This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Results Of Late Or No Treatment

Jala

Jala Newbie

I am 38 and just found out I have a wheat intolerance. I have not been tested for Celiac. I can see the progression of my symptoms from aversion to food, to buckling over cramping, to facial and eye swelling, to year long rounds of diarrhea, to brain fog, to chronic fatigue and more. All my symptoms immediately alleviated when I stopped eating gluten. I no longer have to read the same piece of paper 5 times, and my severe IBS is gone. I feel like a million bucks.

I know this is a hereditary disease and my father died of multiple sclerosis by age 43. I have also read about the links between celiac and MS. Does anyone know what happens if you are not treated? In particular, has anyone actually experienced or seen a link to MS?

FYI, my 11 year old nephew has already been in the emergency room twice for severe abdominal cramping and no detectable cause.

Thanks, Jala.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

I don't know about the link to MS, but the untreated celiac dies an early, painful death.

Guest jhmom

Hi Jala, first I would like to say, I am glad you are feeling better after going Wheat Free. I also sorry to hear of your loss, 43 is very young to pass away.

I found these and wanted to share them with you...

MS and Celiac Disease

Here is also another link Diseases that may be linked to Celiac

You take care of yourself and hang in there! God Bless you and your family.

Karina Explorer

Interesting. Last year I had an MRI of the brain to check for MS as I had many MS symtoms. It was negative. I hadn't a clue as to what celiac disease was or what it involved and now I am diagnosed. I have had symtpoms a long time--probably all my life really. I hope I don't have something new to worry about now. I am gluten-free now, but only for two days so far. I know the more I learn about this disease the more motivated I am to do what I need to do. My advice is to find out for sure if you have it, or just go all the way gluten-free since you know you can't have wheat now anyway. Sorry I just checked and you are gluten-free--good :lol:

I am learning not to get carried away with all the possibilities of this disease because if I did I would be scared all the time...we have to live our lives and take care of our bodies. I am so sorry about your father, and that you have to deal with that in your family medical history, but worry can be damaging too......

Jala Newbie

Many thanks for the input. I worry about those who don't find out in time. Hope others can benefit from your info as well. Jala.

LUAP Newbie

THANK YOU STACIE FOR THE LINKS, IT ANSWERS SOME OF MY QUESTIONS ;)

Archived