6 replies to this topic

#1 lauradawn

lauradawn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:58 PM

I know that licking stamps is on the forbidden list. However, I was out today and had to send out 2 letters. I didn't want to lick them directly, so I licked my thumb and used that. For the 2nd letter I liked the other thumb to make sure I did not ingest any. However about an hour later I had diarreah. I don't think it could be that, so now I am racking my brain to think what else I have eaten. WHat's your opinion? Do you think it could have been that???????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lauradawn

lauradawn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:14 PM

I dont' know what happened to my other post yesturday..... I had to mail a couple letters out, but knew that licking a stamp is on the forbidden list. I decided to lick my thumb, and then used the other thumb for my 2nd letter. However, about an hour later I had diarreah with no other apparent connection. Is it possible that could have done it?????? It sounds absoultely absourd to me, but I have no idea what else could have done it. I was very careful not to use the same thumb, but I have no idea. Just curious what any of you thought. Sorry if this posts twice... I dont' know what happened

#3 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 01:25 PM

Hiya! I just went gluten-free on Friday night after finding out by biopsy results that I have Celiac. I've been trying to be extremely careful not to eat anything with gluten. Earlier today I accidentally licked an envelope and then had potty problems after that and I've been wondering if that could have done it for me! Argh! It's hard to remember you can't lick envelopes and stamps!

LISA

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 06:32 PM

Laura did you make sure to wash your hands afterwards? It may be that it absorbs in quickly and you might not have gotten it all off afterwards.

And yes it could be enough to cause "potty problems".

I use a sponge. I wet the tip of one end and then run it along the envelope. I also buy the self-adhesive stamps, so I don't have to worry about accidently licking the stamps.
(They also sell self-adhesive envelopes but they are a bit pricey.)

I am teaching my kids to be carefull about this issue too, but I worry at school about them. So far they remember with the envelpoes, it is the stickers that come in coloring books and such that they might forget about.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:31 PM

Stamps are a no no? I just licked some yesterday and I thought maybe I shouldn't so I tried the thumb thing and they wouldn't stick so I just licked them, eek. So, I should avoid that next time?

#6 JsBaby_G

JsBaby_G

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:44 PM

I too didn't know that stamps and stuff like that are a no-no?!?! Good thing I hate the way they taste so I always get my boyfriend to lick it or get self adhesive one!! :o
Crystal

#7 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:20 PM

Not all stamps would have gluten in the adhesive, but since it would be pretty hard to find out if they do or not, it is best to avoid ALL "lick-n-stick" types of things, like envelopes, kids stickers and stamps.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: