10 replies to this topic

#1 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

have you read it? is it worth buying? I'm on a tight budget and can't afford to waste the money, this diet is costing me enough money lol
I was thinking of buying a used copy
thanks!
~Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

I bought it and wasn't satisfied. I found Wheat Free, Worry Free to be a much more useful book.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

There was a discussion not long ago about this book where alot of members thought there was some advice in the book that wasn't appropriate (if memory serves, something like it's okay to take the stuff out of a regular sandwich and eat the stuff and just leave the bread, among many other things.....) It wasn't well received here, anyway.....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#4 MegGFBoston

MegGFBoston

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

have you read it? is it worth buying? I'm on a tight budget and can't afford to waste the money, this diet is costing me enough money lol
thanks!

I flipped thru it at the bookstore - but I didn't particularly like the style/tone of the writer - a bit sarcastic or something. I think you can find enough info on this website. Save your money. My opinion anyway

#5 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

It is a good resource book - a place to look things up. She does give some advice that isn't quite kosher.

I personally did not enjoy the book for one reason. The writer's affluence is showing. She is obviously not an average middle class lady. Well-to-do at least - more likely wealthy. It jumps out at you and I found it outright annoying. When the chef at a restaurant makes a special dish - just in case she should order it - I figure she must leave a tip equal to the amount of her bill!

Among the books I got at Christmas was one entitled "Gluten-Free 101' by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. I consider it a good place to start. Lots of practical information - also recipes.

I got other books also but this is the only one I have given a close look. I will post if any of the others are worth a review. Claire

#6 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

thanks!

That was the first book that I got, thinking that if it were the "bible" then it would be the perfect place to learn! But I have read thing in there that are all wrong and I am overly dissapointed. I would recomend Wheat Free, Worry Free and some others like Dangerous Grains if you like the scientific stuff. I get my best advice from the message board!!!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#7 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:28 AM

I read it when I was first diagnosed and loved it!!! Now that I am so much more knowlegeable about Celiac and what to eat I don't know if I would have the same reaction but I found it really informative and at the same time very amusing.

For the first 48 hours that I was diagnosed I had a little pity party for myself and this book is a big part of what snapped me out of that.

I now know some of the information in there was not correct, but none the less it helped me to have a great attitude about dealing with having Celiac, so I reccomend it.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:36 AM

I think Wheat Free Worry Free is a much better book to buy if you're new, and are only going to buy one or two books on the subject. In the gluten-free Bible, the author listed one of the meds. I take daily as being "not gluten free". After checking into it with the co. that produces the med., I found out that it was gluten-free, and the starch used was from potato. I also recommend Dangerous Grains--a real eye-opener.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

thanks guys, I'll save my money
~Betty

#10 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:18 PM

I haven't read the "Bible" but I did read Against The Grain. For the most part I enjoyed it, although I did disagree with some of the info. However if I were stranded and straving - maybe i would be forced to eat just the middle of a sandwich??? (Hey, how about a new Worst Case Scenario - Gluten Free and Stranded???) You may want to read either of her books (or any of the others suggested) but go to your library! That way if you don't like it, you've saved some money - if you do like it you've still saved your money!! :)
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#11 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

There was a discussion not long ago about this book where alot of members thought there was some advice in the book that wasn't appropriate (if memory serves, something like it's okay to take the stuff out of a regular sandwich and eat the stuff and just leave the bread, among many other things.....) It wasn't well received here, anyway.....

:blink:

What is the name of the book?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: