3 replies to this topic

#1 emmeeann

emmeeann

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:17 PM

Havent been on the gluten-free diet that long-but have noticed an extreme change. it used to be whenever i ate; i felt sick. i have dropped from 160 to 130 in a short amount of time. does anyone know when and if i can put weight on? any ideas how to do this? i take vitamins and glutamine. just wanting to add a little weight. also, i am constantly hungry on gluten-free diet. sometimes wake up in the morning literally starving? anyone know why? i have only had two incidents in the past month where i have had a "belly blowout" or celiac bowel episode and that was when i ate out at a fish restaurant. Was grilled cod supposedly in lemon butter only-obviously not.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:20 AM

Whole brown rice is the perfect food for people with celiac disease. It digests slowly, so you avoid a hypoglycemic reaction, it fills you up, so you avoid feeling hungry, and it is nutritious. Combine it with some fresh meat, and vegetables and you have a perfect meal. Just look at the billions of people who live on these types of foods, and compare them to the people who live on wheat.

One bit of advice. Do not use instant rice. I have had bad reactions to it, and suspect there is gluten in it. According to one article I read, up to 20% of foods called “gluten free,” contain gluten. Also, do not eat restaurant food, ever.

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:40 AM

Not sure how long you've been gluten-free but if it's only for a month it will take more time. You will feel hungry a lot because now you actually feel like eating and your body is craving the nutrients you weren't getting. My doctor had me eating lots of protein -- think meat -- with every meal. I had dropped from 155 to 135. Because I kept pigging out and not exercising I eventually gained 70 pounds -- way too much. I've dropped 30 of that in about three months and want to lose 10 more.

I would also agree that for now you don't want to be eating at restaurants. Later, after you've healed, you could venture out to some local places with chefs or owners you can talk to. Eating out is risky but I've found impossible to live a nearly normal life without doing it every now and then.

richard

#4 emmeeann

emmeeann

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for your help. i only eat long grain white rice cooked in a rice cooker.i have never tried brown rice-love the white rice. will try brown rice soon. i also love mrs leepers corn pasta-taste just like "regular" macaroni. thank you for everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: