15 replies to this topic

#1 gointribal

gointribal

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

I am new to Celiac so I have weird things happening, but I was wondering if any one else was too?! If I eat gluten I feel wicked sick, get gas, bloated, my vision is blured, I feel like I am going to throw up but I still am hungry! I don't know what it is or if its just me, but does anyone else have this too?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MACE

MACE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:38 AM

I GET ALOT OF WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, BUT FOR ME I THINK IF I GET SOME GLUTEN IT SETS OFF SOME KIND OF CRAVING WHERE I WANT MORE AND MORE TO EAT. IF I STAY WITHOUT GLUTEN I DO NOT SEEM TO GET HUNGERY MUCH AT ALL, IN FACT I HAVE TO REMIND MYSELF TO EAT. BEFORE GOING GLETEN FREE I WAS ALWAYS HUNGERY. THEN I WAS EATING ALOT OF PASTA ETC. AND COULD NEVER GET ENOUGH TO EAT. THAT IS ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I NOTICED WAS THAT I WAS NOT SO HUNGERY AFTER GETTING OFF OF THAT STUFF.

sorry about the caps, forgot i had them on and do not want to retype it all.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

Yes--it dosen't seem to make any sense, but even if I am sick from a gluten reaction, I still get hungry and also very thirsty. I think it seems strange, because we tend to equate the upset stomach, D and the rest of the symptoms as an illness--as the flu would be. The gluten reaction is, as we know, an autoimmune reaction--not a virus or a bacteria--so maybe that's why it dosen't affect our appetites the way we expect. I don't know--just my thoughts :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 CeliaCruz

CeliaCruz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

Makes perfect sense to me. When your immune system senses that gluten is in your system, it reacts as if being poisoned and clears everything (even the non-glutenous stuff) out of your digestive system really fast. That's what the diarrhea is. Subsequently, there's no food in your digestive system and so a signal is sent that new food is needed and that's where the hunger pangs and cravings come from. Yeah, you'd think that after this really nasty painful experience you'd hardly want anything else to eat, but actually you need some food in you to replace the stuff you just "lost".

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:48 AM

Yea--that's why the hunger almost feels urgent--like "I need to eat now", rather than, "mmm, I could eat something....."
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

I get the same thing with Gluten. I want to keep eating even though it feels terrible. ACK! Its aweful. I just gave myself chills thinking about it.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#7 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

I am new to Celiac so I have weird things happening, but I was wondering if any one else was too?! If I eat gluten I feel wicked sick, get gas, bloated, my vision is blured, I feel like I am going to throw up but I still am hungry! I don't know what it is or if its just me, but does anyone else have this too?

Yes, I also feel like that after I accidentally eat gluten. I'm feeling that way right now actually, after getting glutened earlier in the week.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#8 CeliaCruz

CeliaCruz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:07 PM

I get the same thing with Gluten. I want to keep eating even though it feels terrible. ACK! Its aweful. I just gave myself chills thinking about it.

Oh yeah! Back when I thought I only had a wheat allergy I'd cheat from time to time. If I was good and abstained from wheat altogether, it wasn't that hard to stay away. But if I ate something with wheat in it, I'd crave more of the same for at least a few days later. It's like what they say happens to a sober alcoholic if he has a single drink -- it's only a matter of time before he goes on a bender!

#9 purpleJennie

purpleJennie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hello............I'm new to this forum and look forward to learning more about this illness and how everyone's coping.

I've just been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, but don't experience the most common symptoms. I have no stomach/bowel problems. I do have a history of depression, endometriosus, osteoarthritis, etc..... My dilemna is the fact that I don't feel any different when not eating gluten. It's difficult for me to abide by this diet when I don't get any instance "consequences". I hope I'm explaing myself...I'm so confused!! I'm hungry a lot, am sticking to the diet, and have gained 4 lbs.!! What the heck! :o
Any suggestions/thought are appreciated.

#10 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

Dunno whats wrong with me but when I'm glutened I'm not hungry at all...I dont want to eat anything for the first couple days and THEN all of a sudden I'm starving and cant get enough. Initially though...those first days.....the thought of eating scares me. :blink:

purpleJennie, welcome to the board!

I don't get much of the classic symptoms either so you're not alone there. How long have you been on the diet? If you've only just started you may notice changes that you didn't realize were related to gluten.
Rachel

#11 purpleJennie

purpleJennie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:21 PM

Dunno whats wrong with me but when I'm glutened I'm not hungry at all...I dont want to eat anything for the first couple days and THEN all of a sudden I'm starving and cant get enough. Initially though...those first days.....the thought of eating scares me. :blink:
purpleJennie, welcome to the board!

I don't get much of the classic symptoms either so you're not alone there. How long have you been on the diet? If you've only just started you may notice changes that you didn't realize were related to gluten.

Thanks for the reply...............I've been on this diet for about 10 days and because I don't have immediate consequences, i.e., gastric stuff, etc., I'm having a difficult time rationalizing this diet. I went to a gluten free store today and purchased a bunch of stuff. Everything is so darned expensive! Yikes :unsure:

I'm not feeling much different than I did when I was queen of fiber, but I have been sleeping much better..........

I saw on your info that you were diagnosed through Entero Labs.....I was too!!!

#12 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:06 AM

I get that too. I will get SOOO hungry, completely famished, and then if I eat anything I feel sick right away. It's very odd.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#13 carriecraig

carriecraig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

Before I was diagnosed, I was so hungry all of the time, even though I was eating at least 6 small meals a day. I was eating more then my husband who is almost 2x my weight. When eating gluten, your body isn't absorbing an nutirents, so it craves more food to try and compensate.

When i get glutened now, I am really hungry for about a week after it happens.
Carrie
Blood test May 25, 2005
Positive diagnosis through Endoscopy June 13, 2005
gluten-free since then...

#14 rache

rache

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:45 PM

i was glutened over the weekend and i think ive been more hungry now that i feel sick than when im gluten free! its strange how that works.
IBS - 11/2000
Celiac - 4/2005

#15 sonear

sonear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

I have felt the same and wonder if the hunger is due to the nutritional deficiencies that come with celiac. I am totally gluten-free for 6 months but still struggling with regaining my health. Sometimes I feel like I am starving but nothing sounds good. I wander the kitchen in a kind of tortured trance before sending myself off to bed. I guess this is why some celiacs gain weight rather than lose it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: