This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened!

rache

rache Apprentice

does anyone have any tips or suggestions after being accidentally glutened? i accidentally had the tiniest bit of something with wheat starch and i havent felt well since. this is the first time ive been glutened since apr. '05. im not sure if there are any reccomendations for how to deal with it. any tips for getting through the symptoms until my body gets back to normal? ive been trying to drink a lot of water to help keep myself hydrated and im forcing myself to eat even though i dont feel well. i cant afford to keep dropping weight! id appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cgilsing Enthusiast

make sure you get plenty of sleep and let your body heal. I have found that helps as much as anything! Have you ever tried ginger to ease your stomach? I have found that gluten-free ginger snap cookies by mi-del help me.....also I know it sounds silly, but I swear that sea-bands (little braclets that you can buy at the drug store....they are supposed to work like acupuncture) work for nausea! THey aren't the most stylish, but when your desperate any port in the storm right? :P I hope you feel better soon!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi--I wish I had something to offer, but you're drinking water and trying to eat--that's pretty much all I do when I have a gluten reaction. I just wait it out. Try and get some extra rest, if you can. I know that's not much help--hope you get to feeling better soon :)

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Peppermint oil in hot tea helps my tummy out after I have been glutened.

I am also a fan of "speeding up the healing process" -- I get plenty of sleep (at least 8 hours), work out in the mornings and make sure I eat plenty of vegetables, vitamins and fiber.

rache Apprentice

wow those were quick replies! :) i do feel more tired, ive already had a nap today. but its hard to get extra rest when youre chasing around a 12 month old all day. does anyone know if pepto or anything is gluten free? right now my biggest complaint is the stomach cramping/food poisoning-like symptoms.

jerseyangel Proficient

Pepto is gluten-free, as well as Immodium. I do use Immodium if I have to go out and an having symptoms. It works fast and lasts a while.

ebrbetty Rising Star
:o be very careful with peppermint of any kind if you have gerd, ulcer, or heartburn in anyway..I drank some by mistake in my ginger tea, thought I was going to die, 11 hours of intense pain

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I agree about the Pepto Bismol. It is what helps me along with drinking lots of water. One thing I want to mention, and it doesn't take as great, but I make sure the water is not too cold, as that seems to give a "shock" to my gut as it hits down there.

How does your body respond when you get glutened? Diarrhea? Immodium help for that apparently, but didn't work for me.

If you get abdominal cramps like I get, I like to get my hot water bottle, sit cross-legged on my bed and rock back and forth, humming to myself, breathing in my nose and out of my mouth. I almost get myself into a trance-like state doing that.

Good Luck!

Karen

key Contributor

Pepto bismol helps me too. I have taken dramamine for nausea, but haven't checked to see if it is gluten-free. It does seem to help me though.

Monica

Pepto bismol helps me too. I have taken dramamine for nausea, but haven't checked to see if it is gluten-free. It does seem to help me though.

Monica

Hi! Just checked the delphi list for you.

Dramamine (000.000.0000) (vp=06/21/02)

Original; Less Drowsy

Both of those are okay for you.....

Hugs.

Karen

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I suggest getting lots of rest. I find that orange juice and Thai Kitchen's spring onion soup help me feel better when I am glutened.

rache Apprentice

i feel worse today. bloated, stomache aches... although i havent felt great since ive been gluten-free, i now realize how bad it was before i was diagnosed. horrible....

key Contributor

Thanks Karen, I knew it made the nausea better, but thought it would be bad if there was gluten in it.

I need the Delphi forum list, huh! I am sure it would help me out.

Monica

Thanks Karen, I knew it made the nausea better, but thought it would be bad if there was gluten in it.

I need the Delphi forum list, huh! I am sure it would help me out.

Monica

Hi!

If you go into www.delphiforums.com, then on the left hand side, click on "Health & Wellness". Then the second forum down is the "Celiac Support Group" forum. Click on that (oops, you will at some point have to sign up to log in, but it is free......). Now scroll down and you will see "Gluten Free Products List", and if you click on that, the list comes up in nice handy convenient categories. There is also a section where you can download the whole list to print off......

Hope it helps!

Karen

codetalker Contributor

When I make a mistake, I use Metamucil as soon as possible. I try to stay away from Immodium and Pepto, etc. unless absolutely necessary. I seem to recover faster by getting things through my system and out as soon as possible. Lots of water helps, too.

Ursa Major Collaborator
When I make a mistake, I use Metamucil as soon as possible. I try to stay away from Immodium and Pepto, etc. unless absolutely necessary. I seem to recover faster by getting things through my system and out as soon as possible. Lots of water helps, too.

Just a note of caution here, for anybody who uses metamucil: I had the pharmacist call the 1-800 number to find out what they sweeten it with (since it says 'no sugar added') and it's actually sweetened with Aspartame! That stuff is pure poison. I put it back and didn't buy it, even though my doctor advised me to use it. Psyllium may not taste good, but at least it's really natural.

I find that the best help for my stomach comes from a homeopathic remedy called 'sepia', which you'll find in the health food store. Chamomile tea is helpful, too (good thing I can tolerate it, it's the only tea you can buy without salicylates in it!).

codetalker Contributor

Good catch!

I just checked the package and aspartame is definitely listed. I've read negative things about it so am inclined to avoid it.

Thanks for your post. I really appreciate it.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Interesting, codetalker, because the package here in Canada doesn't list aspartame, the rules of disclosure must be different here. Even the pharmacist didn't know about it (he also read the ingredients list, and it definetely wasn't there), and was visibly upset after calling for me that they put aspartame into something like that. He thought that people who have gastro problems didn't need to be poisoned by aspartame on top of those! He told me not to buy it (which I wouldn't have done anyway).

The rules up here suck, Ursula. I am hoping that the legislation the U.S. has recently passed regarding food labelling will eventually be adopted here...... Manufacturers can switch between corn to wheat, back to corn, back to wheat, as often as they wish, depending on which happens to be the cheapest at the time - it is really almost criminal they are allowed to do that.....

Karen

carriecraig Enthusiast
One thing I want to mention, and it doesn't take as great, but I make sure the water is not too cold, as that seems to give a "shock" to my gut as it hits down there.

Karen, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I once read that the worst thing in the world for digestion and your system is drinking ice-cold water. Since then, I have avoided it as much as possible. At work we have a H2O fountain, and I always add a little bit of hot water to my cold water, to warm it up a bit.

glutenboy Newbie

I use Sonne's #7 (bentonite) and #9 (psyllium fiber) when I get glutened. Helps to deal with the big D. Before I realized I had gluten issues, I actually used it a lot and decided I need to look into what's really wrong if I'm using that stuff daily.

Now that I've read the ingredients (www.sonnes.com), I wonder if psyllium is gluten-free? I'm so paranoid these days...anyway, it works (or helps, anyway) for me.

rache Apprentice

i'm finally feeling a little better, after having the worst stomach aches last night. i took my Phenergan to help the nausea, and fell asleep. thank you to everyone who offered suggestions. i actually took some notes from everyone to keep in case this happens again!

jerseyangel Proficient

Rache--So glad you are feeling better :)

CeliaCruz Rookie
I try to stay away from Immodium and Pepto, etc. unless absolutely necessary. I seem to recover faster by getting things through my system and out as soon as possible. Lots of water helps, too.

That's what I do too. I always figured that slowing down the diarrhea would only lengthen the whole recovery process. I mean, if my body wants all that stuff out of my body that fast, why not let it happen? (Sometimes I even speed things up by drinking coffee.) I should probably add that no one ever advised me to do this so I'm not entirely sure it's the best course of action.

I also should add that for some reason I never get those painful cramps when I have diarrhea so it's probably easier for me to leave my diarrhea untreated than others.

Archived