This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could I Be Anymore Pathetic

Firegirl43

Firegirl43 Contributor
:o i WAS AT WORK AND ONE OF THE DRUG REPS BROUGHT IN OLIVER GARDEN ( ITALIAN FOOD) I KNEW IT WAS THERE IWENTOVER TO GET SOMETHING TO DRINK AND THEN I STARTED SMELLING AND SEEING ALL OF THE FOOD AND WHEN I LEFT THE ROOM I CRYED. I KNOW ITS A STUPID THINK TO CRY OVER BUT WELL I COULDNT HELP IT.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian Karen Community Regular

I wouldn't consider that pathetic at all! I would call that part of the natural process of mourning. I can remember balling my eyes out when I realized I couldn't pig out on my Schzewan Chinese Food anymore. I cried even more when I found out clamato juice is not gluten free and I could not longer have my Blood Caesars (it's an alcoholic beverage here in Canada). We have all been there, so yeah, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!!! ;)

To quote my Mom, as she uses this all the time: "And this too shall pass......"

Hugs.

Karen

dlp252 Apprentice
:o i WAS AT WORK AND ONE OF THE DRUG REPS BROUGHT IN OLIVER GARDEN ( ITALIAN FOOD) I KNEW IT WAS THERE IWENTOVER TO GET SOMETHING TO DRINK AND THEN I STARTED SMELLING AND SEEING ALL OF THE FOOD AND WHEN I LEFT THE ROOM I CRYED. I KNOW ITS A STUPID THINK TO CRY OVER BUT WELL I COULDNT HELP IT.

Not stupid at all!

fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice

It's not pathetic at all! Especially if you are newly diagnosed, I can see why you are crying. It's all a question of willpower, don't worry. You will be stronger soon! :):D:D

-Jackie :)

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I admit to tearing up at their commercial... sniff sniff... :(

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
I wouldn't consider that pathetic at all! I would call that part of the natural process of mourning. I can remember balling my eyes out when I realized I couldn't pig out on my Schzewan Chinese Food anymore. I cried even more when I found out clamato juice is not gluten free and I could not longer have my Blood Caesars (it's an alcoholic beverage here in Canada). We have all been there, so yeah, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!!! ;)

To quote my Mom, as she uses this all the time: "And this too shall pass......"

Hugs.

Karen

Karen,

Have your tried making Schezwan at home??

Schezwan Chicken

Boneless Chicken - cut into pieces

Egg - 1-2 eggs

Corn flour - Depends on personal taste (how breaded you like it)

Allpurpose flour gluten-free Flour - Depends how breaded you like the chicken

Salt - As reqd

Sugar - as req'd

Black pepper powder - ½ tsp

Red chilli peppers - 3-4

Sriracha (Asian Pepper Sauce) - ½ tsp

Tomato sauce - 1 tsp

Small onions (diced)

Oil for deep frying / sauteeing

Preparation Method

1)Mix the chicken with corn flour, egg and a little salt (the more flour, the more breaded your chicken will become).

2)Deep-fry each piece of chicken separately.

3)When they turn golden brown, drain the excess oil and remove.

4)Heat some peanut oil in a pan and sauté onions, red chillies and add the fried chicken.

5)Add sugar, Schezwan sauce, tomato sauce and black pepper powder.

It takes some practice, but its close...

OOOOOHHHH! (as she is wringing her hands in anticipation and with glee!!!)

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

I am printing it off as we speak (um, type)....

I will have to let you know how it turns out when I try it (probably the weekend!)

Doesn't take much to get me excited, eh? :lol::lol::P

Thanks!

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Please don't be so hard on yourself--there are so many changes and so much to think about when we're first Dx--it's natural that the realization that we can't have something that we have always loved would make us sad. I remember the day I was in a resturant and afraid to order anything, but still hungry. I got tears in my eyes that day, too. That was months ago. Now, I go nowhere without some food in my purse. It's no biggie anymore. Feel better :)

Guest Viola

It's not stupid at all. I've done it, as has quite a few of us I expect. And I'm not sure the tears are only over the food, but over a very important life style that we have lost. By that I mean joining in on the food, the conversations and the 'cozyness' of standing around with a plate full of food, laughing and talking without 'standing out' because we can't partake.

And please everyone ... I know we can still stand around and talk ... but it really isn't complete.

Lisa Mentor

We have all been there. My husband and I love going to quality restaurants. We don't do that anymore, that the pissy part. There is no reason to do that any more when you search the menu and find nothing you can eat and the chef is too busy to give your the attention you need. But, on the flip side, I have become one heck of a good cook....oops, that reminds me, gotta feed the folks here. (my husband thinks that I have a boyfriend of this forum :blink: I have cried over many a menu!!!!! :(

Lisa B.

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

Nah, I think it would be stranger if you didn't mourn.

You learn pretty quickly, however, that consuming gluten makes you want to die so it's just not worth it.

It is tough explaining things at work functions, however.

We had a luncheon at work right before Christmas and the only thing that was safe for me to eat was some steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mixture. So I had a big plate of soggy vegetables and of course wound up sitting next to the VP of the company. I think he was personally offended that I was not gorging myself like everyone else because my company was "nice enough" to give us this lunch. Oh well.

Things get better, I promise :)

ebrbetty Rising Star

I've cried over food I can't eat too.

tonight I made my hubby and son fried pasta with my homemade sause, meatballs, sausage..with fresh italian bread. :o

I has bologna sandwich on a gluten-free roll with mustard :unsure: at least it was something to eat besides chicken!

Guest nini

shoot, just a couple of weeks ago, one of our patients at the clinic brought us in a most beautiful cheesecake... It was actually INTENDED for ME :( and then he remembered I couldn't have wheat and he felt really bad about it. I cried pretty hard over that one. I could tell it was a really expensive cheesecake too.

mouse Enthusiast

I said I was through posting and here I am. I get teary when I pass a Long John Silver's. I miss fish and chips. Even tho I have tried to make them for the last two years - they are just not fish and chips that I miss and love.

Now the comment that made me write. I have a gluten free kitchen including pasta and all flours. The only thing that is gluten is my husband's bread and his frozen waffles. He also has his own toaster for them and a separate part of the counter. I cook very nice meals, including pasta that everyone eats. I make brownies that no one can tell are gluten free. I have enough to do on my recovery without cooking separate meals. Maybe it is my age, but at 63 if my granddaughter (18 and llives with us), says this is gluten free with a ugly face - without tasting it, then I say go out to eat or open a can. She has even eaten my pasta dishes and said she can't tell the difference.

Boy, maybe I should have stayed off of the forum as my ugly side is showing. But as far as eating out. We go out to dinner twice a month and not always to PF Changs or the Outback. I am not saying that I don't get nervous when I try a new place, because I do. But, I make sure I go before they get busy and I talk to the manager and I have not had any problems. I did not retire to be a total slave to the kitchen.

Sorry for spouting off. I know it takes a LONG time to get comfortable with the diet and speaking up in a restaurant or even in our own homes. The first time we went out to dinner with friends they were embarassed about the instructions I gave the waiter. The daughter and the husband even rolled their eyes. Now when we eat out with them, they are piping up with some of the instructions. They now realize it was not overkill on my part. It takes time. But MOSTLY it takes time for US to be comfortable with our disease. We should not feel guilty because we have this. If we had Cancer, everyone would be all supportive. We just have to educate our family, friends and co-workers that this is vital to our well being.

DON'T EVER FEEL QUILTY BECAUSE YOU CRY OVER FOOD YOU CAN'T HAVE. We are raised that food is love. Well someone pulled that love rug from under us and we had to find another love rug to replace it.

i canary Rookie

I think you had a normal reaction. So far I just gotten teary eyed over what I can't have when everyone is eating something that looks and smells good. I have cried when I found something I could eat that I didn't know about. That's happened a couple of times. The last time was at Don Pablos last month when I had Cheese Nachos - the first Mexican food I've had in three years. It was so good!!!! :lol:

skoki-mom Explorer

Well, if you are pathetic, so am I. I haven't cried in a while, but I most certainly have cried. Not so much because I want a certain thing that I can't have, but because I get sooooo frustrated at the lack of options for me. I've cried because I've said no to dinner invitations that I know would be a really good time, but I just can't face watching every one else eat. I'm ok in situations where you just go for "beer and nachos", because it's not a real meal anyhow and I just have a coke, but when it's meant to be your DINNER, I hate it, I hate going, and I avoid it if I can. Sometimes the smells of food make me crazy, I seem to be highly aware of the smell of EVERYTHING now.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I get teary when I pass a Long John Silver's. I miss fish and chips. Even tho I have tried to make them for the last two years - they are just not fish and chips that I miss and love.

Armetta, try try this recipe for fish batter. I had a craving one day, and since my son is gluten-free, I had to research it, and found this. I've made it twice and we love it. And, for what it's worth, my sister tried it with all-purpose flour and didn't like it. I guess the trick is the sweet rice flour. I hope you can have corn and rice.

Fish Batter

2 egg whites

1/3 cup cornstarch

1/2 tsp paprika (helps the batter turn a lovely light golden brown)

1/4 cup sweet rice flour

Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.

Sift the cornstarch and paprika over the egg whites and fold in. (Set aside)

Rinse the fish and pat dry.

Dredge fish in the sweet rice flour.

Dip into batter.

Cook, eat and enjoy.

You're better off to cook this in a wok. The first time I tried to use a deep fryer the batter got all stuck into the basket. What a mess!

Oh yeah! Use Alaskan Pollock.

Oh Armetta! I'm so sorry. I hope I didn't make you cry, I just read that you have corn and egg white allergies.

elonwy Enthusiast

Its totally ok to cry. I've gone to the bathroom in several restaurants to cry my eyes out when things haven't gone well. My most recent was when they brought me the wrong food after a lengtly discussion ( busboy brought me the wrong plate, was the ordinary dish instead of my specially fixed one) and I took a bite before it was caught. I didn't even feel sick yet, but I went in the bathroom and cried for about twenty minutes out of sheer frustration at the stupidity of the situation.

I've gone home after many a dinner out and cried, I've cried in my office at work. I try not to cry in front of people, because they try to comfort me, and if I'm crying its becuase I just need to get it all out and cope with it, but I let myself cry when I need to.

We are taught our whole lives that food is comfort, food is safety. Then it gets taken away. Our favorite things possibly, or just a carefree ness to dealing with life and food. It sucks, its sad and fer a while you're going to be mad and sad and sometimes both. The good news is, is after a while the good side to it all starts to get bigger than the sucky side, and it feels so much better that its not a big deal anymore.

I mentioned in another thread that I demonize gluten. I don't go around saying wheat is evil for everyone, but I personally call it poison. It made it easier for me to get over the loss emotionally, because I never refer to it in a positive sense. I think that I got over missing food faster because I did that. ( I actually would walk through the grocery store muttering 'poison, poison' under my breath as I looked at stuff). I have a really weird brain though, so that may not work for everyone.

And everyone at the grocery store thinks I'm nuts anyway because I also have the 'yay I found something gluten free' jiggy dance.

Hope you feel better soon.

Elonwy

hez Enthusiast

When I first got my dx I seemed to be crying on a daily basis. Everyday I would find something else I could not have. I cried over communion, not being able to eat my dd girl scout cookies (she is 4 and not even a girl scout, I am a planner), not eating my childeren's wedding cake (again ds 7 and dd 4), eating out and the list goes on and on. For me crying is a way to express all the emotions I have. From anger to sadness. I still cry, but not as frequently. I do think it is a process of mourning. Keep coming here for comfort.

Hez

mouse Enthusiast

Thanks Linda. I did not cry because I am going to make this as soon as possible. My egg white and corn allergies make me itch. If I have them too often then I wheeze. I will make absolutely sure I have neither for many days before. You have really made my day. :)

Guest nini

elonwy, that's what I do too... everytime I see wheat... I mutter "poison" under my breath...

lonewolf Collaborator
I've cried over food I can't eat too.

tonight I made my hubby and son fried pasta with my homemade sause, meatballs, sausage..with fresh italian bread. :o

I has bologna sandwich on a gluten-free roll with mustard :unsure: at least it was something to eat besides chicken!

Why didn't you eat your delicious sauce on gluten-free pasta? Do you have a way to get it? If not, it's pretty easy to make. Gluten Free Pantry makes a good Country French Bread mix that's easy to make and tastes great. If you'd like help converting some of your favorite recipes to gluten-free, let us help you! I'm sure you could enjoy meatballs, sausage and pasta again. We just had lasagne for dinner tonight!

Back to the topic:

I have cried over food I couldn't eat, but not for a long time now. I get frustrated sometimes that I can't eat things like Chinese (no soy :( ), but no more tears. It is normal though to grieve over the loss of your former normal life.

Armetta,

I am glad to see you posting. That made my day! ;)

Karen

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Thanks Linda. I did not cry because I am going to make this as soon as possible. My egg white and corn allergies make me itch. If I have them too often then I wheeze. I will make absolutely sure I have neither for many days before. You have really made my day. :)

Oh good. I thought for sure that my post would be sent over to the "most annoying comments" thread. Yeah, a lady gave me a great recipe for everything I'm allergic to.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You are certainly not pathetic. It has been 3 years now and I still sometimes cry, especially at holidays when the rest of the family is out at a nice restaurant and I can't go. My DS is as sensitive as I am so he usually stays home with me and we make a extra special meal. You are perfectly normal as another poster pointed out it is a greiving process, if you are newly diagnosed you are most likely also going through withdrawl. It will get better.

Archived