This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Celiac Gender Specific?

chuikov

chuikov Newbie

I had high hopes when I found this MB. They were quickly dashed.

My first post here was a reasonable question that got no answer.

In the meantime, I've read the most ridiculous hypochondriac crap!

This MB is doing Harm to any understanding of people who actually have celiac disease.

It's revolting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

WHAT????????

Open Original Shared Link

what do you mean your first post got no response? here it is AND it looks like you even replied to the responses...

jenvan Collaborator

Whoa there Tiger...maybe you should do a little more explaining before you start going off on people ! What exactly are you talking about? If you care enough to complain than you should care enough to site examples and give appropriate feedback to improve the site. Those who give poor arguments or accuse with no evidence are rarely taken seriously. Would like more information...

CeliaCruz Rookie

And what the frig does any of this have to do with gender specificity?

I mean besides the obvious fact that someone in this thread needs to take a Midol....

jkmunchkin Rising Star
And what the frig does any of this have to do with gender specificity?

I mean besides the obvious fact that someone in this thread needs to take a Midol....

LOL!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

I answered your post, as well as several others. I take offense to the word "hypocondriac". We discuss our symptoms and concerns and try to help when we can. I reread the thread in question--and I also ask--what was it that prompted your comments?

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Wow guys, I do believe we have a troll!!! Pesky, aren't they......

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Ok, so is it just me, or has this been a WEIRD 24-ish hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I believe there was a full moon recently, which would explain many things.....

Karen

happygirl Collaborator

good call :P

IronedOut Apprentice

Nobody replied to my post either!! But then I only posted it two mintues ago.

That was joke. I love this board. Everyone has been helpful and kind.

mommida Enthusiast

Someone answered that post in 11 minutes, and yes the original poster did have a later response.

Sorry the moon cycle does seem to affect me.

Nantzie Collaborator

A Theory --

Since this user's other post was just a normal, run-of-the-mill, new person question, with normal responses and follow-ups by the original poster, it makes me wonder if this message was posted not by a disgruntled user, but by a user's arrogant child, or roommate, or spouse, or whatever. The tone of the first message just doesn't match the tone of this message.

Hmm...

Nancy

elonwy Enthusiast

Or they got glutened and the evil gluten persona took over. I'm a different person when I'm "on" gluten, and it ain't pretty.

Elonwy

dlp252 Apprentice
A Theory --

Since this user's other post was just a normal, run-of-the-mill, new person question, with normal responses and follow-ups by the original poster, it makes me wonder if this message was posted not by a disgruntled user, but by a user's arrogant child, or roommate, or spouse, or whatever. The tone of the first message just doesn't match the tone of this message.

Yep, I wondered about this myself...

carriecraig Enthusiast

I was the first to reply... What a jerk. And to answer your question, the majority of those with Celiac are women.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Or they got glutened and the evil gluten persona took over. I'm a different person when I'm "on" gluten, and it ain't pretty.

Elonwy

LOL...thats what I was thinking too. Either that or they have an evil twin...i.e. split personalities. I'm beginning to think *anything* can happen here. :o

jerseyangel Proficient

Makes sense to me.

Nantzie Collaborator

Good point Elonwy! I can get really emotional and angry and nobody-loves-me when I get glutened too. Maybe it is a reaction of some kind.

AND, on doing research into the DQ1 0602 gene, I found that they're doing some research into that being a link to schizophrenia (which my favorite grandmother had), so she may be 0602 and having some pretty intense problems.

Nancy

VydorScope Proficient
And to answer your question, the majority of those with Celiac are women.

Really? Funny out there in the real world I know twice as many men with celiac disease as woman...

Really? Funny out there in the real world I know twice as many men with celiac disease as woman...

Perhaps you just get exposed to more men than women in your daily lifestyle. i.e. your buddies bonding over a football game, buddies at work, etc. etc.

Guest nini

I think what it is, is more women GET DIAGNOSED than men, simply because well, most men I know treat going to the Dr. like pulling teeth, they will only go if they think they are dying! Those of you men that have gone and gotten dx'ed I'm not trying to generalize, just an observation based on the men I know! (my dad, husband, stepfather, boss, husband's best friend)

Elonwy

Boy, do I hear ya! Can you spell I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E H-U-L-K ???

That's me......

I think what it is, is more women GET DIAGNOSED than men, simply because well, most men I know treat going to the Dr. like pulling teeth, they will only go if they think they are dying! Those of you men that have gone and gotten dx'ed I'm not trying to generalize, just an observation based on the men I know! (my dad, husband, stepfather, boss, husband's best friend)

You have a very good point. Do you know that from the time that Terry and I started dating (1988) to this point in our marriage (13 years married now), he has never once gone to a family doctor? In fact, when I first met Terry, he had over 9 years perfect attendance record at work.... (Hah! I changed that pretty quickly! Two weeks after getting married, he was in the hospital with a MAJOR kidney stone attack!!!!) But the only time he has ever gone to see a doctor is when he was wheeled in to the hospital on a gurney!!

Karen

Ursa Major Collaborator

I agree that more women than men get diagnosed because many guys either think they have to 'tough it out', or simply won't go see a doctor.

I am pretty sure that propably four out of my six brothers are celiacs, too (and the other two have complaints that aren't so obvious, like one of them will put on weight just by LOOKING at something starchy, it seems, and is constantly dieting). One is willing to get tested and actually replied to me when I e-mailed them the info and suggested they all get tested. My sister is agreeing, but can't be bothered right now, even though she is constantly sick and has terrible symptoms (she says she is under enough stress right now, in the middle of a divorce etc., which I can understand in a way).

My older brother has always had gastro problems, too, and my sister-in-law says that she is sure he can't tolerate gluten. But he told her that he has no intentions of giving up his favourite foods, and that's that. I sure hope that he won't die of cancer like both my parents. For somebody with a mind as brilliant as his, he is sure being stupid (and of course, now that I understand the risks, I am worried about the whole bunch of them)!

chrissy Collaborator

i thought most autoimmune diseases were more common in women, but i guess that could go back to the men won't go to the doctor thing.

christine

Archived