Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Article On Celiac In Marie Claire!

9 posts in this topic

This may have already posted on here, but I was just flipping through the magazine and was so excited when I saw this article that I wanted to let everyone know.

It's in the February issue of Marie Claire, pgs. 166 -167.

There is a picture of a (naked) girl holding a huge roll infront of her (sorry guys you see nothing and the roll isn't exactly a sexy Playboy type pose), with the title "The Hidden Reason You Feel Bloated." I saw this and thought, no way this can't be an article on Celiac in a national, top fashion magazine... but it is!!

Ads by Google:

Cool! I'll have to pick up a copy. Is is well written and accurate?

Karen

I wouldn't run out to get a copy. You're not gonna read anything new. It was mostly accurate. For some reason the writer listed how much the blood tests cost, which if you have health insurance it costs just your copay at the doctor. The way it was written made it seem like this blood test is not covered by insurance. Also she briefly mentioned having the genes for celiac but possibly never getting it; but then incorrectly said but if you don't have the genes it is unlikely that you will develop celiac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't have the either the IQA or IQ8 gene for celiac there is no possibility you will develop it.

With the exception of these minor points, it was a good overview of celiac. More than anything I think it's just great awareness to have an article on celiac in such a popular magazine.

That's great!

-Jackie :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't have the either the IQA or IQ8 gene for celiac there is no possibility you will develop it.

There are some biopsy proven Celiacs who don't carry either the DQ2 or D8 gene. They have not yet identified all of the genes associated with celiac.

I suspect that the "biopsy proven Celiacs who don't carry either the DQ2 or D8 gene" may well have intestinal damage caused by casein. I know I have the intestinal damage, I have food intolerances by the dozen and I do not have Celiac genes - unless I have some Celiac gene that they haven't found yet. Claire

I suspect that the "biopsy proven Celiacs who don't carry either the DQ2 or D8 gene" may well have intestinal damage caused by casein. I know I have the intestinal damage, I have food intolerances by the dozen and I do not have Celiac genes - unless I have some Celiac gene that they haven't found yet. Claire

Claire,

Maybe you have DQ1. I think those Celiacs without DQ2 or DQ8 have DQ1 in common. From what I've read if there were another Celiac gene identified in the future it would likely be that one.

I know I have the intestinal damage, I have food intolerances by the dozen and I do not have Celiac genes - unless I have some Celiac gene that they haven't found yet. Claire

Also keep in mind that you obviously have a leaky gut but may have intact villi. Those with flattened villi have Celiac. Those with a leaky gut do not necessarily have damaged villi....like a Celiac would. So basically, having numerous food intolerances doesnt mean that you have villi damage.

cool! i have a subscription...i'll look for it!

I believe a few months back there was an article on celiac in Glamour (or similar) - it was great to see it in a national magazine. I'll have to dig to find the actual article and magazine...