This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipes

Carriefaith

tarnalberry Community Regular
Just review the recipies, I was wondering if a motivated person on the board would like to compile a cook book, Ginko's could put it together and we could buy if from that motivated person. Recipies with brand names to make it easy, would be a wonderful help to new and old members here.

As well, as a little profit for the effort. I would buy it in heart beat.

Oh, yeah, that's a great idea. (not me, I'm spending all my free time putting on a wedding in THREE MONTHS, for 500 of my closest and dearest friends :blink: ..... take a deep breath, Lisa.)

Any takers.

Lisa

I have been thinking about doing that with my recipes (though I was thinking of self-publishing), but as like everyone else - where's the time?! ;-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa Mentor

Just take one step at a time..and then your have your material. I will be more than glad to contibute.

Add to your list as you go and you will be surprized how many you have.

The cool thing about this idea is that you could use named band produce, although it may change, you can use a disclaimer.

After the summer, I can (maybe) do this. Don't want to make promises that I can't keep. ;)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
After the summer, I can (maybe) do this. Don't want to make promises that I can't keep.
Depending on the job I eventually get, I will consider working on a cookbook after this summer. However, if I get an intense high demanding job then I probably won't have the time. I'm glad to see that people are interested! I've been thinking about doing this and I am very interested.
jaten Enthusiast
Just review the recipies, I was wondering if a motivated person on the board would like to compile a cook book, Ginko's could put it together and we could buy if from that motivated person. Recipies with brand names to make it easy, would be a wonderful help to new and old members here.

As well, as a little profit for the effort. I would buy it in heart beat.

Oh, yeah, that's a great idea. (not me, I'm spending all my free time putting on a wedding in THREE MONTHS, for 500 of my closest and dearest friends :blink: ..... take a deep breath, Lisa.)

Any takers.

Lisa

Is it just me or does it seem unethical for someone to compile everyone else's recipes for a profit? I do print them and am creating a recipe file (notebook) for personal use so that my dh and I have delicious variety. IMO that's the use that seems the intent of this forum.

I deeply appreciate everyone's willingness to share such wonderful recipes.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Is it just me or does it seem unethical for someone to compile everyone else's recipes for a profit? I do print them and am creating a recipe file (notebook) for personal use so that my dh and I have delicious variety. IMO that's the use that seems the intent of this forum.

I deeply appreciate everyone's willingness to share such wonderful recipes.

If I was unclear, I'll clarify that I have thought about compiling my own recipes, but would NOT want anyone else to include my recipes in their compilations. (Not like I think anyone here would, of course. Just trying to clarify if I hadn't been clear myself.)

jaten Enthusiast
If I was unclear, I'll clarify that I have thought about compiling my own recipes, but would NOT want anyone else to include my recipes in their compilations. (Not like I think anyone here would, of course. Just trying to clarify if I hadn't been clear myself.)

I thought that was what you meant. I'm sure I just misunderstood another comment.

• 2 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Salmon and Carrot Bake

Salmon, fresh or unthawed (as many pieces as you want)

1 bag of baby carrots

1-2 tablespoons of oil or sauce (fish sauce or olive oil)

Mrs Dash Original Spice (to taste)

10 cloves

optional:

1 onion

5 green onions

mushrooms

Place everything in a casserole dish and bake until the salmon is done, usually 15-20 minutes.

Turkey Stir Fry

2 cups cooked turkey

4 cups broccoli

1 red pepper, diced

1 onion, diced

5 green onions, diced

4-5 garlic cloves, minced

10 cloves

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons chili sauce (Thai Kitchen)

2 tablespoon fish sauce (Thai Kitchen)

2 cups cooked basmatti rice

2 tablespoons olive oil

Cook vegetables, cloves, oil, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon fish sauce on high heat until the vegetables are tender. Add turkey and cook until the turkey is warm. Add rice and the rest of the soy sauce and fish sauce. Add chili sauce. Mix and Serve.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

I made these recipes this week and they are amazing!

Hot and Sour Soup

Recipe modified from VH

5 cups of water, add more if necessary

1 extra large carrot or 2 small carrots, minced in a blender or food processor

1 large celery stick or 2 small celery sticks, minced in a blender or food processor

2 cups of spinach leaves, minced in a blender or food processor

1 red pepper, diced

3-4 green onions, diced

2 cups of gluten free noodles, I use Thai Kichen rice noodles

3/4 cup of VH Asian Five Spice sauce, add more if necessary

1-2 tablespoons chili sauce, optional (I use Thai Kicken Spicy Thai Chili Sauce)

1-2 McCormick all-vegetable bouillon (vegetable, chicken, or beef)

2 tablespoons of vinegar

Put everything in a large pot, bring to a boil and then cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Very tasty.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Recipe modified from VH

1 package of plain (non breaded) chicken strips

3-4 cloves of garlic, minced

1 small lemon, juice only

4-5 green onions, diced

1 yellow onion, diced

1 cup of water

1 McCormick all-vegetable bouillon (vegetable, chicken, or beef)

½ cup - 1 cup of VH Sweet'n Sour Dip

Cook chicken, garlic, onions, water, lemon juice and bouillon until the water is evaporated. Add sauce and cook until the chicken is done. Serve.

natalunia Rookie

Does anyone know how I can make roux for gumbo and etoufee, now that I'm giving up wheat flour? I am cajun and live in southeast texas (as close to Louisiana as you can get with not actually being there), so gumbo and etoufee are important to me. Will Bob's Mill all purpose gluten free blend work, or is something else a better bet? Will the gluten free flours brown like wheat flour?

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Does anyone know how I can make roux for gumbo and etoufee, now that I'm giving up wheat flour?
Corn starch may work. I tried making roux once and it turned out well. This is my recipe:

Heat ½ soy butter and ½ gluten-free flour (I used kinnikinick all purpose flour mix) in a small frying pan or sauce pan until the mixture thickens.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Carrie,

Thanks for all the time to type out these recipes. They all look so good. I also like stir fried dishes.

I'm wondering if you ever made scalloped potatoes. I'm thinking about my easter dinner and I usually make those with a ham. I know cornstarch is good for stir fries but does it stand up as a thickner in a baked dish or does it break down and get watery. Thanks again for these wonderful recipes.

GAil

jerseyangel Proficient
Does anyone know how I can make roux for gumbo and etoufee, now that I'm giving up wheat flour? I am cajun and live in southeast texas (as close to Louisiana as you can get with not actually being there), so gumbo and etoufee are important to me. Will Bob's Mill all purpose gluten free blend work, or is something else a better bet? Will the gluten free flours brown like wheat flour?

I use potato starch. It's worked fine for my needs--but I've not used it to make the dishes you are wanting to make.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Carrie,

Thanks for all the time to type out these recipes. They all look so good. I also like stir fried dishes.

I'm wondering if you ever made scalloped potatoes. I'm thinking about my easter dinner and I usually make those with a ham. I know cornstarch is good for stir fries but does it stand up as a thickner in a baked dish or does it break down and get watery. Thanks again for these wonderful recipes.

GAil

I haven't made scalloped potatoes in a long time, I'm not even sure if I have ever made them! I will look for a good recipe and I will post it here. I think that one of my gluten-free cookbooks has a recipe.

lorka150 Collaborator
Carrie,

GAil

I have a recipe you might be interested in that I made the other day with potatoes. They aren't scalloped, but I'll type it out if you're interested!

bluejeangirl Contributor

Lorka and Carrie,

If its not a problem please post the recipes and maybe what I"ll do is try them before I actually have it for Easter. I usually have family over and I know they're expecting my scalloped potatoes becuse its a favorite with ham. Or maybe I can make more then one recipe and have everyone vote on which is better. I'll make a game out of it. If anything that will distract them from being dissappointed. I want family members to know I'm not going to make gluten stuff anymore.

Gail

Thanks again.

lorka150 Collaborator

Okay, my 'recipes' are self-created, so here are the basics... Adjust to taste!

In a crockpot:

about 6 potatos, in chunks

garlic and onion (i omit these when i make it for me (i'm sensitive to them), but i am sure it tastes better with them)

soymilk

soy margarine

1/2 c. nutritional yeast

about 1/4 c. flour (amaranth or soy or both worked well)

1 c. ground nuts or flax

some broth (a few cups)

Braggs (about 1/8-1/4 c)

pepper

I just do it around 8am and turn it off at dinner.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Scallaped Potatoes with a New Twist

1 medium onion, diced

1/2 cup celery leaves

3 tsp butter/soy butter

2 tbsp potato starch

2 tbsp gluten-free chicken stock powder or 2 McCormick all-vegetable bouillon (vegetable, chicken, or beef)

3 to 4 cups of water (I'm sure you could use something like almond or rice milk)

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced

In a food processor, combine onion, celery leaves, butter, potato starch, chicken stock powder, 3 cups water and ground pepper until combined. Set aside. In a casserole dish, spread potatoes evenly. Pour sauce over top. If necessary, add extra water so potatoes are almost covered. The amount depends on the size and shape of the dish. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven for 75 to 90 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.

I found this recipe in 125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt

lorka150, that recipe looks good!

jerseyangel Proficient

Carrie--You never cease to amaze me with your recipes! I love scalloped potatoes, and you discovered a way to make them with no grain or dairy at all. I am so making this--THANKS! :D

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks! I did get that recipe from a gluten-free cookbook though. I'm going to modify the recipe when I make it myself. Here is another good recipe:

Omelette

1 green/yellow/orange pepper, diced

1 red pepper, diced

1 onion, diced

3-4 cloves of garlic, mined

1 tbsp Mrs. Dash Original Spice

1-2 tbsp olive oil

2-3 eggs

hot chili sauce (I use Thai Kicken Spicy Thai Chili Sauce)

Cook vegetables in oil for 5 to 10 minutes. Add eggs and spice and mix altogether until the eggs are done. Serve with chili sauce.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Thanks Carrie and Lorka, I'm just a beginner so using different types of flour to thicken is new to me. Its best I use recipes in the beginning because I don't know how much will thicken a liquid. I'll say one thing these recipes looks alot healthier then using flour, butter and milk. Thats exciting, healthy scalloped potatoes. :):)

Gail

Cheri A Contributor

Yummy scalloped potato recipes!! Thanks ladies!! I will try this with the leftover ham after Easter!

Carrie ~ where do you find the McCormick bouillon? I have looked at both my grocery stores in the soup and the baking aise/where the condiments are and cannot find them. :( I've been making my own chicken broth and freezing it, but it lacks the flavor that the bouillon would have. Thanks!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Carrie ~ where do you find the McCormick bouillon? I have looked at both my grocery stores in the soup and the baking aise/where the condiments are and cannot find them. sad.gif I've been making my own chicken broth and freezing it, but it lacks the flavor that the bouillon would have. Thanks!
I found the bouillon at Sobey's, my local grocery store. I find that the larger grocery stores tend to carry the most products. If you cannot find McCormick bouillon, maybe try and see if you can find Imagine chicken broth. Imagine chicken broth could replace the bouillon in my recipes.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

"Are the soups and broths gluten free?

All varieties except Organic Creamy Chicken and Organic Soy Ginger Noodle Broth."

Cheri A Contributor

Thanks Carrie! I'll keep looking for it. I have tried Imagine Broth and didn't like it.

Another question.. you have made me a lover of Mrs. Dash Original...are all the flavors gluten free?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Thanks Carrie! I'll keep looking for it. I have tried Imagine Broth and didn't like it.

Another question.. you have made me a lover of Mrs. Dash Original...are all the flavors gluten free?

They are in Canada...not sure about the States. Here's the response I got:

Hello Linda: Thank you for your inquiry. All Mrs. Dash products are gluten free. I trust this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Linda Lee

Consumer Relations

Alberto Culver Canada Inc.

506 Kipling Avenue

Toronto, Ontario M8Z 5E2

1 800 268-0692 ex 301

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for the information Linda! I like having updates! My favorite flavour of Mrs. Dash is the Original. I use that flavour all the time!

Archived