Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The Gluten Free Bible?

11 posts in this topic

have you read it? is it worth buying? I'm on a tight budget and can't afford to waste the money, this diet is costing me enough money lol

I was thinking of buying a used copy

thanks!

Ads by Google:

I bought it and wasn't satisfied. I found Wheat Free, Worry Free to be a much more useful book.

Elonwy

There was a discussion not long ago about this book where alot of members thought there was some advice in the book that wasn't appropriate (if memory serves, something like it's okay to take the stuff out of a regular sandwich and eat the stuff and just leave the bread, among many other things.....) It wasn't well received here, anyway.....

Karen

have you read it? is it worth buying? I'm on a tight budget and can't afford to waste the money, this diet is costing me enough money lol

thanks!

I flipped thru it at the bookstore - but I didn't particularly like the style/tone of the writer - a bit sarcastic or something. I think you can find enough info on this website. Save your money. My opinion anyway

It is a good resource book - a place to look things up. She does give some advice that isn't quite kosher.

I personally did not enjoy the book for one reason. The writer's affluence is showing. She is obviously not an average middle class lady. Well-to-do at least - more likely wealthy. It jumps out at you and I found it outright annoying. When the chef at a restaurant makes a special dish - just in case she should order it - I figure she must leave a tip equal to the amount of her bill!

Among the books I got at Christmas was one entitled "Gluten-Free 101' by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. I consider it a good place to start. Lots of practical information - also recipes.

I got other books also but this is the only one I have given a close look. I will post if any of the others are worth a review. Claire

thanks!

That was the first book that I got, thinking that if it were the "bible" then it would be the perfect place to learn! But I have read thing in there that are all wrong and I am overly dissapointed. I would recomend Wheat Free, Worry Free and some others like Dangerous Grains if you like the scientific stuff. I get my best advice from the message board!!!

I read it when I was first diagnosed and loved it!!! Now that I am so much more knowlegeable about Celiac and what to eat I don't know if I would have the same reaction but I found it really informative and at the same time very amusing.

For the first 48 hours that I was diagnosed I had a little pity party for myself and this book is a big part of what snapped me out of that.

I now know some of the information in there was not correct, but none the less it helped me to have a great attitude about dealing with having Celiac, so I reccomend it.

I think Wheat Free Worry Free is a much better book to buy if you're new, and are only going to buy one or two books on the subject. In the gluten-free Bible, the author listed one of the meds. I take daily as being "not gluten free". After checking into it with the co. that produces the med., I found out that it was gluten-free, and the starch used was from potato. I also recommend Dangerous Grains--a real eye-opener.

thanks guys, I'll save my money

I haven't read the "Bible" but I did read Against The Grain. For the most part I enjoyed it, although I did disagree with some of the info. However if I were stranded and straving - maybe i would be forced to eat just the middle of a sandwich??? (Hey, how about a new Worst Case Scenario - Gluten Free and Stranded???) You may want to read either of her books (or any of the others suggested) but go to your library! That way if you don't like it, you've saved some money - if you do like it you've still saved your money!! :)

There was a discussion not long ago about this book where alot of members thought there was some advice in the book that wasn't appropriate (if memory serves, something like it's okay to take the stuff out of a regular sandwich and eat the stuff and just leave the bread, among many other things.....) It wasn't well received here, anyway.....
:blink:

What is the name of the book?