons (sorry if that displays my ignorance). I do use them, but only for one or two days a month at the most. I have light periods, so I don't need them much. The chiropractor tested my husband for yeast also, but he checked out fine. So I don't think I'm getting anything from him, or visa versa.

As for acidophilus, I have a really bad reaction to it. Almost as bad as getting gluten. Maybe down the road i'll be able to better handle it.

Thanks, jenvan. I appreciate your input.

When I started this whole "what's wrong with me" quest, one of the things my Dr. suggested was a GI yeast overgrowth. He put me on Diflucan, one every other day, for 4 weeks. Wow - did I have some "die-off" - but obviously it was working. I also take an Acidophilus supplement twice a day and I take NOW brand Candida Clear (Cleanse maybe?) with dinner. You can google a lot of information (as well as products) and you may want to check out The Yeast Connection by Dr. Crook - his site has a questionaire and lots of info.

While I've been fortunate to not have yeast infections in the other area :rolleyes: , I have heard of two natural remedies: take a bath in tea tree oil - make sure you bathe and push water up into yourself. The other someone told me (and sounds disgusting) is to soak a tampon in yogurt or Acidophilus and insert it. I have not tried either so I can not recommend or discourage - just passing along information.

I'll definitely check those supplements/books out. I need all the info I can get! :o

Thanks!

~Brenda

tarnalberry Community Regular
I don't believe the yeast in foods can survive the cooking cycle. The hot water in my dishwasher is supposed to kill yeast and it is not nearly as hot as baking.

Yeast is a live fungus and is quite useful for many applications. Heat kills it. Occaisonally you will get a loaf of bread that has a awful smell and that would be a case of "wild yeast".

I believe yeast infections are not food related. You need to check with your doctor on that before you go altering your diet.

The yeast infections that occur in the body are not caused by the same yeast that is used in baking (or brewing). It's a different organism entirely. The most common theory of dietary conditions exacerbating yeast is that of getting too much sugar (or simple carbs that are readily converted to sugar), which puts too much glucose in the blood stream, which provides more than enough food for the yeast in the body to flourish. (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with dietary approaches here, just noting it's not the same organism.)

jenvan Collaborator

Brenda-

What acidophilous did you take? I wonder if your reaction was to the brand or an additive, rather than to the cultures themselves.

Tampons--They can lock in bacteria and provide a breeding ground for yeast etc. to increase. They are also a source of irritation and pull on tissues. They were a source of irriation for me as I got older and I believe at least part of the cause of the infections I had. And that is regardless of how short of long they were used. I think sometimes women use them when they are actually too 'dry' or having too light of periods to do so. Make sense? I stopped using them and have no problems or any irritation or a single infection since. Its worth thinking about I think. I don't think all women can use them. So, in conclusion, I think they were one of the main if not the primary cause of my infections. Antibiotics are also a culprit...but acidophilous has always been enough to prevent those as I take with the meds. Hope that helps explain!

BRCoats Enthusiast
Brenda-

What acidophilous did you take? I wonder if your reaction was to the brand or an additive, rather than to the cultures themselves.

Tampons--They can lock in bacteria and provide a breeding ground for yeast etc. to increase. They are also a source of irritation and pull on tissues. They were a source of irriation for me as I got older and I believe at least part of the cause of the infections I had. And that is regardless of how short of long they were used. I think sometimes women use them when they are actually too 'dry' or having too light of periods to do so. Make sense? I stopped using them and have no problems or any irritation or a single infection since. Its worth thinking about I think. I don't think all women can use them. So, in conclusion, I think they were one of the main if not the primary cause of my infections. Antibiotics are also a culprit...but acidophilous has always been enough to prevent those as I take with the meds. Hope that helps explain!

jenvan,

I thought the same thing about the acidophilus. So I switched to a brand with no additives at all....and I still had a problem with it. So I don't know what it is. I get very anxious and edgy, along with my stomach really burning. ??

I understand what you're saying about the tampons. Are the ones I see in the health food stores any better? They're supposed to be free of any irritants, etc. I can stop using them...but I hate to. I hate pads. :( Funny thing is....I don't itch or have any vaginal irritation at all. But he says I do have an infection. Hmmmmmmmmm................

Thanks for the info. Any other advice or experiences are still welcome. ;)

Felidae Enthusiast

I think a second opinion would be a good idea if you don't have any irritation or itching. Do you have any symptoms such as cottage cheese-like discharge?

gZimmiZ Rookie

EV, What do you mean by "die off" after taking Diflucan?

Thanks! Z

Guest MyKidsMom

Brenda,

I found some really interesting information that may help you and others. I read your post b/c since my pregnancies (which brought my celiac out of remission) I have had some resistant yeast infections.

Check out this website: www.vulvodynia/fag.htm

It covers a lot of information that seems to crossover with problems us celiacs have and I was surprised it mentioned Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, something I have been diagnosed with.

Anyway, it talks about lots of options and I like the answer titled "some damn good alternatives to fungal creams".

Hope this helps...

jenvan Collaborator

Brenda-

The natural tampons are worth a try. Natracare makes natural, un-chemically bleached products. So you have no symptoms? That's strange. How did you get diagnosed? At a routine OB appt ?

StrongerToday Enthusiast
EV, What do you mean by "die off" after taking Diflucan?

Thanks! Z

The Dr. warned me if I did have too much yeast in my GI tract, the Diflucan would make things worse before it got better. Too True! I had the weirdest D the first week or so of taking it. As it's killing off the yeast - there's only one place for it to go :blink: . I'll spare you the details, but I feel pretty confident that it did it's job.

debbiewil Rookie

There are some other alternatives besides tampons. Last time I had a yeast infection, I couldn't use pads either because the chemicals in them aggravated everything, and drove me absolutely crazy with itching. I found glad rags then and that worked really well for me. You might want to check some of their products.

Open Original Shared Link

Debbie

Rusla Enthusiast

I used to have yeast infections constantly before the Hysterectomy. The Gyn told me he figured I was allergic to the yeast in my own body, that was when I was 21. when I had the hysterectomy for the yeast infections stopped but the itching never did. The itching never stopped until I wengt gluten-free.

Forgot to mention, if I get accidently glutened it starts itching all over again.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I used to get them before gluten-free, but thankfully after going gluten-free, haven't had one since.....

Karen

BRCoats Enthusiast
Brenda,

I found some really interesting information that may help you and others. I read your post b/c since my pregnancies (which brought my celiac out of remission) I have had some resistant yeast infections.

Check out this website: www.vulvodynia/fag.htm

It covers a lot of information that seems to crossover with problems us celiacs have and I was surprised it mentioned Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, something I have been diagnosed with.

Anyway, it talks about lots of options and I like the answer titled "some damn good alternatives to fungal creams".

Hope this helps...

Uhmmm.......your celiac was in remission? Can you explain that further? Once celiac, always celiac. Or so I thought.

I have PCOD also. I'll check out the link.

Thanks!

Brenda-

The natural tampons are worth a try. Natracare makes natural, un-chemically bleached products. So you have no symptoms? That's strange. How did you get diagnosed? At a routine OB appt ?

Well, I have irregular periods (is that a symptom?). But no....no itching, irritation, etc. Don't laugh, but I was diagnosed by a chiropractor. :lol: Ever hear of muscle testing? That's how he diagnosed me. It's really complicated. Not sure I could explain it to you. But yeah, that's how he diagnosed both my vaginal AND intestinal yeast infection. :huh:

Thanks for the info and replies! :D

jerseyangel Proficient
Ever hear of muscle testing? That's how he diagnosed me.

I sure have! I saw a Kineisologist 2 years ago while trying to figure out what was wrong with me. He used muscle testing, and was the first person to tell me that I must not eat wheat, oats, barley or rye. He also said the same about eggs, dairy, soy, corn, and coconut. He also made recomendations about suppliments, water, and foods that I should eat regularly. I should have followed his instructions exactly, and continued, but I didn't. :( Last year, just before my Dx, I saw an accupuncturist, who also used muscle testing as a way to make sure the needles were in exactly the right place.

Archived