This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Helluva Good Dip

blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Does anyone have experience with the Helluva Good French Onion dip. It has MSG, but it only says Milk as an allergen on the container. I am not a sensitive celiac but I still don't take chances. Thanks Everyone

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

I don't know if it is gluten free, but if you post the ingredients and which ones you think are suspect, I'm sure we could come up with a good answer!

MSG does not contain gluten. However, there is much discussion that it is not 'great' for you. But in terms of Celiac, it is safe.

pattic Rookie

I know I checked on 'hellava' products years ago over the phone, but it was so long ago, updated info would be a good idea. I remember the woman was very nice and knew what I was talking about. Some of their products were indeed gluten-free, but not all of them. Phone number on package? I'd be happy to make the inquiry again for everyone.

sorry not more help than that!

~Patti in NJ~

teebs in WV Apprentice

I thought that I saw this product listed somewhere before (in one of my various lists), but I can't seem to find it now....sorry

Personally, I find it easy to just stick with Kraft products - I think their French Onion Dip is yummy!

kathy1 Contributor
I know I checked on 'hellava' products years ago over the phone, but it was so long ago, updated info would be a good idea. I remember the woman was very nice and knew what I was talking about. Some of their products were indeed gluten-free, but not all of them. Phone number on package? I'd be happy to make the inquiry again for everyone.

sorry not more help than that!

~Patti in NJ~

the phone number is 888-611-4341 , i just happen to have an empty container in the trash! The French Onion Dip states milk,cream,salt,dehrydrated onion; sugar;msg;parsley; spices;modified food starch; gelatin; potassium sotbate and enzyme. I'd be thrilled to know what you find out if you call.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Thanks Everyone!

I don't know why I thought the MSG had gluten but in the beginng everything is overwhelming so you take in a lot of info at once. I must have got something mixed up.

happygirl Collaborator

If anyone calls, I'd be interested to know.

Everything on there looks safe to me except modified food starch. Let's hope its not from wheat!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 years later...
Bigsis Newbie

If anyone calls, I'd be interested to know.

Everything on there looks safe to me except modified food starch. Let's hope its not from wheat!

I called helluva good while at the grocery store a few days ago. All of their dips are gluten fee as well as their cheeses. I also called frito lay and kraft. Both companies told me that if there was even a tiny amount of gluten in their products...they would list the source as gluten or the grain. Frito lay said that their food starch comes from potato,tapioco and another gluten free source that I cannot remember, lol. Companies are always happy to speak with you. My daughter has been celiac since age 10 mo(29 now). The companies also explained to me that msg used to come from a wheat source but now is chemically made(not from gluten). I just started a gluten free diet 3 days ago. Hope this helps. xx

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I called helluva good while at the grocery store a few days ago. All of their dips are gluten fee as well as their cheeses. I also called frito lay and kraft. Both companies told me that if there was even a tiny amount of gluten in their products...they would list the source as gluten or the grain. Frito lay said that their food starch comes from potato,tapioco and another gluten free source that I cannot remember, lol. Companies are always happy to speak with you. My daughter has been celiac since age 10 mo(29 now). The companies also explained to me that msg used to come from a wheat source but now is chemically made(not from gluten). I just started a gluten free diet 3 days ago. Hope this helps. xx

Just be aware that Frito Lay doesn't list CC issues on their packages. They do however have this included on their website along with the items it pertains to:

"Please note however, some of the products listed below may be manufactured on the same lines as products that contain gluten. Although our lines are washed between batches, Frito-Lay has not tested these products for gluten content and the ingredients in these products may have come into contact with gluten-containing products prior to manufacturing. Individuals who are sensitive to gluten should take these factors into consideration in consuming these products."

Bigsis Newbie

Just be aware that Frito Lay doesn't list CC issues on their packages. They do however have this included on their website along with the items it pertains to:

"Please note however, some of the products listed below may be manufactured on the same lines as products that contain gluten. Although our lines are washed between batches, Frito-Lay has not tested these products for gluten content and the ingredients in these products may have come into contact with gluten-containing products prior to manufacturing. Individuals who are sensitive to gluten should take these factors into consideration in consuming these products."

Thank you, What is CC?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank you, What is CC?

CC is cross contamination from wheat being used in the same plant or on the same lines. Flour dust stays suspending in the air for quite a while and can contaminate stuff that would otherwise be gluten free. CC is also a problem in our own kitchens, that is why we need a new toaster for gluten-free breads, to replace colanders and cutting boards and scratched pans. Even a small amount can keep the antibody reaction going. Some will react more severely to CC than others and some can safely eat stuff made in shared facilities and on shared lines. At first I think it best to be as strict as possible then after fully healing add in items that are from shared lines etc and see if a reaction happens.

Archived