This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

celiac disease And Other Food Intolerances?

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

Hi Guys, I'm starting to think many other foods do not sit well with me, I bought soy milk [DF] today and put some in my coffee, half way through my belly was going crazy, noise,bloat, cramping. it seems to happen if I have dairy too.

the longer I'm Gluten free, the more other things seem to bother me. its really making me mad, It's like now what else CAN'T I eat :angry:

is the the norm?

are there blood tests for dairy/soy/corn? I've been eating lots of corn nacho chips because its a safe food.

thanks

Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Everyone is different and has different reactions. Corn can be hard to process. Did you check your soy milk for gluten - there *are* brands that contain gluten. You might also have trouble with soy. I drink almond milk. I would suggest taking your diet down to a few basics (rice, meat, simple veggies) for a week or so. Slowly add back in one thing at a time - make sure that you're only adding one new thing (i.e. corn chips) every few days so that you can track your reactions. Keep a food log! You might want to google "elimination diet" for more info. Do you have a dietitican or nutritionist you could work with?

ebrbetty Rising Star

the soy milk is gluten-free. I just can't figure out whats bothering me, because sometimes my symptoms don't start till the next day so I don't know if its what I ate today or yesterday, and something simple thats hasn't bothered me seems to cause trouble out of the blue. this is so frustrating.

I really need to get tested for soy/dairy/corn, but I don't think my insurance will cover it and I can't afford to pay for it...what type of tests do I need??

lonewolf Collaborator

Rice and almond milks are good replacements for dairy - why not just try one of those and see how you feel? Soy is horrible for me. I found out on my own, like you, by drinking soy milk and having a reaction. I was tested later and it just confirmed what I had already figured out.

Liz

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks liz, I'll try rice milk, can it be used in coffee and for baking/cooking?

I hope its not soy, but it seems more and more stuff is bothering me

sabrinajanae Newbie
thanks liz, I'll try rice milk, can it be used in coffee and for baking/cooking?

have you tried the lactaid brand milk? I think I may be sensitive to lactose (at least some forms) andI drink the lactaid brand... i put in cereal.. etc..

anyone else use that?

good luck!! I know the feeling in your gut you are talking about and it is not fun!!

sabrina

ebrbetty Rising Star

yes, thats what I use in my coffee in the morning.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Claire Collaborator
the soy milk is gluten-free. I just can't figure out whats bothering me, because sometimes my symptoms don't start till the next day so I don't know if its what I ate today or yesterday, and something simple thats hasn't bothered me seems to cause trouble out of the blue. this is so frustrating.

I really need to get tested for soy/dairy/corn, but I don't think my insurance will cover it and I can't afford to pay for it...what type of tests do I need??

This could be a classic description of a Delayed Food Reaction - not an allergy per se anymore than celiac is an allergy. Food particles are getting through the intestinal wall and into the blood stream where the immune system will get to them - in a few hours, even a few days. Why these show up when you go gluten free hasn't been explained as far as I know. Certainly the sensitivity was there before. I like to say that the immune system was so reactive to gluten that it was too busy to bother so much with those other things but once gluten was gone what else to do but attack the other intruders. Seriously, celiacs can be so sick that they couldn't possibly separate the symptoms of one 'reaction' from another. With gluten gone, the others become more obvious.

Few people with an autoimmune disorder have only one. Food intolerances seem to be common among most people with any kind of an autoimmune problem.

York Labs, Immuno Labs, Enterolabs - all test for Food Intolerances. Claire

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Really the best way to test for these foods is to eliminate them from your diet, then add back one thing at at a time and watch for reactions. It also may be that you can tolerate some corn or soy - but not a lot of it. I do have soy, but try to avoid it if I can. Also - some days seem to be different for me... I used to eat a lot of apples, suddenly they seem to be going straight thru me. So now I'm on an apple break, and will try them again in a week or so.

You can cook and bake with the other kinds of milk. I use the almond milk in mashed potatoes - and no one would know, except they are missing all that buttery good taste :( since I still haven't re-introduced butter yet. I accidently bought Rice Dream which does not have gluten in the ingredients, but when I got it home I read the whole label and it seems they use barley in the processing. Oh well, something learned anyway.

Good luck!

marciab Enthusiast

Betty

I could be the coffee too. I had to eliminate it because it is too acidic. Tea and chocolate are out for now too. I have always been sensitive to coffee, but didn't have to drop it until this past year. TAlk about heartburn and reflux. good luck marcia

AmandaD Community Regular

BETTY - Be careful of some types of Rice milk and Soy milk...for instance, Rice Dream is not gluten free - it is processed with barley. I had my first gluten reaction to it two weeks ago (i just grabbed it and thought since it was rice it was okay).

AmandaD

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

SOY is a major NO NO!!! Gluten & dairy free for 4 years suddenly I have developed, a huge problem after my thyroid problem (a year ago) with SOY (legume), NUTs (nut milk too), NIGHT SHADE VEGGIES, CORN and other types of food.

It slowly creaped up on me in a 4-year span. Why?

Why are other foods toxic to us?

jerseyangel Proficient

Ms. SS--I am having some of the same issues as you with other food intolerances. There are others here that can explain it much better than I can, but the way I understand it is--when we have a leaky gut caused by the damage done by years of gluten, things that we eat and should stay within the digestive tract leak out, and then they are "attacked" by the immune system that mistakes them for a foreign invader.

I would also like to tell you that I read in your blog about your Aunt and all that she had to go through in her life. How lucky she was, though, to have you to be her advocate. I'm sorry for your loss and all that you went through. I'm sure you still miss her a lot.

lonewolf Collaborator

I use rice milk (not Rice Dream, like others have said) in pancakes, muffins, waffles, etc. I've done it for almost 10 years and it works great.

Liz

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

jerseyangel -- thank you for the kind words, you have no idea how comforting your words are. Thank you, you are a good soul! And thans for the post about our bodies attacking our self.

I'm still seaching for answers about Auntie's tragic life, the feeding tube and celiac disease. I am going to cause a big fuss with the doc's, hospital and lab. Open Original Shared Link. They are not answering my certified letters. If I have to make them appear in court I will...

How can we stop or slow down our bodies from all the other food intolerances? I can't eat very much anymore...

I also did the soy milk, rice cakes and blue corn chip. I lived on them and can tuna though out all the hurricanes. I think it is what caused the thyroid problem to get worse.

jerseyangel Proficient
How can we stop or slow down our bodies from all the other food intolerances? I can't eat very much anymore...

I wish I knew! Like I said, I'm having a lot of problems in this area. I have read that we should completely avoid the foods that we're intolerant to for 6 months to a year and try them again. It gets so confusing sometimes--best of luck in getting to the bottom of it :)

sspitzer5 Apprentice

Are the food intolerance tests reliable? I really need to have this done. Anyone have luck with specific labs?

Thanks!

Susan

Claire Collaborator

There is definitely conflicting opinions on this forum - as well as elsewhere - about these tests.

I think I am open minded so while I endorse the tests based on personal experience I do not fail to alert a would be client that there is a degree of false positives that have to be considered. York Labs claims to be doing a good job at eliminating the false positives but if you read much on this forum you will find a lot of negatives about York - regarding response time etc.

I have this test done three times - with years between the tests. I knew right off when they were right - just from my experience with the foods identified. The ones that I find doubtful I put to a challenge - eliminated the food and reintroduced it after about two weeks. This turned up the false positives. There were a few but not a lot. In each of my test over thirty foods were identified as reactive. Of this thirty five were false positive, Not too bad.

Those who are opposed to the tests say that you can just do the elimination diet from the start and skip the testing. Maybe that is fine if there are just a few foods but when you have become highly reactive you don't have a clue what may now be causing reaction that wasn't doing so in the past. This happens to people with many intolerances. They eat a lot of something to make up for what they can't eat and before long that food becomes a reactive. For myself, I find that I need a test every few years to identify new culprits. Once they give me a list to work on I can challenge from that. This is easier and faster than looking at EVERYTHING I eat and putting everything to the test.

I hope I am making this clear. I do believe they get it all right - they just get a few false positives - and that isn't hard to deal with.

I use IMMUNO LABS Open Original Shared Link

Good luck. Claire

Packard Newbie
Hi Guys, I'm starting to think many other foods do not sit well with me, I bought soy milk [DF] today and put some in my coffee, half way through my belly was going crazy, noise,bloat, cramping. it seems to happen if I have dairy too.

the longer I'm Gluten free, the more other things seem to bother me. its really making me mad, It's like now what else CAN'T I eat :angry:

is the the norm?

are there blood tests for dairy/soy/corn? I've been eating lots of corn nacho chips because its a safe food.

thanks

Betty

Have you tried Lactaid? Or have you used Lactaid tablets? The tablets will allow many people to consume dairy.

Lactose intolerance is not necessarily Celiac related. I'd give it a try. Note: Lactaid milk has a longer shelf life than regular milk.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I did go ahead and pick up the 365 rice milk, I was surprised how good it is. I did try in in my kava [coffee for gerd] coffee, it was so-so.

I'm seeing my Dr on Friday, hoping I can convince him to test me for soy,milk, eggs and corn. I ate a banana this afternoon and now my belly aches..enough already!

SS..I read about your Aunt, so very sorry for what you went through..I could not read more, it was just too difficult for me, I went through a tough time loosing my sister to brain cancer and the horrible memories of the treatment at the hospital. she was very lucky to have you as her angel.

claire, thanks for the post...I'm at a loss and have no clue as to what else is causing the pain and bloating, I just can't pin it down, one day I think its soy, the next milk or lactose eerrr

is it possible to get a RAST or ELISA {sp} test from my Dr and have my insurance cover it or do I need an independent lab like many of you have used?

thanks, Betty

Archived