This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bad Celiac Day..

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

For those who dont pay attention to any other posts I make, I'm currently in college, in just a small/nearly local college(just 30 mins away). Since the beggining of the year, I'd had the priveldge of keeping my gluten-free food inside the staffroom fridge. My teacher was the one who approved of it. This is how its been since August 29th.

well, supper break today, worst school day of my life .. I walk into the very full staffroom to get my food from the fridge (like I have been for the last nearly 6 months). Well, the one lady gets all pissed/huffy asking what I'm doing there, tells me I should keep my food in the fridge with the rest of the students in the lunch room (vulnerable to all, and no freezer). :angry::blink:

By then all 12-14 people are staring at me .. I explained quickly about my diet/disease, she pretty much ignores me, keeps whining, saying that if it was health reasons then it'd be OK to keep my food there. So I grabbed my supper and walked out. :unsure:

Does she actually think I would lie about my diet?? and ok, since when is a disease NOT dealing with health?? :angry:

I'm going to talk to my teacher about it tomorrow. If I start to cry in class with people around I dont really care anymore. Not that I want to give them a reason to whisper about me or make fun of me, but this isnt a joke... :(

*cries*

~lisa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laurelfla Enthusiast

bless your heart! :( i'm so sorry you had to go through that experience. one of the unfortunate side effects of celiac -- dealing with people's ignorance... she could have at least apologized for embarrassing you! i hope things get better. i'll be thinking about you!

Laurel.

happygirl Collaborator

My heart goes out to you. I know you are having a tough time. Not only should you talk to your teacher about it, but your teacher should talk to the other teachers to prevent this from happening again. The mean lady should give you an apology. Sigh. Keep us updated.

Guest BERNESES

Lisa- hang in there. That's horrible- some people are quite mean and at the university level, full of themselves. I speak from experience as I teach and am a graduate student at a university here in the states.

I know you are going through a hard time with your family and now, to have something go wrong with school is just NOT what you needed. ((((((Hugs)))))), Beverly

PS Definitely talk to your teacher- at least you've got one person on your side. It goes a long way sometimes!

MACE Rookie

Get a letter from your doctor. Take it to the head of your school and get the ok for your food to be kept there. Then post a copy of the letter on the door of the so called ice box. I did that once when my one son had a problem that kept him from eating the school lunches. After that no one ever said anything to him for going into the teacher dinning room to get him food out. Then he was only 8 and could in no way stand up to the teacher on his own. Good Luck

CeliaCruz Rookie

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think it's any of this woman's business what your health problems are and there are no additional explanations needed. You were AUTHORIZED by a faculty member to put your lunch in that particular fridge. End of story. If this woman doesn't like it, she can take it up with the teacher who gave you permission. She doesn't need an explanation of Celiac disease. !@#$ that doctor's note. You're not in sixth grade.

Instead of defending yourself, you should have asked her what her problem was. Why does she have a problem with your lunch being stored near her lunch? Why does it offend her that you are breathing the same air as the faculty? Does her religion forbid her to mingle with students? She's the one who should be defending herself. Where's her doctor's note?

A simple, "I was given permission to store my lunch here" should suffice. And make eye contact. She's obviously just a bully and the more you "defend" yourself, the more she'll simply see an opportunity to push you around.

Nantzie Collaborator

Yep, talk to your teacher about it. It sounds like that mean teacher just needs to be told what's going on. People like that are the hardest thing about celiac or gluten sensitivity.

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I went through some of this during college too.......now in grad school i have a bit of an attitude about it and just tell people if they'd like to experience what happens when my food gets contaminated or when i eat gluten containing food then i'll gladly let them come and spend the day with me when it happens

unfortunately, some professors are so caught up in themselves that they think students are lowly......mind you, to any professors out there, all of the ones that i've ever dealt with were awesome....but unfortunately not everyone is that easy to deal with.........it's important not to let people like this get to you, just because they are ignorant about our disease doesn't mean it should bring you down....i've learned to laugh at those people because honestly, they look more ridiculous throwing a twelve year old hissy fit than you do strolling into the teachers lounge and getting your lunch

keep that head up!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
For those who dont pay attention to any other posts I make, I'm currently in college, in just a small/nearly local college(just 30 mins away). Since the beggining of the year, I'd had the priveldge of keeping my gluten-free food inside the staffroom fridge. My teacher was the one who approved of it. This is how its been since August 29th.

well, supper break today, worst school day of my life .. I walk into the very full staffroom to get my food from the fridge (like I have been for the last nearly 6 months). Well, the one lady gets all pissed/huffy asking what I'm doing there, tells me I should keep my food in the fridge with the rest of the students in the lunch room (vulnerable to all, and no freezer). :angry::blink:

By then all 12-14 people are staring at me .. I explained quickly about my diet/disease, she pretty much ignores me, keeps whining, saying that if it was health reasons then it'd be OK to keep my food there. So I grabbed my supper and walked out. :unsure:

Does she actually think I would lie about my diet?? and ok, since when is a disease NOT dealing with health?? :angry:

I'm going to talk to my teacher about it tomorrow. If I start to cry in class with people around I dont really care anymore. Not that I want to give them a reason to whisper about me or make fun of me, but this isnt a joke... :(

*cries*

~lisa~

I am so sorry you were treated like this. I would talk to your teacher and then I would go to your dean about this person. They need a reminder about how to be human. She may have been having a bad day too but she shouldn't have taken it out on you. And bear in mind how badly they now think of this b---h even if they were to stunned to say anything in your defense. I hope this gets resolved quickly for you, perhaps a note or something you could show if it happens again might help. Best Wishes

num1habsfan Rising Star

I talked to my teacher about it before I left school today.

She asked me which lady at the front desk it was, and once she guessed at the name, I remembered thats what the lady's name was.

She told me she'll talk to that rude lady yesterday.

She told me that if it ever happens again, come and find her immediately.

So we'll see if I have that problem anymore after that..

~lisa~

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Some professors can be rude. She was probably just having a bad day and took it out on you. I'm sorry that you were treated that way.

Nantzie Collaborator

How wonderful to have a teacher who will stand up for you like that! I'm glad you were able to talk to her about it.

Nancy

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think it's any of this woman's business what your health problems are and there are no additional explanations needed. You were AUTHORIZED by a faculty member to put your lunch in that particular fridge. End of story. If this woman doesn't like it, she can take it up with the teacher who gave you permission. She doesn't need an explanation of Celiac disease. !@#$ that doctor's note. You're not in sixth grade.

Instead of defending yourself, you should have asked her what her problem was. Why does she have a problem with your lunch being stored near her lunch? Why does it offend her that you are breathing the same air as the faculty? Does her religion forbid her to mingle with students? She's the one who should be defending herself. Where's her doctor's note?

A simple, "I was given permission to store my lunch here" should suffice. And make eye contact. She's obviously just a bully and the more you "defend" yourself, the more she'll simply see an opportunity to push you around.

Well put!!!Don't let her intimidate you because she's a teacher and you're a student. You were give permission to put your food in there by one of her fellow staff members. End of story.

jerseyangel Proficient

Glad you spoke with the teacher who gave permission in the first place. It's good that you have someone you can go to at school who understands and will stand up for you. Hope you're feeling better :)

Becky6 Enthusiast

That is awful!!!!! I am so glad that teacher sticks up for you! Good luck!

Archived