20 replies to this topic

#1 melisadki

melisadki

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:27 PM

Anyone have this as a symptom. I am back to square one with the diet but I notice when I wake up my hand...left one mostly swells so bad, it hurts and i cant move it. It takes about 10min to shake it so I can even squeeze it. Maybe something totally unrelated but I was just curious.

Thanks
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant by Enterolab~Positve Gliadian Iga
gluten-free since 11/01/2005
Negative Blood Work 10/25/2005

Also:

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Insulin Resistance
Infertility
Miscarriage
Hypothyroid
Bipolar

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 zakismom

zakismom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

I had a similar thing with my hands before I was diagnosed. It was the last straw really. When I woke in the morning my hands would be swollen and cramped into a wierd postion. My husband would try to massage them back to shape but it didn't really help. I tried the chiropractor at that point which felt wonderful but didn't really help either. I was diagnosed a few weeks later and my hands improved within a week of being gluten free.
diagnosed 1/04 endoscopy; gluten-free ever since!

#3 melisadki

melisadki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

OMG........thank you so much for the reply. DH swore I was sleeping on my hands but I said no because I lay with a pillow under my arm so it is above me..duh. This has got to be it then. Since I started back on gluten I have felt like sh*t and this is one of the many things to hit me again. Also the nerve in my leg goes numb....my doc said it was meralgia parasthethica (sp?) or something. I disagree though because i have lost weight it didnt go away. Then I went gluten-free and I noticed it didnt flare up as much but it didnt completly go away. Now it is back with a vengeance again. It must be similar to what is happening to my hand in the morning. Gluten attacks my nerves I guess?

Also:

Insulin Resistance
Infertility
Miscarriage
Hypothyroid
Bipolar

#4 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

I also have that, only in the right. It is especially tender around the thumb joint, even to touch it or push the thumb in even the slightest sends a knife like jab right through the hand up the arm..... It comes and goes for me....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#5 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

My hands would swell so bad that I could not bend my fingers or pick up the telephone. I had to use both hands to pick up the phone. It hadn't occured to me, until it was mentioned, but my hands have rarely swelled up in the morning since being gluten-free. I will wait and see what happens when the weather gets really cold.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#6 melisadki

melisadki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

That is exactly how mine feel like I cant pick anything up......like they are puffy, sore, and frozen. I have to shake it off for about 10 minutes just to get feeling back in them. Mine did improve going gluten-free and then silly me went back to gluten.. :( Working on getting back on track.

Also:

Insulin Resistance
Infertility
Miscarriage
Hypothyroid
Bipolar

#7 Silver_naki

Silver_naki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:46 AM

Oh... this is an interesting Post here!!! HANDS SWELLING UP? {gee,... & I only **thought** it happened to ME!!!} :P

Let me tell you a story here:

When I was in Junior High School, my Mom would always make us eat those "cheap" cereals in the mornings, like the "Wheaties" and most especially the "Shredded-Wheat!" At the time, I never thought much about it, but as I would be walking to School after breakfast, (especially after consuming the "Shredded-Wheat" cereal) my hands (both of them) would swell up like "balloons," mostly in the joints, and they would get so "fat, puffy, & sore," that I could NOT BEND THEM! It was like I was "crippled!"

To further the "misery," my "puffy" joints & fingers would "burn like fire," and within a few hours time, the swelling would start to go down. (always after I got to School!) Once the swelling would start to go out of my fingers, they would burn, just as if I had gotten "frost-bitten" and like when you try to thaw your hands out & warm them up.... (you all know the feeling!) After the swelling subsided, they would "itch" like crazy too. This was incredibly PAINFUL~

Topping it all off, not only would my HANDS swell up, but I would start to get this "rash" on the back of my legs, in which "itched" & "burned" like fire as well. This all occurred at the same time, after eating "Shredded Wheat" cereal!!! At the time, I never told anybody about this, because I just thought it was something WEIRD that was happening to my body, or that I got too "cold" while walking to School in the early mornings! This lasted for quite a few years, at a very severe stage too.... I had no clue what was happening, & figured I'd just "grow out of it."

It wasn't until I went "gluten-free," that all of these memories came back to me, and it {duh.} "dawned on me," that I was highly intolerant to WHEAT PRODUCTS!!!!!!! ---- > Yikes!! The "Shredded-Wheat Cereal!" I was actually having a severe allergic reaction to the wheat at the time!

I still suffer with the swelling of the "fingers" and the hands & also the "puffiness" in my ANKLES when I get "glutened." Of course, through the years, it's not been as bad as it was when I was a kid! I had never heard of this happening before, (except for to ME,) so I was very glad somebody else has Posted in regards to this!!! Like I say, I think what this is, ... is an "alergic reaction" of some sort, and of course, everybody is different, in what takes place in thier bodies & all.

When I get "glutened," the first place it attacks me, is on the "palms" of my hands, and I start itching & scratching like crazy, and it will spread to my fingers, and all the way throughout my body, on down to my toes...... this includes not only the itching, but the swelling as well~

I couldn't resiste sharing this Story with all of you, because I honestly thought I was the only one that suffered with the "swelling of the Hands!" I'm so glad you all have Posted. :rolleyes:
~Silver_naki~

"If One is to Live...... One must do so with Living." - The Great Apache Chief, Geronimo

#8 jnifred

jnifred

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:05 AM

that was my first symptom 10+ years ago when I realized I had some auto immune thing going on. I was diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis back then.

I couldn't grasp a jar/bottle, could barely open the doors and had trouble pulling on my clothes in the AM. I also had a lot of other joint pain, felt like a 90 year old getting out of bed every morning when I was in my late 20's. Pretty much sucked. A HOT shower first thing in the morning and a lot of movement would get me loosened up so I could make it through the day.

I would definetly see your doc about it. It is no fun dealing with that.

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:11 AM

Wow--this affects a lot of us! I woke up with puffy hands more often than not before my Dx. The last 2 years or so, the left one would be worse and the thumb joint on that hand would be red, swollen and very painful. That would not go away with the hot shower and movement--it would last several days.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 jnifred

jnifred

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:16 AM

Yep, my right thumb was completely useless for 5-6 years. It was always swollen and never went away. Even now, all the swelling is gone, but it is more stiff than the left thumb and I can not bend it as far. My hands flare up in the heat/humidity. Cold weather I do fine in, but when it gets hot and humid, its not good for me!! So I do my best to not get sweaty, great excuse!!!

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:22 AM

Yea--come to think of it, mine are worse in the hot months. In general, I don't feel as well in hot weather as I do when it's cooler.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:39 AM

They tried to convince me that I had DeQuervain's Syndrome, but I knew it was celiac realted......

Karen
Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#13 debbiewil

debbiewil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:43 AM

Yep.
Usually the left is worse, but I'll get some in my right - also sometimes the arm or my legs as well.
Debbie

#14 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:57 AM

I also sometimes get extreme pain in my left elbow. When I go to lean on it for anything, it absolutely collapses and it's so painful it feels like it is going to break. What's weirder is that my bone density test indicated my bones are strong.....

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#15 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:54 AM

My hands and ankles have been swollen for years. My hands would be swollen in the morning, and my ankles would swell terribly over the course of the day.

With the gluten free diet, my ankles are never swollen any more (I hope that they won't in the summer either, I can't tolerate heat and humidity at all). And my hands are rarely swollen and painful any more. Today they are, and I'm afraid I might be intolerant to pork (I ate pork chops for breakfast, and it shouldn't have been the veggies I had with them, even though it's possible). One of my brothers is very intolerant to pork, and will get severe body aches if he eats any.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: