This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Toaster Oven Should Be gluten-free

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

I am not being lazy but since I starting going gluten-free Monday night, I don't think I can read every post until I find the answer to this. I've already checked many threads/topics with no luck. Over and over I see where everyone says you have to get a new toaster which makes complete sense. I don't have a toaster but a toaster oven instead. I can take it apart and clean it thoroghly but many of you seem to think it's best just to start over with a new appliance. So what do you do about your real ovens? My range is almost brand new and I can't replace it. And I can't find anyone here who has said it was even necessary. So if you use the reg. oven you used to bake gluten in, why can't you use the same toaster oven - if it's clean as a whistle and you don't put gluten in it anymore? And since many of you bake non gluten things for your families and surely you don't all have double ovens - do you eat gluten-free stuff you put in your reg. oven, which also is used for gluten stuff? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
I am not being lazy but since I starting going gluten-free Monday night, I don't think I can read every post until I find the answer to this. I've already checked many threads/topics with no luck. Over and over I see where everyone says you have to get a new toaster which makes complete sense. I don't have a toaster but a toaster oven instead. I can take it apart and clean it thoroghly but many of you seem to think it's best just to start over with a new appliance. So what do you do about your real ovens? My range is almost brand new and I can't replace it. And I can't find anyone here who has said it was even necessary. So if you use the reg. oven you used to bake gluten in, why can't you use the same toaster oven - if it's clean as a whistle and you don't put gluten in it anymore? And since many of you bake non gluten things for your families and surely you don't all have double ovens - do you eat gluten-free stuff you put in your reg. oven, which also is used for gluten stuff? :huh:

Just clean it throughly. That is all. Same in theroy would work with your toasters/etc,but most of them are so dirt cheap that its eiaser to replace them. I got my toaster for like $5 at walmart.

cgilsing Enthusiast

I think it is really a personal decision based on how sensitive you are. I have read that people on this board have bought all new pots and pans (gluten can "hide" in teflon), and new appliances. I personally have not bought any new appliances or pots and pans, and I do just fine. I always cook 100% gluten free in my house so I feel that my pots and pans are safe. My husband does have his own toaster, and he eats "real" bread. Having it in the kitchen has never caused me a problem. Although he does have strict rules about getting crumbs in the butter :P Sometimes for a treat he will make himself a pizza in the oven and I will later cook dinner in the same oven with no problems. I never put any of my food directly on the rack though. I think for most people, if you are careful and very concious about what your food comes in contact with in your kitchen you will be fine. If you find that that isn't enough and you are still having problems, then maybe you should consider replacing pots and pans, and toaster ovens. (Be sure to wash that toaster oven REALLY well though) Good luck with everything. You said you are just starting out. This board is GREAT for finding answers to tough questions, and just for support! ;)

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Tiffany--I wouldn't worry about the toaster oven, or your regular oven, for that matter. It's only the surface that touches your food that you need to be concerned with, so if the pan, plate or whatever you are using are clean, then no problem. You can always do what I do--use foil whenever you are in doubt. I use tons of it now! I got my own toaster at Wal Mart, also. :) I made the decision to replace all my pans with stainless steel--the old ones with the non stick interiors had some cuts in them and it made me nervous. I kept one for gluten items--have not yet used it! I also replaced the strainer and the wooden spoons. I took the silverware drawer organizer out and ran it through the dishwasher--it had crumbs in it.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Vydorscope - how are you? I'm ording my bread machine from Target this week if they still have it.

Patti - I realized that I have to bake frozen waffles for my neices/nephews when they visit. Before they come again, I'll get myself a really nice, large toaster oven and keep my small one to use when they are here. For now I'll clean the current one very well. And cleaning the silverware drawer is an excellent idea. Something else I hadn't even thought about. Boy this gluten-free thing really keeps your mind working which is a positive yet tiring thing. I guess it takes a while to really make all the necessary changes. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have all you to help me get started. So many of the posts address so many of my questions. I feel very fortunate indeed!

elonwy Enthusiast

On the toaster oven, we have a mixed usage toaster oven, and basically whenever my food is in there I put tin foil down. I also wipe it down quite often in case of splatter. Our toaster oven is a crazy deluxe model we got as an Xmas gift in 2004 and I was not about to go buy a new one, so I cleaned it thouroughly and we developed a tinfoil and who goes first with toast rule. ( I do, because otherwise changing out the foil would burn my fingers, whereas he can put his bread on my tin foil and have no issues) or as I like to put it, "my food doesn't poison YOU."

As for the oven, yer fine as long as the surfaces you are putting your food on is clean, and I'd give it a nice once over with some oven cleaner and a spounge, but I've never had an issue with the oven.

Toasters though, those are cess-pits of evil glutenness and should be replaced. ( I like to demonize the gluten, makes it easier for me mentally).

Tin foil is a fabulous thing.

Elonwy

VydorScope Proficient

Good t hear floridanative I hope it works as well for you as it works for us!!

Gad you finaly got your DX btw! Now you can get BETTER :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliaCruz Rookie
Over and over I see where everyone says you have to get a new toaster which makes complete sense. I don't have a toaster but a toaster oven instead. I can take it apart and clean it thoroghly but many of you seem to think it's best just to start over with a new appliance.

I always took the "new toaster" advice to mean that you should get a SECOND toaster if you had a family or roommates who use the communal toaster to toast unsafe things. That way there'd be one toaster for non-gluten breads bagels and another for glutenous breads and bagels. I live alone so I just cleaned out my existing toaster oven.

Guest nini

we have a shared toaster oven here and I don't worry about the oven... what I do is in the toaster oven when I am toasting something for me or Chey I either put foil down or make sure that the rack has just come out of the dishwasher.

I never cook anything directly on the rack in the oven so I don't worry about it. Hubby cooks his gluten pizzas and fish sticks in there all the time and as sensitive as I am I've not had a problem with that (knock wood)... where I run into problems is if he's left crumbs on the counter or a tv tray and I inadvertantly set my food directly on an area before cleaning it first.

I've tried to designate a gluten free zone on the counter, but it doesn't seem to register with him! :rolleyes:

anyway, don't worry too much about the toaster oven, I wouldn't buy a new one unless you just want a bigger one. It's the upright toasters that are harder to keep clean and easy to get cc. Just run the rack through the dishwasher before you use it, or use foil... wipe down the inside real good if it's an older toaster oven...

kabowman Explorer

When I cook gluten food like pizza for the kids and hubby in the oven, I cook mine first then theirs then I leave the oven door open to air out. Never have problems with crumbs in there either.

Most of our foods are gluten-free/DF except for the bread for lunches. Now, everyone puts their bread on a plate or plastic cutting board rather than the counter (hubby's idea) just in case.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

did anyone mention the microwave ovens?

I didn't see it if it was discussed.

Any thoughts.

Judy

jerseyangel Proficient

Judy--I would say the same applies to the microwave--I keep it clean inside by wiping down the walls and taking the glass dish out and washing it in hot, soapy water. Make sure to wipe the handle often with a soapy dishcloth. Beyond that, I put my food on a clean plate in the microwave.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy--I would say the same applies to the microwave--I keep it clean inside by wiping down the walls and taking the glass dish out and washing it in hot, soapy water. Make sure to wipe the handle often with a soapy dishcloth. Beyond that, I put my food on a clean plate in the microwave.

Patti-

the door handle..gosh your through.... :lol:

I don't do that

The mw is so high up I have to use a stool to use it and that's a scarey site....but must keep it cleaner.

Was hoping the 'waves' would nuke the g. :ph34r:

No easy answers here...is there ever :lol:

thanks Patti

Judy

PS got a note from Mark re" liquid soaps and ordered 2 kinds. said can use in the bath :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient

Judy--why is your microwave up so high? Mine is up over my stove, but it's about eye level. The liquid soaps--are they new? I just ordered Friday.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy--why is your microwave up so high? Mine is up over my stove, but it's about eye level. The liquid soaps--are they new? I just ordered Friday.

have a very very small kitchen and we needed counter space and Jim did put it above the stove but i'm short. It's fine for Jim I should make him clean it :rolleyes:

I think the soaps were there before but he said the one can be used as a shower soap.

I used the dove senstive body wash and the spots created by the er trip started acting up sooooo using the shampo for bath now...Mark said some people use this soap as a shampo too.j

VydorScope Proficient

IMO: The answer in MOST cases MOST of the time is just a real good cleaning. Things like toasters are are impossible to keep clean need to be replaced or doubeld up.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't worry about the oven but did replace my toaster. But something I didn't think of for 3 years was my can opener. I have a totally gluten-free household, except for pet foods. I bought a new one for people and kept the old one for the pets as no matter how hard I try it never really looks clean. I found I haven't had to deal with as many 'mystery' contaminations since then.

Oh ravenwoodglass....the can opener...nope - I would not have thought of that. We're going to clean out the pantry and fridge Sat. so we'll take a look at all our kitchen items that come in contact with food. I was thinking we should chuck our plastic cutting boards too. I think maybe the glass cutting boards would be best. Anyone else agree or do you think plastic is fine as long as you get new and don't use them for any gluten stuff?

jerseyangel Proficient

Plastic would be fine, you're only planning on using it with non-gluten items anyway, so I would get whatever you're most comfortable using. I use an old-school type hand crank can opener. I throw it in the dishwasher when I use it.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I use an old-school type hand crank can opener. I throw it in the dishwasher when I use it.

Dito Patti--that's what I do also.

You know It's the sliverware drawer for me....oie,,,Mine is RIGHT under the counter convienent but oh gets so many crumbs...clean everyother day now...(I'm not a neat freak) just like everyone else, where that little bugger 'gluten' can hide.... :lol:

Patti-

side items here...Mark from S just returned my call and he's sending me a small sample of something like 'jojoeb' (????) It's a oil you only use a drop of but it might help my dryed out hair. Isn't that company amazing....Told him can't use the Dove sensitive body wash now....so ordered the 2 kinds of liquid soap and he's mailing the oil with the order today. He wants me to email him what i think of it. They are thinking of doing some product with it....Told him we were interested in the gel/spray to test... :lol:

Asked him if he ever went on the forum to see all the nice comments about his company and he said he does try to keep cking the threads....

have a great day.

j

jerseyangel Proficient

Judy--as you know, the Dove soap didn't agree with me either. That's great about the oil--hope it works for your hair! I'm glad that they're expanding the line--must mean it's popular. We should probably say that we're talking about products from The Gluten Free Savonnerie--in case people are reading this and are wondering :D

BB22 Newbie

Hi

I'm new to this too. I've been searching like a mad woman. Gluten-free Casein-free soy-free since November, I gluttened myself this past weekend. Oh I Never again will doubt.

Like most of you, I am a new person on the diet. I found a great page somewhere on the www, I printed it & gave it away to one of my docs & now I can't remember where it was. A great listing of all the hidden cross-contamination potentials - i.e. the butter dish. Do any of you happen to know? I went back to delphi forum - & if there I can't remember where.

Any concise lists that I can put in my pocket, to go to the grocery store as well , would be most appreciated.

I don't cook. I'm living on a pot of gruel; morning noon & night. greens, rice, protein & ok soup stock. Fruit, and veggies. I hate corn tortillas. Why did I read cooked greens, but fresh spinach? All the cans of beans say "processed in a plant w/ wheat"... Then I read to be careful of scoops in bins of natural food stores. Do you folks buy beans & lentils dried & packaged & then wash them??? Do I wash dishes before I eat, when ever I am away from home? What about the keyboard that we all share at work. Do I have to ask them all to wash after eating the donuts? Am I mistaken or are my dried apples bothering me too?

Does anyone else have skin like tissue paper? Does anyone share this disease with many family members?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy--as you know, the Dove soap didn't agree with me either. That's great about the oil--hope it works for your hair! I'm glad that they're expanding the line--must mean it's popular. We should probably say that we're talking about products from The Gluten Free Savonnerie--in case people are reading this and are wondering :D

Thanks so much Patti was trying to 'multi task' and screwing everything up.was still in PJ's and just got shower and now getting coffee :ph34r::blink::o:ph34r:

have to get off this darn computer and get going.

judy

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Toasters should be replaced..toaster ovens well I would clean it thoroughly. For ovens and toaster ovens you need to clean...now I know most people do not think about this but baked potatoes and things like that you put right onto it so I would just make sure it is cleaned very well.

Archived