8 replies to this topic

#1 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:22 AM

This may have already posted on here, but I was just flipping through the magazine and was so excited when I saw this article that I wanted to let everyone know.

It's in the February issue of Marie Claire, pgs. 166 -167.

There is a picture of a (naked) girl holding a huge roll infront of her (sorry guys you see nothing and the roll isn't exactly a sexy Playboy type pose), with the title "The Hidden Reason You Feel Bloated." I saw this and thought, no way this can't be an article on Celiac in a national, top fashion magazine... but it is!!
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:06 AM

Cool! I'll have to pick up a copy. Is is well written and accurate?

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

I wouldn't run out to get a copy. You're not gonna read anything new. It was mostly accurate. For some reason the writer listed how much the blood tests cost, which if you have health insurance it costs just your copay at the doctor. The way it was written made it seem like this blood test is not covered by insurance. Also she briefly mentioned having the genes for celiac but possibly never getting it; but then incorrectly said but if you don't have the genes it is unlikely that you will develop celiac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't have the either the IQA or IQ8 gene for celiac there is no possibility you will develop it.

With the exception of these minor points, it was a good overview of celiac. More than anything I think it's just great awareness to have an article on celiac in such a popular magazine.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#4 fisharefriendsnotfood

fisharefriendsnotfood

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

That's great!

-Jackie :)
14 years old
Diagnosed with celiac disease in 1993
Totally gluten-free since 1993

"All there is in life is wheat...Oh, wheat! Lots of wheat! Fields of wheat! A tremendous amount of wheat! Yellow wheat. Red wheat. Wheat with feathers. Cream of wheat!" - Woody Allen, Love and Death

#5 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't have the either the IQA or IQ8 gene for celiac there is no possibility you will develop it.

There are some biopsy proven Celiacs who don't carry either the DQ2 or D8 gene. They have not yet identified all of the genes associated with celiac.
Rachel

#6 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

I suspect that the "biopsy proven Celiacs who don't carry either the DQ2 or D8 gene" may well have intestinal damage caused by casein. I know I have the intestinal damage, I have food intolerances by the dozen and I do not have Celiac genes - unless I have some Celiac gene that they haven't found yet. Claire

#7 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:30 AM

I suspect that the "biopsy proven Celiacs who don't carry either the DQ2 or D8 gene" may well have intestinal damage caused by casein. I know I have the intestinal damage, I have food intolerances by the dozen and I do not have Celiac genes - unless I have some Celiac gene that they haven't found yet. Claire

Claire,

Maybe you have DQ1. I think those Celiacs without DQ2 or DQ8 have DQ1 in common. From what I've read if there were another Celiac gene identified in the future it would likely be that one.

I know I have the intestinal damage, I have food intolerances by the dozen and I do not have Celiac genes - unless I have some Celiac gene that they haven't found yet. Claire

Also keep in mind that you obviously have a leaky gut but may have intact villi. Those with flattened villi have Celiac. Those with a leaky gut do not necessarily have damaged villi....like a Celiac would. So basically, having numerous food intolerances doesnt mean that you have villi damage.
Rachel

#8 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:13 AM

cool! i have a subscription...i'll look for it!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#9 carriecraig

carriecraig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:36 AM

I believe a few months back there was an article on celiac in Glamour (or similar) - it was great to see it in a national magazine. I'll have to dig to find the actual article and magazine...
Carrie
Blood test May 25, 2005
Positive diagnosis through Endoscopy June 13, 2005
gluten-free since then...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: